Battle I: Eggs Presentation to Judges

Clark, Paul, Rob you guys did an awesome job just fantastic.

Jeff, Don, Gary Great job and congratulations

From my standpoint too hard to judge I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

Here's a few more of the ravioli pics, if this is too many pics Chris just let me know and I will delete.....

Started out making mozza in order to get the whey for the ricotta
068.jpg

The Ricotta was made on the kettle (see prep pic) than caught with cheese cloth and a strainer
086.jpg

It was then mixed with egg as well as onion, garlic and nutmeg to make the ravioli filling (see prep pic for layout)
087.jpg

The bread was an egg dough with parmesan that was flattened with a tortilla press and grilled
050.jpg

059.jpg

Now the bread was sliced, dipped in and egg batter and grilled again
093.jpg

113.jpg

Now for the red pepper sauce, we grilled red peppers, onions and garlic on the kettle (see prep pic) and pureed them with fennel and put through a strainer
041.jpg

062.jpg

066-1.jpg

Now we cooked the red pepper and the butter sauce on the ranch kettle while boiling water for ravioli
099.jpg

And grilled the ravioli one by one
106.jpg

Now a layer of sauce for the final dish
114.jpg

And plated a different way
117.jpg

And plated with the yolk sliced open
125.jpg

And that's it!

Clark

Wow! Amazing, Clark. Just goes to show how hard it is to represent the prep work fully in just 4 pics.

What a great experience this has been. I learned a lot and had a fantastic, albeit stressful, time participating.

Thanks to the judges...in my opinion they were spot on in their critiques. Thanks to "the Canadians"...phenomenal food. And thanks to my teammates, it has been great getting to know you two better.

Although my dish received the lowest scores I'm still pretty proud of it, so following in Clark's footsteps, here's my cook in its entirety.

Mayo fixins'

IMG_5589.jpg

Mayo.

IMG_5591.jpg

Potato salad fixins'

IMG_5595.jpg

Eggs abubble.

IMG_5599.jpg

Bacon going.

IMG_5601.jpg

Eggs chopped.

IMG_5602.jpg

Bacon done.

IMG_5603.jpg

Potatoes going.

IMG_5604.jpg

Deviled Egg Potato salad ready to be combined.

IMG_5605.jpg

Combined and ready.

IMG_5606.jpg

Brioche rolls fixins'

IMG_5609.jpg

Balled up.

IMG_5613.jpg

Flattened out for the 3rd rise.

IMG_5614.jpg

Added some poppy seeds.

IMG_5616.jpg

...and onto the grill.

IMG_5619.jpg

Done.

IMG_5620.jpg

Aioli fixins'

IMG_5625.jpg

Ready.

IMG_5627.jpg

Crab fixins'

IMG_5623.jpg

Butter, garlic, shallot and Old Bay melting together.

IMG_5630.jpg

Then egg tempered into the hot butter mixture and the crab marinated in it before grilling.

IMG_5631.jpg

On.

IMG_5633.jpg

Off.

IMG_5634.jpg

Drink finxins'

IMG_5628.jpg

and, as we've seen, plated.

IMG_5635.jpg

Thanks for looking throughout this event. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Good luck to the next competitors. I hope we can keep this going!

Honestly Don that looks amazing, I would love to eat the whole plate,especially the sandwich. I never thought of trying soft shell crab on the grill. Really wicked job!

Clark

Never tryed that "Soft shell" Crab Don...But if it taste like it looks you just won the comp in my eyes!

But then again its really hard to get a favorite when you cant taste/smell the food. Respect to you all!

Amazing guys!

I showed the pictures around to some non-BBQ folks and the general response is pretty much jaws dropping!

Inspiring - proud to be among you.

My big sister, a chef/restaurant manager for over 20 years, commented that she was blown away by everyone's effort here at Kettle Stadium. I think she expecially liked Don's crab and brioche sandwich. Personally, I had no idea what everyone else put into making their dish until I saw their after-judgement prep pics (which I thoroughly enjoyed). Which got me thinking...

Absolutely, positively AWESOME!!
To repeat another poster, Never did I ever think that some of those dishes could be done on a grill.

STANDING OVATION TO BOTH TEAMS!!

Merciful Heavens! Knowing the participants, I knew this was going to be very good from the start, but you all went far beyond expectations with not only the food but the plating and photography. Phenomenal is only one of the words I would choose.

If the good folks at Weber don't jump on this for advertising purposes, I'll be surprised.

Heartfelt Congratulations to all! You set the bar high.
Rita

Looks fantastic all GJ! One suggestion for future battles .... make it less about pics. White backgrounds only, and only show the plate being presented. Like put the plate in a white box then take the pic.

Thanks for bumping, Jim. Really enjoyed this walk down memory lane. Remembering now how blown away I was with these dishes by some great cooks.

Back