BBQ joints in Southern IL and also St Louis area

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
It looks like were going to do a road trip from Milwaukee to St louis this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of any great "not to miss" BBQ joints either in southern Ill or in the St Louis area?

Were thinking of going down and checking out the 17th st bar and grill (Apple City BBQ) and see they have a location not too far out of St Louis.

While in St Louis we are hoping to get to both of Hulbert Kellers restraunts as well but would be open to any other culinary adventures. thanks for the ideas.

Does anyone know of any must stop good eats along old rt 66 (we won't have time to drive the whole route but could hop on and off it along the way)

See here. Maybe you'll have better luck with them.

We passed up Pappy's which Rick Kramer mentioned. Fast Eddy's in Alton, IL was fun and a heck of a deal.

I'd like to try Keller's restaurants sometime.

Heres a bit more, and somewhere there's been some other discussion about StL.

The "Ariston Cafe" is located on the old Route 66 in Litchfield, IL....south of Springfield, IL. It has been operated by the same owner for decades and has a very good reputation. When I ate there the owner was dressed in a suit and greeted every customer as they entered. Nice place and we enjoyed the meal. I believe they have a website as well. They served a lot of different items (I had a great NY strip), but they also have Greek ancestry and bake fresh baclava and other goodies daily....good stuff. Oh yeah.....it is maybe 2 miles off of I-55 so you can jump off and get back on I-55 in a heartbeat.

If you are going for one BBQ place in St. Louis I would have to suggest Pappy's Smokehouse in the 3000 block of Olive just west of downtown St. Louis.

Rick Kramer......do you agree?

You could try Bandana's, there are several around the area.

http://www.bandanasbbq.com/HTML/home.htm

Well smoked ribs, pulled pork, and beef served dry, with about 5 different type sauces available.
Great sides, except maybe for, IMO, the fried corn. Reasonable prices too.

Spends lots of money while you are here!
icon_biggrin.gif

There's a Bandanas where I live, and its not very good IMO. The one saving grace is the mustard based sauce, which is very good. I have tried it three times, and been equally unimpressed every time. Very little flavor to any of it.

In St. Louis, we've eaten several times at a place called Penny's that is pretty tasty. Their pork steak is ENORMOUS, good sauce too.

I lived in Collinsville (just outside STL on IL side) for a year and now live in Springfield. I suggest 17th st. in O'fallon. Not very big on Bandanas. If you have time to make it up near Springfield (hours drive from STL) I suggest Darcy's Pint. Not a BBQ joint but about the best place in the world for horseshoes. If you dont know what those are, just ask
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Fischer:
If you are going for one BBQ place in St. Louis I would have to suggest Pappy's Smokehouse in the 3000 block of Olive just west of downtown St. Louis.

Rick Kramer......do you agree? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pappy's is the place you must go!

http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/

Absolutely the best BBQ in St. Louis hands down.

Yeah, what they said ... Pappy's!
icon_biggrin.gif

Honestly, I rarely get bbq from out. Mainly because I'm usually highly disappointed. Especially the chains ... Bandana's, Chile's, Applebee's, etc. Yuck! (sorry Bob) There is the Super Smokers on old Rt 66 and Ethyl's Smokehouse in O' Fallon, MO. and Charlotte's Rib in Ballwin, MO. I can't speak from personal experience but all of these Q joints get good reviews as well.

The things that I liked about Pappy's besides having good bbq, was the atmosphere and customer service. Mike, (one of the owners) took the time to introduce me to his partner, the head chef, and show me the kitchen and smoker set up. I really had a good time there. But hey, that's just me!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Horseshoes in Springfield, IL and/or a stop at Fast Eddie's in Alton, IL are both great suggestions as well.

Rick @

Well, since Bandana's isn't getting any votes, I withdraw my nomination.
icon_smile.gif

We don't eat there often, but the one in Arnold, MO, where the local chain started, has always produced food we like. Mainly the ribs for me.

Thanks for the Pappy's recs. I don't like to venture into the 'big city' but it sounds like a must try joint.

icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
I like your attitude Bob!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

My wife likes one of Bandana's sauces. I make her keep it in the garage fridge!
icon_razz.gif

It's just a little ongoing joke with us but it's all in fun!

Hey Tom, here's a review of D'arcy's and a description of a horseshoe. Horseshoe review

and Fast Eddie's Bonair

Enjoy your stay!

Rick @

Wow thanks for the great ideas!!!

We did Kellers burger bar last night. he has four types of beef a Ridgeview Farms Beef, black angus, american kobe, and buffalo (in addition to turkey and a veggie option.

We had the Ridgeview farms one because it was the only one we werent familiar with and while Kobe sounded good we couldn't go too rich, go for bbq for lunch today and then go back to Keller ssteak joint, Sleek tonight.

