Bed in a box

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Wife and I are considering treating ourselves to a new mattress. I am seeing many of the units i.e. Purple, Nectar and so on. Some like Nectar offering a full year trial period and lifetime warranty (though at my age and condition who knows :D) Anyway they seem rather intriguing and we're considering the Nectar (due to attractive pricing, warranty and great reviews and the Purple again due to great reviews).
Wondering if anyone has actually gone through with buying one of these things. How was your experience? How long ago? Still happy? What did you buy?

We purchased a King size Leesa mattress in April 2018 for our new platform bed. It was delivered in a rectangular box that was around 4 1/2 feet tall. The dang thing is the most comfortable mattress we’ve owned and shows no sign of wear to date.

Neighbor got a Caspar, didn’t like it. Just throwing that out there.
Interesting how they deal with “returns”, my neighbor was told to call one of the thrift in town and have them pick it up. Credit applied to his card, no questions no problems! That’s on the plus column for me!

Last edited:
Winkbeds. Im done with the box store crap and soooo glad I made the purchase. Been over a year and love the thing. Still can t believe it came in a box.

I got a cal king purple3, a reverie R650 (power base). cost between queen & king is about 2x.

The purple sleeps cooler, so you'll need more blankets or a fat woman :)

I can't wait for summer, I think it'll be much more comfortable then.

I got the purple2 to begin with, went to the purple store (they're made about 20 miles from me, same as Thermoworks thermometer) & tried the 2, 3, & 4. 2 was too hard, the 4 was too soft, 3 was just right.

Some of the others looked good too, I'll try to see the other contenders.

I got a split cal king first but that sucked, was always falling into the middle of it. My base is split but the halves work as one....so my guest bedroom was "upgraded" with the split Cking. The purple split mattresses may be better but my exp cost $$$$ for a non-returnable POS....split mattresses, and cal kings, seem to have less generous return policies.

Purple regular and the Nectar are on my hit list right now in Queen size. So which is you have? More covers or the fat woman? :D

more covers :) , a fat woman has been suggested.

Check out that power base - it's pretty slick. I should've stuck with the queen size but have no regrets with the cal king (love it)

It sleeps cool though..... like you might need PJs cool :) Once the blankets warm up you're OK, but the grid doesn't hold body temp like regular mattresses, you want the cool side of the pillow: roll over & you have a new fresh section.

I can deal with it in the winter but Summers, I have a remote control ceiling fan, & when I used to drink too much sometimes I'd really overheat. I think it'll be nice on hot summer nights.

We purchased a Bear Mattress that came in a box. After 6 months we loved it so much that we bought another one for our guest room.
Ray

Dont know about brands
But my son and daughter both bought mail order matresses when moved into apartments at college. Sons was delivered by amazon prime. Daughter was ordered thru walmart.com, and picked up locally at walmart near her.

No problems with either. Daughters bed is very comfortable. I put it together. Matress comes vacuum rolled up in small plastic bag. They arent ez to move in future because have no handles or structure to them....big and floppy. We moved her to another apartment once.

Last edited:
We bought one off of amazon to replace the horrific mattress that came in our camper. Worth every penny and every extra pound! As stated above, they are heavy, but well worth it!
Tim

I forgot all they types of foams used in mattresses but I remember thinking Latex was one of the best options......then questioning that as I tried other mattresses in the shop (where I bot the first of 3). I was so tired/overworked while in there. I mainly went to the store I did because they had the power base I wanted @ ~$500 < anywhere else.

Costco carries memory foam mattress / power base combos, I thought about going there too but never did. I went to purple because the salesman mentioned one of them being a "purple killer". I'd never heard of P before then.

The night before I picked up my frame (was impatient), I slept in the back seat of my truck (locked in trailhead parking overnight, dog in the back of the truck, she was freshly sprayed by a skunk):
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?78819-Stinky-Uber

Other things i learned while looking at the new style mattresses; no more box springs, they sit on a platform instead. Can be made with different types of foams, pocket coils, or mix. They seem to all be good on adjustable bases, and coils tend to be in individual pockets (fabric tubea). Many if not most are only single sided.... rotate but dont flip. King size (not ck) has the advantage of bei g able to rotate in 90 degree turns instead of 180 since its so cloae to square

+1 on the Purple matress. We have a king in the master bedroom, and full in son's room. Both are fantastic, no issues.

I forgot all they types of foams used in mattresses but I remember thinking Latex was one of the best options.....
When I bought my latex mattress 10 years ago, I was told in the store, "You sleep in foam and on latex." I prefer the latex for more back support.

All very interesting. No issue on the platform issue as since we currently have an air bed it is on a platform. It's not a sleep number but an imitation of it. Had it about 20 years but company no longer exists and everything else (other than the bladders) are worn out badly

Well decision was made. We got this https://www.samsclub.com/p/serta-queen-mattress-gel-memory-foam/prod21235372?xid=plp_product_1_20 on Saturday and set it up yesterday afternoon. By Sunday evening it was fully expanded. I noted that for the first time in MANY years wife was not snoring so loud that windows rattled and the dead came looking for the disturbance. Me? As usual basically 0 sleep. I don't blame the mattress for that though. Combined with some very severe stress issues, having eaten too much too late in the evening and then doing a quick snooze in front of the TV (maybe about an hour) which is enough to throw off my whole night, I only got about 2 or 3 hours.
It is quite supportive and comfortable though. They have a 120 day trial so we'll see..........................
So many positive reviews on YouTube and other places and also CR rating it as a best buy and overall 6th best one they tested in a field which went into the loftiest price points we felt for $500 it was worth it

LM, $500 for a bed these days that will make a couple happy is a great deal,
and as rare as hens' teeth. I am in the furniture business. The average mattress
and foundation set runs about $1600 these days. Adjustable beds are all the rage
these days. It is very common to see folks laying out $10-12K for split king
adjustable bases and matts. Our top of the line mattress pad for a split king
will run about $500. You did well.

Well I guess the jury is out. But I look at it this way. For $500 even if I don't get the full 10 years out of it I am still WAY ahead of what I had before. Which was very expensive (to me anyway). Setting me back close to $1500 back around the late 90's. Since that bed was problematic long before 10 years

I think you did well too - I <3 my new setup but it was definitely over the top. My previous setup lasted nearly 20 years, and really didn't need to be updated.

Nice to have the option to return it if it just doesn't work out. Mark the date on your calendar though, just in case!

Back