Beauty in Simplicity: The Genesis XX (Jr.)

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Beauty in Simplicity: The Genesis XX (Jr.)

We have had some interesting posts about Genesis Jr. grills. A while back I posted this discussion about the earliest versions of the Jr. They had the odd names "XX" and "XXI" in 1988 before the name was changed to Jr. in 1989 with only model offered:

The Genesis XX was the plain Jane version, stripped down to just one top wood tray with a frame that had only a central horizontal support, whereas all later Jr. grills (and the nicer XXI model) had front and back supports. The XX even removed the thermometer as another cost savings measure.

About 3 1/2 years ago, @Bruce landed a huge haul of old Weber grills from an guy who had let his Weberitis get the better of him. One item was an accumulation of early Jr. parts. Bruce didn't want to mess with them and kindly gave them to me:

Unrestored but partly together.jpeg

Notice those LAWN MOWER wheels!

I totally disassembled and kicked these parts (literally) around my shop all this time since then, but FINALLY picked up from a couple false starts and got busy!

These parts are not all from one grill. The frame definitely dates to 1988 or maybe 1987, having the single support bar. The firebox is a 1991 casting. When we at the TVWBB got the 1988 catalog generously shared by our friends at the Weber Kettel Grill Giants, I became intrigued with the XX model and decided that would be my target:

XX 1988 Weber Catalog.jpg

I have not been able to do hardly any restores since I moved to Indiana, and this was my first one with wood slats in a couple of years. I watched Bruce's video about painting the frame and got that rust treated inside and painted. I replaced the hardware with stainless, but in most cases painted that black to look like teh original.

IMG_3776.JPG

Those lawnmower wheels had to go! Luckily, I have accumulated a good stash of the first version of the Weber 8" plastic wheels. Of course, virtually all have white walls with missing letters. Fortunately, there is a great 3D printer on Etsy who makes those. I used one of his inserts on the front wheel and saved the better one and reused for the back after sanding and repainting white. I also painted the faded wheels satin black. I thought it was worth it to have an original, and who looks much at the back anyway!

IMG_3695.JPGIMG_3773.JPGOriginal Wheel painted.JPG

I had the firebox and end caps sandblasted ages ago, so finally I could install the firebox:

IMG_3772.JPG
TO BE CONTINUED

Attachments

• 1988 Catalog Page Genesis XX and XXI.jpg
    1988 Catalog Page Genesis XX and XXI.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 6
On to burners and grates:

Progress Burners installed.JPGProgress, grates tested out.JPG
The burners are original Weber 304 stainless. They weren't in bad shape, and burners for this size are not easy to find. So, I did what I could to clean them up. The wire brush on my bench grinder got them clean, but the tinting from high heat can't be totally eliminated. I thought it was interesting that back in 1988, the burners did not have the metal screeen OR the plastic "spider guards." Instead, the owner's manual included a full-page warning about those critters building nests inside burner tubes. Although not included in 1988, I decided to upgrade with a set of plastic guards.

IMG_3833.JPG
I also was fortunate to have the original manifold clip that is the same width, but shorter than the ones on the older Genesis grills.

I chose a cheap set of stainless grates to cut to make two matching halves. I went with these because the XX did not have the stamped porcelain coated steel grates but rather chrome plated wire ones. Although no pictures of the inside of an XX seem to exist, I felt using these thinner stainless rods was as close as I would be able to get - not to mention better for cooking. Shout out to @HankBates for the idea of adapting the warming rack meant for the smaller Spirit grill. Even this lowly XX had one of those back then, so Hank's idea made it possible to add that to keep the original look and yet have it made from real stainless.

The two-burner manifold - the same width as a regular 3-burner Genesis one - was OK but was a good candidate for POR-15:

IMG_3810.JPGIMG_3829.JPGIMG_3831.JPG

I did not open up the burner valves, but did lightly lubricate. They pop up and down and "click" distinctly at each setting. Not bad for 35 years old!

