Beef Brisket help: What about the Point?

Grant Narita

TVWBB Fan
Hello guys,

I AM EDITING this first post since my main question is now, better to cook with fat side up or down?

-----

I will be attempting my second try at smoking beef brisket. The first time was actually just the flat and I didn't cook it long enough so it was dry/tough. This time I plan to foil it when it gets to the "stall" as someone suggested, to try and speed up the time during the stall. I plan to cook till it hits 205 degrees. Last time I went to about 190.

This is the first time I will be smoking a whole brisket, which includes the point. When I test for doneness I suppose I want to test with the thermometer in the flat, correct?

Also, I believe the point takes longer to cook? So after the flat part is done, do I cut off the point and put the point back on the smoker? Not sure what to do with the point.

Also, wasn't sure if it was okay to put this under 'grilling' since now I am thinking it should be under 'barbecue'. If it does matter, if someone can move it there that would help.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
When the brisket hits about 195* you should start checking for tender and then every 30 min. until tender. Best way is to use a temp probe in the flat from the side. After 195*, don't worry about temp, only worry about tender. Remember, each brisket will be tender at a different temp. This both brisket and pork butt. As for the point, I have never made burnt ends but I think I will do that for the brisket I am cooking for my mother-in-laws birthday party this saturday so I will have to research that. Good luck.

Your point will be tender before your flat will. Put your thermometer in the thickest part of the flat but check for tender like Bob said. Some people separate and put the point back on for burnt ends. I serve it sliced with the flat. The question with the point is mainly about fat rendering and that's mostly a matter of taste and the fat content of the meat. Cooking at 250 to 275 should render the fat a little better if you are cooking a prime and don't care for ther fat. With choice or select I'd cook in the 225 to 250 range.

Thanks. I will probably cut off the point then when my flat is done, and put the point back in the WSM at a higher temp, while the flat waits and sits off the grill. If that sounds right..

Your point will be tender before your flat will. Put your thermometer in the thickest part of the flat but check for tender like Bob said. Some people separate and put the point back on for burnt ends. I serve it sliced with the flat. The question with the point is mainly about fat rendering and that's mostly a matter of taste and the fat content of the meat. Cooking at 250 to 275 should render the fat a little better if you are cooking a prime and don't care for ther fat. With choice or select I'd cook in the 225 to 250 range.

I agree with this. Myself, I separate the flat and the point before smoking, and remove each as they become tender. My rationale: 1) they're different muscles and cook differently; 2) more crust. 3) It all gets done faster. 4) You don't get parts of the roast done, parts underdone, and parts overdone.

On this cook the point was done at 193* and the flat at 201*.

I do use a BGE for my overnight cooks, but the meat doesn't care what you use. On the BGE I stack point over flat so the fat from the point drips onto the flat. On a kettle or a WSM I'd go side-to-side without worrying about it.

cooked%20brisket_zpscjhvqd28.jpg

Burnt ends: cut the point into cubes, shake some rub on them, drizzle with sauce and then back over the heat for about 45 minutes.

burnt%20ends_zpsc6x1fh3i.jpg

Slice the flat.

sliced%20flat_zpsr9gevi84.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. I was just getting back on here to ask how do I make burnt ends! Still not sure if I want to do the burnt ends or just keep it all together and wait till the flat is done. I am still so new to this..

I agree with this. Myself, I separate the flat and the point before smoking, and remove each as they become tender. My rationale: 1) they're different muscles and cook differently; 2) more crust. 3) It all gets done faster. 4) You don't get parts of the roast done, parts underdone, and parts overdone.

On this cook the point was done at 193* and the flat at 201*.

I do use a BGE for my overnight cooks, but the meat doesn't care what you use. On the BGE I stack point over flat so the fat from the point drips onto the flat. On a kettle or a WSM I'd go side-to-side without worrying about it.

cooked%20brisket_zpscjhvqd28.jpg

Burnt ends: cut the point into cubes, shake some rub on them, drizzle with sauce and then back over the heat for about 45 minutes.

burnt%20ends_zpsc6x1fh3i.jpg

Slice the flat.

sliced%20flat_zpsr9gevi84.jpg

Tnx Tom for sharing this tecnique with us.

Dustin
Please let me understand: do you assert that more fat in the meat = more cooking heat needed ???

Couldn't be possible ONLY spreading cooking TIME (in order to get the nice rendering) ???

Last edited:
When the brisket hits about 195* you should start checking for tender and then every 30 min. until tender. Best way is to use a temp probe in the flat from the side. After 195*, don't worry about temp, only worry about tender. Remember, each brisket will be tender at a different temp. This both brisket and pork butt. As for the point, I have never made burnt ends but I think I will do that for the brisket I am cooking for my mother-in-laws birthday party this saturday so I will have to research that. Good luck.

Bob, please, I need to get this better: the probe test in the thickest part of the flat inserting the probe from the sides ???
Not from above as I alwais did ????

Either will work Enrico. I always did it form the top but have been doing it from the side lately and it works. Whatever floats you boat but the main thing is either will work.

Bob, please, I need to get this better: the probe test in the thickest part of the flat inserting the probe from the sides ???
Not from above as I alwais did ????

What do most people do, fat side down or fat side up? Last time I did it fat side down. But I hear different things. I plan to foil at the stall point temperature like 170 or so.

Also, if I don't plan on making burnt ends, do I still need to separate the point from the flat before I start slicing the flat? Or can I just slice them together? Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Dustin
Please let me understand: do you assert that more fat in the meat = more cooking heat needed ???

Couldn't be possible ONLY spreading cooking TIME (in order to get the nice rendering) ???

Good point. I could be exactly wrong. I've heard higher temps renders better. I've also heard longer cooking time renders better. It's probably a combo of both. Probably longer cooking time above the temp at which beef fat renders. That temp will be different for waygu.

Also I've put the probe in both ways. As long as you get it in the right place it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad I found this thread. I have my first full packer and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to cook this monster. I have either my 18.5 WSM or my performer. There is no way this beast 24" long is going to fit in the WSM in one piece and trying to get the performer to play nice as a smoker for 12 -14 hours will be a challenge.
So if I'm understanding what I'm reading it would be okay to separate the point from the flat and use the two shelves in the WSM. I would use the maverick to monitor the point down below and use my thermopop to monitor the flat on top.
Does this sound doable? But like everything else there's 50 ways to smoke your packer.

Last edited:
I'm sure glad I found this thread. I have my first full packer and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to cook this monster. I have either my 18.5 WSM or my performer. There is no way this beast 24" long is going to fit in the WSM in one piece and trying to get the performer to play nice as a smoker for 12 -14 hours will be a challenge.
So if I'm understanding what I'm reading it would be okay to separate the point from the flat and use the two shelves in the WSM. I would use the maverick to monitor the point down below and use my thermopop to monitor the flat on top.
Does this sound doable? But like everything else there's 50 ways to smoke your packer.

I have my brisket in my WSM as we speak. I am cooking the whole thing together, flat and point. I believe that is the most common way to do it. I am expecting to be up every couple of hours tonight to check the temp!

Good one Rich!
Fifty ways to smoke your packer!
"Get out the rack Jack,
Fill up the pan Stan,
Touch off the coal Joel,
Put in some wood Lee,
Just give it to me"
With apologies to Paul Simon

Last edited:

Back