BBQ/Grilling Cookbooks

Nice variety of books there. Re: your kindle books, how does that work? Can you print out a recipe from a kindle?

It's not how many books you have but what you have learned. I have been learning about BBQ and Smoking for well over 50 years. A recipe is so much more than a list of ingredients. Pay attention to the technique and instructions.

Cook Books 2.jpg

My award for the best books goes to Meathead by Meathead Goldwyn, Peace Love and Barbeque by Mike Mills, Franklin Barbeque by Aaron Franklin, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly in that order.

Not all great cooks write good cook books but these are the best. Special thanks to AmazingRibs.com, Meatheads website which has given me more great recipes, tips, and instruction than all these books put together.

Last edited:
Bill, like your collection. See we have some of the same books.

"Special thanks to AmazingRibs.com, Meatheads website which has given me more great recipes, tips, and instruction than all these books put together." Does this mean you have read all of your books?

It's not how many books you have but what you have learned. I have been learning about BBQ and Smoking for well over 50 years. A recipe is so much more than a list of ingredients. Pay attention to the technique and instructions.

View attachment 51088

My award for the best books goes to Meathead by Meathead Goldwyn, Peace Love and Barbeque by Mike Mills, Franklin Barbeque by Aaron Franklin, Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly in that order.

Not all great cooks write good cook books but these are the best. Special thanks to AmazingRibs.com, Meatheads website which has given me more great recipes, tips, and instruction than all these books put together
I actually got those 4 you mention ;)

Nice variety of books there. Re: your kindle books, how does that work? Can you print out a recipe from a kindle?
No, not officially.
Unofficially, you can convert them to pdf files ans print from there.

You can also read the books on computer, tablet and phone.
I'm very bad at following a recipe...
I only follow a recipe when baking or if I am not familar with a certain cuisine.

Isn't it funny how people can be so different.
I LOVE following a recipe. I like it when we get to try a new flavor, a different style of cooking, foods from different parts of the world. And the list goes on. lol

This all started many years ago when a co-worker gave me a car trunk full of cooking mag. she didn't want anymore. Been hooked ever since. :)

Isn't it funny how people can be so different.
I LOVE following a recipe. I like it when we get to try a new flavor, a different style of cooking, foods from different parts of the world. And the list goes on. lol

This all started many years ago when a co-worker gave me a car trunk full of cooking mag. she didn't want anymore. Been hooked ever since. :)
At one point I has over 150 cookbooks But then got a recipe app named paprika. Now I DL, scan, transcribe into Paprika. I had so many cookbooks that I would make 1 or 2 recipes out of. Now I am down to maybe 20 cookbooks. Donated 12 plus years of ATK and other cooking mags to the local library.

HIRSCH, GEORGE

While checking out some of my cookbooks, I came across this recipe. Thought that someone here might be able to use it. Those of you that cook for a large gathering. lol

Hickory Spit-Roasted Chicken

Three 3-pound chickens
1 cup Hickory Rub (recipe follows)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup hickory wood chips, soaked 30 minutes in water

Preheat the grill. Grill Temperature: Medium-low
Place the hickory chips into an iron smoker box and put on the grill for the last 20 minutes of cooking.
Rub the chickens on all sides with the rub. Tie the drumsticks together with cord and tuck the wings behind the back. Insert the spit rod through the cavity of the chicken and secure with adjustable holding forks, taking care the chicken is balanced on the rod. Cook the chicken on the rotisserie for about 45 minutes with the cover down or until juices run clear, basting several times with the olive oil. The chicken can also be cooked for 11/2 hours on an open spit.

Hickory Chicken Rub

1/4 cup sweet paprika
1/4 cup potato starch or flour
1 Tablespoon each: dried thyme, garlic powder, dried rosemary
1 Tablespoon lemon pepper; or 1/2 Tablespoon black pepper and 1/2 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ground allspice

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

Source: "Gather 'Round The Grill-George Hirsch-pub. 1995

1653427107691.png

Finally got all my cookbooks out of the bedroom. There are 2 more shelves not shown here. Moved Raichlen and Weber to the first shelf and the rest are in alphabetical order by author and the 4th shelf has them by country. (so far lol)

I have Aaron Franklin's and Meathead's books for bbq. I plan on buying the Dinosaur BBQ cookbook just for their side dish recipes.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN!!!!!!!!!"

This is a great book for John Wayne fans. Almost all of the recipes have a picture of John Wayne and a bit of information. This is what came with the above recipe.

Did You Know?

Duke was first billed as John Wayne in the 1930 Western "The Big Trail", in which he played rustic-fur-trapper Breck Coleman. It was also his first leading role.
This was first posted in 2020 along with a couple of recipes from his family's cookbook "The Official John Wayne Way to Grill".