I was lucky that the unique control panel was overall in great shape. I touched up one spot on the upper right hand corner with POR-15 covered with gloss black paint. I was also fortunate to get a set of the black knobs in great condition. Even the white pointers looked good:

IMG_3838.JPG

These XX/XXI/Jr. grills had an unusual placement of the igniter in a unique front panel part. My front panel was well-deteriorated from rust, so more POR-15 to the rescue along with high heat gloss black paint. I also was able to use my own designed replacement decal. I had to buy that 80s font for the word "Igniter." The POR-15 is sticky and messy to work with if you are not careful. However, it dries to a hard, almost ceramic finish that reinforces weak, rust-damaged metal:

IMG_3781.JPGIMG_3782.JPG
IMG_3839.JPG

Down below, this very early grill used a different drip pan holder than you see on later Genesis x000 grills. It is a wire design. I had to rust treat and paint this uncommon part to be able to reuse:

IMG_3784.JPG

The wood slats and handle are original vintage Weber ones. I sanded quite a bit and used a very light stain. The wood showed definite grain patterns and some of the deeper stains didn't fully disappear.

IMG_3856.JPG

I suppose I could have gotten the clear, monotone look that many seem to prefer if I had gone with new cedar boards, but I am happy with the final appearance after staining and applying 3 coats of spar urethane:

IMG_3889.JPG

I am waiting on an order of porcelain coated flavorizer bars. This grill has the same double-row setup as the Genesis 1-5 and x000 grills, except that the "long" bars are obviously shorter, and there are fewer of the identical size "short" bars. I will have to cut the long ones from this order to fit my grill. I know stainless is much better, but I wanted to try and keep this grill as close as reasonably possible to original.

Here's a few "photo-op" shots after my sparkling clean restoration was allowed to be moved into our family room for a brief stint:

IMG_3882.JPG
IMG_3888.JPG
Genesis XX Picture.jpgIMG_3883.JPG
My target: From the 1988 catalog Still needs a few touch-ups, but I think I got pretty close. I couldn't resist the red kettle!

Love seeing Junior's restored to their former Glory or in Jon's case better than original.

Fantastic job as usual Jon.

Jeff

Nice work. Believe it or not, I actually have one of those wire drip pan holders (at least I think I still have it).

That is a fabulous restore. I am glad you could bring that old unicorn back to its former glory. Maybe even a bit prettier. The wood looks great and the attention to detail is outstanding. It sounds like you spent as much time researching the grill history and nuances as you did in actually restoring it.

Fantastic job Jon!! What part did you use for the warming rack?
Here is the warming rack on Black Friday sale:

Hisencn 69866 Warming Rack for Weber Spirit I & II 200 Series with Up Front Control, for Weber Spirit E210 S210 E220 S220 Weber GS4 Spirit II Grill, 21.5 inch Grill Rack for Weber Spirit 2 Grill,67026 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0823B6MNX/?tag=tvwb-20

Check out @HankBates post about how to cut to fit a Jr.

Thread 'Genesis Junior stainless warming rack'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/genesis-junior-stainless-warming-rack.96592/

Last edited:
Here is the warming rack on Black Friday sale:

Hisencn 69866 Warming Rack for Weber Spirit I & II 200 Series with Up Front Control, for Weber Spirit E210 S210 E220 S220 Weber GS4 Spirit II Grill, 21.5 inch Grill Rack for Weber Spirit 2 Grill,67026 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0823B6MNX/?tag=tvwb-20

Check out @HankBates post about how to cut to fit a Jr.

Thread 'Genesis Junior stainless warming rack'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/genesis-junior-stainless-warming-rack.96592/
Thanks Jon & Hank 👍🏽

One last thing finally arrived:

IMG_3987.jpeg

You can’t get flavorizer bars sized for the XX/XXI/Jr. grills, but fortunately you can use ones for the regular 13-bar Genesis by cutting down the long E-W bars. You wind up with 2 leftover short bars.

Porcelain-coated flavorizer bars for the older Genesis grills are getting harder to find. Normally, I would go with stainless, but for this special grill I was trying extra hard for authenticity. I put a bead of 1200 degree paint on the cut edge of each bar. Not my first choice, but I don’t see an issue as long as there is curing time and a good burn-off. New grills all have more overspray than the small amount I used.

I also forgot to show the “Patent Pending” scale (actually a reference to the whole grill). This shows it is from ~1988 or older. After the patent for the Genesis design was issued, the scales were changed to show the patent#.

IMG_3843.jpeg

These old scales had a straight pointer and on the regular Genesis were meant to have the pointer tip ride inside a metal bracket with the fuel gauge decal on it. On the XX, XXI and maybe very early Jr. they used the same narrow decal, but it was just applied to the frame leg. That method was later applied to the Genesis x000 grills, and a “dogleg” was added to the pointer to help keep it out of the way.

image.jpg

Someone want to buy a nice Christmas present?

IMG_3906.jpeg

Last edited:

Back