His signature restaurant is called fluer dy lyss and he doesnt have one in St Louis (just Vegas and San Francisco) but the burger features two of their sauces. A red wine reduction that was very good and a black truffle sauce that was amazing!!! That sauce was worth the trip.

At the steak joing he has a hangar steak that is one of my favorites for its rich flavor, not bad that its also the least expensive on the menu too but I may have to try a strip!!

The ridgeview farms beef had a good flavor but for a place of that caliber I was surprised to have a couple of bits of grizzle in it. But it wasnt much and we really enjoyed it!!

Does anyone know anything about 17th st grill?? Thats the restaurant that has a relationionship with Mike Mills Apple City BBQ team??

Awesome recommendations thanks a bunch

Ive been to 17th St. multiple times. In fact, I believe I have a tshirt from there. I believe Mike Mills owns 17th St. There are at least 4 of them in southern IL. One in O'fallon IL, Murpheysborough (near Carbondale) and I cant remember the other 2. I ate until I almost puked every time I have gone there and if you get a chance I suggest giving it a shot.

pappyssmokehouse.com
Pappys
3106 Olive St
St Louis, MO 63103
(314) 535-4340

Here is my review from yelp
kept thinking 3 or 4 stars. 3 stars is not a bad rating it is not a great rating. It means it is OK and you would go back. 4 stars means I will go back again and again. Well the place did not really merit the 4 stars but it did not deserve 3 either so I will grade higher rather than lower if something sticks out for me. They had some gentleman roving the place making sure everything was OK. I saw a couple ask for a taste of something from the menu and he disappeared and came back with a sample taste for the couple. Hmm. Good move. Next the Pepsi machine ran of diet as he was walking by he overheard someone mention this problem. He went and hooked up a new diet Pepsi. Man this gut cares. I don't think he was the owner but he sure had an interest in the the place working. Bang 4 stars.

I had the ribs with a side of slaw and potato salad. I don't know if these sides were made on the spot or not. They did taste to me "store bought". I do know that the baked beans the sweet potato fires were home made and tasted like they were. I just had a sample of my sons and daughter in laws sides and they were good. The beans were very heavy with molasses which I like The sweet potato fries were outstanding and sure did not need any type of ketchup or sauce. My ribs had the membrane removed and cooked to perfection. So all and all go and enjoy the food. There really is no service but self service so nothing much to talk about the wait staff. The food speaks for itself and it does come out fast.

Charlottes Rib Barbecue
15467 Clayton Rd
Ballwin, MO 63011

(636) 394-3332

my review from yelp

How many people know this is the third location for this BBQ place? I have been going to Charlottes Rib since it was in Kirkwood across from the Central Hardware. That my friends makes me a long time customer if I do the math right at least 45 years and three generations of the Peters clan. What makes this different than any other "rib joint" They have the best onion rings, salad, bread, slaw and french fries known to man. They make all the above mentioned items in the kitchen home made bread and batter and dressings.

Ok what about the Ribs? They are fantastic nice and meaty with a good "St. Louis" style of BBQ sauce. Well not good, excellent. But I am a sucker for the pork steak. Big hunk of meat smoked to perfection and sauced before it gets to you the way it should be in St. Louis. Makes my mouth water just thinking about this place. I do not give my 5 stars to a lot of places but it is as good as it gets.

my favorite place is
Pennies BBQ
4265 Reavis Barracks Rd
Saint Louis, MO 63125

(314) 544-1661

my review from yelp

have been going to this BBQ place for over 10 years. I get the pork steak or the pork kabob. They are huge and very tasty. The sauce they use seems to be a basic sauce with a touch of honey. The prices have gone up over the years but the value is still there. If you are not in the mood for BBQ the hamburger, the BLT, and fried chicken are great choices. I have been served by the same waitress or do they all look the same for many years. Service is very good. You get your food and you get your soft drinks refilled as much as you can drink. No frills just good food served quickly.

My sons favorite place
www.theshavedduck.com
The Shaved Duck
2900 Virgina Ave
Saint Louis, MO 63118

(314) 776-1407

his review from yelp

went here for the first time tonight. Neat little place inside and out. I started off with one of their draft beers, the Crown Valley Worktruck Wheat. I had never heard of it before -- apparently it's made in Ste. Genevieve, and pretty new. It was advertised as being flavored with bananas, and you could definitely tell. At first, I didn't like it, but it really grew on me.

I had been looking at their menu online and knew that I wanted to order their Big Jimmy Sampler -- 4 ribs, pulled pork, pulled chicken and beef brisket -- with a side of their duck fat frites.

As it turns out, our waiter said they no longer offered them as a side! Apparently so many people were getting them as their side item, they were having trouble keeping up due to the care required in preparing them. Fortunately, he was very accommodating. I pointed out the $1 difference between ordering a side item by itself and ordering the duck fat frites by themselves, so he let me get them as my side for a $1 upcharge.

