Barbie's Down South Smoked BBQ Beans

Chimayo is an area in New Mexico where chilies are grown. Sub New Mexico pepper which, I believe, The Spice House has. I also believe their version is mild.

I am not a big fan of Texas Pete's but I can sort of see its use here. It's fairly ubiquitous. You could sub Louisiana or Crystal or simply go with Tabasco to taste.

Kevin,

Thank you very much for all the help! They do indeed have New Mexico pepper
icon_cool.gif

I think that Texas Pete tastes much like Crystal and it contributes a vinegar component to the beans.

I used 1/2 teaspoon ground mild Chimayo chile and it gave a slight tingle after eating a few bites. 1/4 teaspoon won't do that. On the other hand, Bryan's amount might make your hair fall out. <Just kidding, Bryan>
icon_biggrin.gif

Rita

I was able to get the Texas Pete at our local Kroger. The first time I made it, I didn't have the Chimayo yet either, so I just used mild Chipotle, they were GREAT! There is hot & mild Chimayo, I used mild and at least 1 tsp, and even at that, still thought I only had the slight twinge after a few bites. My Dad didn't complain, he is 82 with acid reflux problems.

Like Bryan, I too used Sorghum molasses. This thread continuing has me ready for my 3rd try now! I just might have to fire up a batch this weekend too. Haven't decided on the meat yet.

Originally posted by Steve Gervais:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Here's how I do them these days. It's subject to change though.
icon_biggrin.gif

Byran,

Would using your recipe with a substitute (still not sure what to use yet) for the chimayo be mild enough to serve at a party where I don't want much of a zing at all?

Thanks much for sharing your way of making these and any help you can offer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well if you want to keep the Zing down, then you'll want to follow the original recipe pretty close. But my version is not hot by any means. It's got spice, alot of that is from the amount black and or white pepper I put in. Don't know why, but I just love baked beans with mass quantities of black pepper in them, really tastes great IMO with lots O pepper in there. If no chimayo on hand, you can sub Chipotle no worries. Just make sure you taste it first to know it's heat level. As stated before, I have 2 Chipotle powders on hand. One mild and one that will make you want a glass of ice cold milk, some buttered bread and maybe an ice cube or 2. Peppers varry greatly, so know what you have before you use it.
icon_wink.gif
HTH

Thank you so much ya'll for the advice. I think I'll go with the original recipe and either the New Mexico pepper or chipolte sub.

I can't wait to try this recipe for my own consumption with an added extra kick.

One more thing... The original recipe (not sure how I missed that until now) calls for pulled pork and unfortunately I don't have any until I make the butts for the party. I originally planned on doing 2 butts (doing 4 total) on the top with a pan of beans on bottom to collect some juices. Now I'm thinking maybe the best route to go might be to just cook the butts and reserve the needed meat and do the two pans of beans in a seperate cook? That might be a better way to also because I wont have to worry about to much peeking and removing the top rack to stir the beans?

Anyway enough rambling and TY so much again for all your help!

I will be going over to the Q forum with another plea for help, doh.

One more thing... The original recipe (not sure how I missed that until now) calls for pulled pork and unfortunately I don't have any until I make the butts for the party. I originally planned on doing 2 butts (doing 4 total) on the top with a pan of beans on bottom to collect some juices. Now I'm thinking maybe the best route to go might be to just cook the butts and reserve the needed meat and do the two pans of beans in a seperate cook? That might be a better way to also because I wont have to worry about to much peeking and removing the top rack to stir the beans?
Steve, If you look at my posts throughout this thread you'll see I always pre-cook the bacon, (hate how bacon comes out in beans if not pre-cooked) and never add the pulled pork, and never stir the beans.

Bryan, I did notice by your pictures it didn't look like you used any pulled pork. And I will also go the cooked bacon route. Do you only use a 1/4# of bacon like the recipe calls for? Seems like I can never have enough bacon and might up it a bit.

I just got back from the Spice House. 40 dollars later and I forgot to pick up the New Mexico Pepper. So chipolte it will be, not sure how hot this one is yet.

