Beef Besides Brisket

Thanks for your thoughts.That would have been a good idea had it been a little thinner. I believe it was just thick enough to make rolling impossible but just thin enough to dry out if you can't. Perfect choice! I blame myself for taking one of a limited assortment instead of going to another store or butcher shop to find exactly what I wanted. Actually, I should be going to a good butcher shop instead of a grocery store chain.

A chuck roll is sometimes called a clod isn’t it? That IS a massive piece of beef but, probably the most similar to a pork shoulder? I can’t answer that one, Tim?
To be clear a rolled chuck and a chuck roll are NOT the same thing! A rolled chuck is exactly what it sounds like the chuck roll is a cut unto itself.

That was what I was looking for all along, a rolled chuck roast, tied with butcher's twine. They didn't have any and I couldn't think of what it was called in order to ask. That, when I was a kid, was what was used for pot roast. It was always tied with twine. I don't remember seeing any flat ones at all, not even a 7 bone, although I'm sure they were around.
Thanks for the terminology lesson. Now I won't sound like so much of a dope when I ask for one.

Thanks. I think I know what I'm looking for now. If I don't see a rolled chuck roast at least I can ask if they have any. I think 3 to 4 lb would be good as a minimum size. Gotta do a search for butcher shops in my area. I bet I could get a good one if I told him how I planned to cook it. Thanks again

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

I get confused with the labeling, cause they seem to change it year to year or store to store.:confused:

Tim. I've heard of clods, but never cooked one and I don't think it's the same as a chuck roll, but I could be wrong.

Tim

In the link posted by Tim, I always get the one that looks like what they are calling a blade roast. Very good, but in my opinion, needs to be foiled. I started with the Stogie method and that is pretty much where I've stayed.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chuckroast1.html

A chuck roll is sometimes called a clod isn’t it? That IS a massive piece of beef but, probably the most similar to a pork shoulder? I can’t answer that one, Tim?
To be clear a rolled chuck and a chuck roll are NOT the same thing! A rolled chuck is exactly what it sounds like the chuck roll is a cut unto itself.

My usual meat source (BJs Wholesale Club) used to have shoulder clods, then switched to chuck rolls. The best pulled beef I've done was a ~20 lb chuck roll. I cut it into 4 equal-sized chunks and smoked it (never wrapping) until it hit about 200 and a bamboo skewer slid in easily. It took about 16 hours with the WSM running between 235-275. Had to reload coals after about 10 hours. I'd rubbed it with what was basically taco seasoning with a bit of extra salt (served it for tacos on a cub scout camping trip along with 20 lb worth of pulled pork and 10 lb of shredded chicken - fed almost 100 hungry kids and parents).

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

I get confused with the labeling, cause they seem to change it year to year or store to store.:confused:

Tim. I've heard of clods, but never cooked one and I don't think it's the same as a chuck roll, but I could be wrong.

Tim

Regional nomenclature for cuts can be very confusing in the US, start chatting with someone in the UK and you will really have a little fun!
As for clod? I’ve been called one before and there are those who say I’ve been cooked, smoked or, baked but I’ve never cooked one either. My GFS sells something they call a pork clod though it looks (through the cryo) like a really big shoulder and the staff has no clue about the butchering process, simply the number on the package.
I did do a “Steamship round” of beef for a buddy for his wedding, did it on a gasser for many many hours and many many many cocktails....consequently we were all pretty naked the following morning. I carved beef for two hours!

Back