Although the website said brisket was part of the sampler, it seems to have been replaced with smoked pork loin. Ah well. Our dinner came out in a very reasonable amount of time.

The frites were not what I expected. They were THIN -- like, spaghetti thin -- and curly, tangled, and a mess to eat. At first I thought they were bland, but there was a subtle, unique flavor in the background that became more apparent as I ate more. They were interesting, but not all I had hoped.

On the other hand, all of the barbecue was very good, as was their KC-style BBQ sauce. (Their Carolina mustard sauce was decent, but I couldn't taste much of anything in their vinegar-pepper sauce.)

I found myself dipping my fork in the pool of BBQ sauce left behind after I finished eating in order to lick the sauce off. Yum. The friend who I went with asked the waiter if they sold the KC-style sauce, and the waiter went back to ask someone in the kitchen -- they agreed to sell him a pint for $5. As I said before... the waiter was very accommodating.

My friend said it was, without a doubt, the best barbecue he had ever eaten in St. Louis. I think I'm inclined to agree.

pappys was amazing.... definately worth my highest ratings a bbq restaurant can get. The rub on their ribs is something really special to me. cant pin it down and you know they arent going to talk bugt it was really good. the pork was very nice and the brisket was among some of the best I've had ina restaurant. He's really proud of what hes done there and should be. I was shocked that he's on;ly been there for a year or so.

We talked to a couple of the owners there and really enjoyed our meal and our time there. The ribs and the brisket really were great by my standards. I'm going to try and change my approach to rubs a little and have some fun with ribs and briskets as a result.

Not going to make it to Mills 17th st grill on this trip but will save that for a future road trip. May try the place in litchfield on our way back tommorow for breakfast or lunch depending on when we get rolling. if we have time we'll meander a bit on rt 66 before we lose it in Springfield.

If any of you are ever rolling down hwy 39 and pass atown called oglsby check out a little family joint called the root beer shack. they have some really good homemade rootbeer. really creamy..better than my hometown sprecher 9andthats saying alot.

Gotta jump on yelp and rave about pappys though!!! thanks

Anyways thank you to all for the recomendations. This trip to St Louis has only beena tease and there are tons of good eats... we had such a good lunch we had to cancel at kellers sleek steakhouse but still may try to go if we get a second wind.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
It looks like were going to do a road trip from Milwaukee to St louis this weekend and was wondering if anyone knows of any great "not to miss" BBQ joints either in southern Ill or in the St Louis area? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Obviously I'm late to the party....

Next time you pass through Springfield you could visit the Dr. of BBQ on Stanford between 5th and 6th Streets. Very nice guy and I like his ribs.

For the Rte 66 theme try to work in a visit to Cozy Dog in Springfield and Joe Rogers' Chili (aka The Den) is another place I've read about and would like to stop at someday. I've also had a couple of good meals at the Ariston in Litchfield.

And don't forget a stop at White Castle! Sadly, there aren't any closer to us than the Chicago area...

Brad

PS I stopped at the Root Beer Shack (it's an old A&W) this past summer on my way back from Ohio!

A little late, but I love the topic.

Pappy's is great. Genius idea to cook what you got and when you run out... too bad. Makes people line up early just to try things they missed out on the week before.

17th street is very good. Mills is the man, but unfortunately he isn't at the O'fallon location every minute of the day. You might get the best bbq you have ever had, but you might get dry Q sitting in warmers too long.

Here are a couple of hidden gems.

Big Mamma's in Belleville, IL near N.Belt West and Main. This is not competition style BBQ, but more like homestyle with great sides. Nobody has a better pork steak. Everything is awesome.

Richards Ribs in Kirkwood,MO near Big Bend and Lindbergh. Richard and staff are really cool. Everything is perfectly cooked. The sauce is addicting. Try it twice and you will be hooked.

I have heard good things about Saw Mill in Cahokia, IL, but have not tried it yet. If anybody has been there, Please give a run-down.

My family and I ate at 17th Street Grill in Marion (?); of all the barbecue I ate this summer (lots of restaurants throughout the Midwest and Rockies), they had my favorite ribs.

We really had fun on the way back. Sadly the Ariston dosent serve lunch on Saturday so we missed out on it on this trip but it is on a list of must do places. What a throw back and so nicely done.

We did have the Horseshoe in Springfield...wow thats some good eats!!

Brad, we saw Dr BBQ I actually stopped to ask if Ray Lampe had moved north and i think I offended him. May have to try the ribs or go down the street on a future visit.

Were already looking at our calender to maybe do this trip again during this winter and get to some of the places we didn't. We really want to get to the Aristan for dinner.

The only "bad" food of the whole trip was a little cafe in Atlanta Il we saw on the way down that had a sign that said great pies....they were nothing special

Thanks for the ideas...keep em coming were already planning our next trip down there. What a great city and trip.

Back