BB vs. Spareribs... I'm torn... :-)

Mark_C

Hey All:

I've been a WSM owner for about a year now, and have about a dozen smokes under my belt (all succesful!). I've only smoked Baby Back Ribs, and Pork Butt.

I was thinking of veering off and doing up some spareribs this weekend... but to be honest I'm REALLY kind of getting some last minute doubts. The baby backs are so delicious, that I'm hesitating to even bother with the spareribs (I fire up the smoker rarely -- especially during the winter -- so I want my effort to result in maximum enjoyment :).

Anyone have any thoughts? Words of encouragement, discouragement, sneers, jeers, etc? :)

Thanks!!

- Mark

My suggestion would be to go for it. The worst thing that will happen is you will learn for yourself if you have a preference between the two. I probably smoke more BB's then spares, but that is not because they are better.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

yeah, I know I'll love them... it's not like I've never had them before :) I've just never dedicated my 5 hours to 'em...

I'm just saying that BB are sooooo delicious... tough to convince myself to go another direction. :-(

I prefer baby backs myself, but have done spares. If you've never done 'em I don't think there's any reason not to give them a try at least once.

I tend to do mostly backs, simply because I find them much easier. Having said that you have to try the spares at least once!

Clark

Alright, the spares it is! I called up my butcher and had him set them aside for me... that way I can't change my mind once I'm in there!!! :)

Thanks for your input guys,

Mark

I used to do spares now I only do BB's. I'm into easy these days and that's why I like the BB's. Open up the cryo vac pac and take out the 3 racks of BB's. Take off membrane and sprinkle with rub. From start to finish and onto the WSM about 5-6 min. Spares IMO are a PITA. They have all the wierd small bones and cartilage in them, I hate it when I bite into that stuff. BB's are easy and no hidden surprises. Anywho good luck with the spares cook.

A little late to this party but wanted to throw in my .02; I'm a spares man myself. One of the things I like is that it's a longer smoke. Most of my spare smokes go around 7 hours and seems to make the whole process worth getting everything setup. My .02.

Let us know how they turn out.

HOLY CR@(!!!!! 7 hours???!! Should I really expect such a long smoke...?

I'm doing 4 or 5 racks of St. Louis spares... WSM of course. I know, I know, can't go by time gotta go by pull.... but still. I thought I could expect more 4-6 hours than 7+ hours!!!???

Input from the pros, please!!! :-(

Mark,

Spares do go longer for me as well. For BB'S i allow 5-6 hours and for spares I allow 6-7 hours. They can be done quikcer by wrapping in foil for a longer period but I enjoy the cooking time myself.

You will not be disappointed with spares, to me they do have a better flavor and a different texture to the meat, just cook just like you would BB'S and plan a bit longer and they will turn out great.

Let us know

I think I probably cook mine a bit longer than others do. I do mine at 225 grate . . . could probably speed them up if I did them at 250, but I'm in no hurry . . . where am I going?

The only problem with the spare ribs is trimming them into St. Louis style, but it's not that bad if you have a good knife. I just put two racks on the smoker and should be done around 8 pm so we'll have to snack until then, but either way you can't go wrong as long as you are smokin...

Spares for me. (I voted!) I much prefer their lean-to-fat ratio. They take 4 hours or so for me, at my usual cooktemp; backs about 2.25. I find backs hard to take seriously but I have had fun playing with them of late. I see more in my future. They are an easy prep to be sure.

Chris? Do you have a preference?

i prefer spares.and as ed said,if you have a good sharp knife it should only take you 5 minutes to trim them.or have them trimmed by your butcher if you want.
oh and i cook mine for about 5 to 5 1/2 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DennisM:
I mostly do spares only cause I can get them a lot cheaper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, seems like BBs never go on sale around here!

Steve

Back