Beef Brisket...where to buy?

BCofer

Fellow smokers, I'm all set to tackle a beef brisket this weekend, or at least I thought I was. I have been buying all of my meat from Costco so far, but I just told a buddy at work that I was going to try brisket, and he told me he didn't think Costco carried it. So I figured no worries, I'll try a grocery store somewhere. I haven't been anywhere yet except for the world wide web, and I can't seem to find any of my local grocery stores that carries flat cut beef brisket! I know it has to be available somewhere and I'm just doing a poor job of searching, but can someone point me in the right direction? If it makes a difference, I'm in VA, so Farm Fresh, Food Lion, obviously Walmart are the closest to me. I'm kind of embarrassed to ask, but I swear I can't seem to find it!

Thanks to all,
Brad

:eek:

I'd call Costco and ask, if you haven't.
My local one here in St Louis had Prime packers the other day for $3.79/lb.
They do have a lot of fat on them though.

Thanks guys, I'll give Costco a call. Interesting that you mentioned full packers vs flat cuts. I've been trying to quickly get up to speed on what I should get and I think I've decided on just flat cuts. But I'm willing to listen to arguments for the full packers. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Brad

I thought I'd ask this here. i have a 5 pound flat that i bought from Costco in my freezer. I generally do not foil my briskets. Do people find that smaller flats dry out more easily and therefore should be foiled? I can't say I've noticed a difference, but I'd like some opinions. thanks.

Any local butcher shops?? I'm always buying in things that customers request (if I can get them). If you have a butcher close by, ask the owner if he carries them, and if he doesn't could he buy some in? Another place to check is a local slaughterhouse, especially if they are USDA inspected.

Our local Meijer store sometimes carries flats around 5 pounds, but it's hit or miss. There area couple high-end grocery stores not too far away that stock full packers. Never checked Costco.

BJs in Chesapeake has them, usually around 4-5lbs. Wal-Mart has them too, but I've never tried one from there (I don't buy meat from a store if they don't have a butcher :) )

Wally World. I'm embarrassed to admit that since I cut meat for a living. I figure they can't screw it up since its vacuumed sealed and not injected or frozen. I only buy the Choice grade whole packer when they have them.

Last edited:
Yep, Wally World is where I get them. Choice is a bit better than select, but I've turned out good BBQ with both.

Costco stocks based on regional needs. Here in Texas, I'm surprised there isn't brisket vending machines, we have it just everywhere, even at trucker stops.

Road trip!! Texas flavor!!! They freeze well. Stock up!

Also consider wholesale slaughterhouses. That you have in your state. When I was eating to compete in weightlifting, I needed more protein at a low cost and I called around and bought directly from small farms and slaughterhouses, they will definitely have brisket and trimmed free to your liking. I hope this helps you.

Back