BBQ joints in Southern IL and also St Louis area

I can't recommend Smoki O's highly enough. It's a little hole in the wall on North Broadway (north of the Edward Jones Dome by about 1/2 mile) in downtown St. Louis. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs and chicken wings are all out of this world. The wings have a cinammon/nutmeg flavor to them that I would love to be able to replicate. Has anybody seen any sauce/rub recipes that have this flavor to them?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
Were already looking at our calender to maybe do this trip again during this winter and get to some of the places we didn't. We really want to get to the Aristan for dinner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom! Please take me with you! I NEED a BBQ roadtrip
icon_biggrin.gif
and I'm on your way outta Milwaukee
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
Were already looking at our calender to maybe do this trip again during this winter and get to some of the places we didn't. We really want to get to the Aristan for dinner.

The only "bad" food of the whole trip was a little cafe in Atlanta Il we saw on the way down that had a sign that said great pies....they were nothing special
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right across the street from the Ariston is Jubelt's. I've never had the food there but last year I picked up a couple of their cherry pies for people, and the comments were positive.

Brad

I'm a year late to this thread....I lived in southern IL for 4 years (Mt. Vernon, 70 miles east of STL). 17th St. is a must if you want to try some good ribs. The pulled pork is average but not outstanding. Make sure to get the beans and potato salad too, both are very good. The three locations that I know of are in Murphysboro, Marion and O'Fallon.

If you are interested in a steak and are going way south on I-57, go to Bruno's in Sesser. It looks like a dive, but is an Italian steak restaurant/bar. You can get an incredible steak with a side of good pasta, and fantastic lemon cake for dessert. Last time I was there they still didn't take cards so bring cash. I left my wife there while I went for some cash....found one working ATM in the town. I got hassled by a shirtless drunk man in the parking lot who recognized me from a job fair a few days earlier, but that's a story for another day.
icon_smile.gif

Hey Ethan, ate up at the 17 th st BBQ place in O'Fallon awhile ago. Had sort of a combo platter. Pretty bad. The ribs were almost meatless. Everything else was so so. WOuldn't go back. HOwever if you drive in to St. Louis there is a place downtown that serves great stuff called Pappy's.I don't particularly care for B.B. ribs but these guys made me a believer. Pretty awesome stuff.Worth the ride.

I have been to 17th st several times. I have visited 3 locations, haven't made it out to the one at the world shooting complex in sparta, il. Met Mike Mills once in Murphysboro. The ribs are excellent as long as they are not dried out which has happened several times to me lately. Ate there twice around Christmas. Seems to me that quality is hit or miss lately. I am fortunate to live equidistant from his restaurants. I would still recommend visiting Murphysboro as that is where the man is. I am smoking my first ribs in a week on my new WSM so I will see if I can match the master. Brunos is great, cash only or they will mail you a bill. If you make it to Murphysboro then you have to stay for the SOIL wine trail and Sunday all you can eat chicken dinner at Giant City state park in the lodge. Good eats on your next trip down this way.

Back