In the front of the "Way to Grill" cookbook is this from John Wayne's son:

"My father was a big man with an appetite to match. But, before he was a big man, he was a little boy who didn't have the means to eat steak. As a boy, he usually had to make do with peanut butter on saltine crackers for his lunch. So by the time he could afford to eat steak, he never looked back. My father would have eaten steak and potatoes at every meal, and the phrase "charred medium" still rings in my ears. As much as he enjoyed a well-prepared piece of meat, what John Wayne loved best about a meal was how it brought us all together. Gathered around the grill, trading stories and laughs, a dinner at the end of a long day of work meant good times and better company. I'm pleased to share with you this collection of recipes and techniques, as well as some Wayne family tips for how to get the most out of a bite to eat. Whether you're a tenderfoot behind the grill or an old hand, there's something here for everyone-delivered with Duke's trademark no-nonsense style.

My father wasn't big on cookbooks, but I'm confident this is one he'd approve of. Dig in, Ethan Wayne"

Last edited:
1655136102470.png
This was the prize that Chris gave for last months drawing. So, I thought I would see what it has to offer.

At a quick glance, I saw this. We have tried the two versions posted here by Brian and Brett and enjoyed them both. So, now a third version to try.

Barbecued Char Siu

Marinade
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup bourbon
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 TB. toasted sesame oil
2 TB. peeled, minced fresh ginger
1 TB. minced garlic
2 tsp. Chinese five spice
1/2 tsp. ground white pepper

1 boneless pork loin roast, about 3 lbs.
Ramen (optional)
sliced scallions (optional)
2 large handfuls apple or cherry wood chips

1. In a large bowl whisk the marinade ingredients. Pour off and reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade for basting the roast. Place
the roast in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the remaining marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly.
Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours,
turning occasionally.
2. Remove the roast from the bag and discard the marinade in the bag. Allow the roast to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Soak the wood chips in water for at least 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the charcoal grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F).
5. Drain and add the wood chips to the charcoal. Grill the roast over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the roast registers 150F, 45 minutes to 1 hour, basting occasionally with the reserved 1/2 cup marinade. Do not baste during the final 15 minutes of cooking time. Remove from the grill and let rest for 10 minutes.

Source: Weber's New American Barbecue-Jamie Purviance-2016

Last edited:
Rich, WHEN you do open the book and MAKE a recipe from it, please let me know the results. OK?

I have just been flipping through this book. Then I stopped at a few places and read what Jamie had to say. I finally have realized that this is not a cookbook to just flip through. I will be starting at the very beginning and read everything he has to say. This book is NOT just about how to grill food.

Update-

OK:rolleyes: so I am NOT reading EVERYTHING. How to use all of the grills, charcoal, etc. I am leaving for DH, but I am checking out all the recipes. :giggle:

Update-

OK:rolleyes: so I am NOT reading EVERYTHING. How to use all of the grills, charcoal, etc. I am leaving for DH, but I am checking out all the recipes. :giggle:
and the first thing I read, (I can't believe I did not know this lol) at the bottom of the first recipe (Sea Breeze Barbecued Oysters) Jamie says this.

"Supremes are more than backup singers for Diana Ross. They are also sections of citrus fruit with the membrane removed." Then he goes on to tell us how to do that. Yes, I know we all know how to do it, but I didn't know what it was called.

Rich, WHEN you do open the book and MAKE a recipe from it, please let me know the results. OK?

I have just been flipping through this book. Then I stopped at a few places and read what Jamie had to say. I finally have realized that this is not a cookbook to just flip through. I will be starting at the very beginning and read everything he has to say. This book is NOT just about how to grill food.
I'll let you know. I just checked my recipe files on the computer in July of 2019 I had about 300 today I have 2243. I think that may be why I haven't looked at the book yet.

I'm joining this really late and have not at all read all 14 pages of posts. But I think I have a great contribution. First off, I have at least 15 cookbooks -- several Stephen Raichlen (he's how I got my start with BBQ USA and BBQ Bible and have added a couple since), several Bobby Flay (the guy I believe in), several Weber (including Way to Grill and Smoke) plus others. I don't use them much anymore, though I sometimes get them all out and go through getting ideas for a particular cook I have in mind. (A special difficulty that I have is that in 2013 "the year from hell", my wife was diagnosed with the alpha-gal allergy -- somewhat incorrectly called the red meat allergy since it includes all meat {though not fish and fowl} and it's by-products like milk and cheese and even gelatin. Her case is pretty bad and she can't even eat anything cooked in my grill and WSM! Another aside, 2013 was also the year I had a heart attack and triple bypass, then shortly after my mother died and the diagnosis. Such is life.). Anyway, no matter how good a cook I become. I basically only cook for myself and sometimes for family or friends or for my wife on her Q.

With all that immaterial stuff said, my contribution. My favorite cookbook is "The Everything Tex Mex Cookbook" by Linda Larsen, c2006. Available on Amazon for $19.09 and as Kindle. I have used and reused, annotated and adapted and dog-eared this book more than any other. Broad in scope, I've found use for these recipes indoors and out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220614_150429938.jpg
    IMG_20220614_150429938.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2

Back