Thanks again, Bryan and all.

Steve, bulk breakfast sausage works instead of pulled pork, and once I had to go to the local BBQ place and buy a pound of pulled pork.

Rita

(hate how bacon comes out in beans if not pre-cooked)

I'm the same way, and was skeptical of the recipe. However, I found that following the directions and laying the bacon on top for an hour or so seemed to cook it enough, not too sure about all the bacon grease though.

the only problem I found with this method was that once the bacon was cut into bit sized pieces, it was next to impossible to get it laid out in a single layer on top.

j biesinger,

Wonder if freezing the bacon, cutting it, then laying it out on top would make it easier to separate the pieces to form a layer.? Not sure if it would take the bacon longer to get cooking going on frozen tho? Can't imagine it would to much..

I will try one that way, and one with cooked bacon when I make the 2 batches tomorrow.

Resting a second cooking grate directly on top of the pan, then laying full strips of bacon right on that, worked out very well for me. It let me check the bacon and then crumble / add it in when it was the doneness that I wanted.

Obviously, I could have accomplished the same thing pre-cooking it in a pan on the range. But, I wanted the drippings in the beans. And I thought to myself, I have an oven running here outside, there's no need to cook on the range.

Todd

That's a great idea if you want the drippings, plus you probably get a little extra smoke flavor on the bacon that way! All this talk made my mouth water, I picked up another can at Sam's today to go with the brisket I got too! Probably start sometime tomorrow for Sunday dinner.

That Chimayo can sneek up on you. I used 1 tablespoon today but omitted Tobasco. The beans did have a bit of an afterkick, but my elderly Dad with sensitive stomach didn't complain.

3rd batch and they just seem to be better every time! And quite amazing... with 75mph winds today! Yes this is KY.

I made these again this past Sat along with some Baby Backs for my Sis, Niece, and Nephew. They flew out of the pan as usual. Have to make 2 pans this Sat for my Niece's graduation party. The pulled pork is done and vac sealed already, will reheat that in some water prior to serving. I'll make 2 pans of Barbies on Friday, then light the WSM and plug in the guru before leaving for work Sat AM. When I get home they'll be done and I'll load up and go.
icon_biggrin.gif
Some pics of last weekends beans.
YHSUB-ItalianBeef008.jpg

WOWIM-ItalianBeef013.jpg

Still as good as ever. The smoker has been sitting idle for a while so my first smoke in a couple of years had to be these beans and Roadside Chicken. Awesome as always. Followed the original recipe except that I used a full teaspoon of Chimayo, replaced tobasco with an extra squire of Texas Pete's, and cooked the bacon first. Here they are at about 1 hour and after about 7 hours. Didn't measure temps but ran full vents open. From hour 3 to 6 moved to top rack with chicken on the bottom.

Oops.. I forgot how to add pics inline.... will have to edit and insert later.

Sweet, yes, but not cloyingly sweet like most. These were the best BBQ baked beans I've tried so far. ***

If anyone would like the small, medium, and large (all 3) recipe for the beans in a Word document, let me know (my email addy is in profiles).

On the strength of Rita's comments -- especially the "not cloyingly sweet" -- I tried the this recipe, and got rave reviews. I made my own attempt at downsizing, but I'm writing Rita to get her Word file.

Mmm mmm good.

Fixed these under 3 racks of loin backs on Saturday and all i can say is wow. Only adjustment we made is we used a 3lb can of Bush"s and my wife adjusted down the size of the rest of the ingredients, did not have chimayo so she used chipotle instead. Best baked beans i have ever tasted.

I'm going to give a version of this recipe a try on the tail end of a brisket cook on Saturday. I am concerned about them being too sweet/syrupy. So I'm thinking of reducing the brown sugar to 3 T, eliminating the syrup, upping the black pepper and using 1 t of Ancho, as I don't have any Chimayo. I'm also concerned that two large onions would be a bit much, so I'm going with one instead. I also plan to cook the bacon over the beans on the WSM and let it drip into the beans before adding it in.

Anyone see any flaws in this plan or have any suggestions?

Back