BB vs. Spareribs... I'm torn... :-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyone buy fresh "spares"? all around here are frozen in a 2 to 3 slabs package. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's surprising to me. I buy fresh all the time.

Are you sure they are frozen frozen? Fresh meat gets chilled to and shipped at 26-28F and so feel hard (but not rock hard). These get placed in the grocer's fresh display. The frozen tend to be displayed in a freezer.

I know I've bought fresh at Bruno's before (and delivered fresh to their DC when I used to haul meat).

Kevin'
Those spares are hard as a brick, (most of them)
seems they get them in frozen and let them thaw.
That's in the local chain stores. Haven't tried Sams, would anyone know if they're "frozen"?

MY RESULTS:

WOW... those spares are delicious.

I cooked up about 5 racks of spares. They were all incredible, absolutely delicious. I must admit that I would have a hard time deciding what to cook next time I smoke up my ribs!!!

The spares are just delicious, packed with flavor... but that flavor comes from the fat. These puppies are quite a bit fattier than my baby backs.

But oh man the flavor was just something else... wow. I'm really glad I tried them!!!!

Someone said that they smoke BOTH BB and spares?? I'd like to hear the details on that?? In the same smoker? Please share, that will be my answer for next time!!!!

Thanks to all those who chimed in here, and for anyone else wondering... DEFINITELY give them a go, you won't be disappointed!!

I asked the guy at SAMS, he said all there pork was previously frozen. But..freezing for one time isnt bad. Its if you bring them home, freeze them again. I love SAMS ribs, spares or BB's

I just got back from Sams. I went to buy a bologna to smoke tomorrow at work. I haven't had ribs in a while and I was looking them over. I bought some spares. I am going to have to give it another shot. Looks like spares on Saturday.

I do spares. I don't do any of that St. Louis stuff either, just warm them to room temp, cut 'em in half, dust 'em, put them in the rib rack and smoke for EIGHT hours @200F.

When you go that long, the meat falls off the bone and all but the thickest of cartilage is chewable, and I LIKE cartilage, so I just eat it.

Yeah I know, I'm off my rocker but that's how I do my spares. Eight hours over lump with cherry smoke and salt-free rub. When I cook for others, I NEVER have leftovers.

Low-salt sauce with extra habanero added to make it vicious.

Back