Barbie's Down South Smoked BBQ Beans

Glad they were a success, J. From one recipe using a 7-pound+ can of beans, I consistantly get 25 to 35 portions (when I serve pulled pork, another hot side and a couple of cold sides and a dessert), but a lot depends on how many other dishes are being served and also the mix of guests (kids, adults, women, men). And probably the type of occasion too.

Rita

That what I figured too. I used 4 cans that were like 3 pounders and the double batch topped off two 13x9 extra deep pans. I was told to cook for 80 so I was actually thinking I might run short.

my philosophy with the wsm is always to fill it up. It isn't any less work to do the double batch. we got a ton left over but grandma loved them so she's gonna get a freezer full.

I liked how the bacon gets incorporated. I dislike soggy bacon, but letting it cook on top first, was a really cool trick. we cut the slices into 1/8's rather than 1/4's and found it to be a bit of a pain getting the little pieces apart and on top of the beans.

I cut the bacon when it's frozen. Yes, getting small pieces apart can be a nuisance. I haven't done it yet, but you might try rendering the bacon in a skillet just until a little fat begins to separate out and stirring it until the pieces separate. Once you begin stirring the beans in the heat of the WSM, they should separate all right just from the friction of stirring them.

What about putting the bacon through the coarse blade of a grinder, or chopping it (frozen) by hand into large chunks and then chopping coarsely in a food processor? Then add a small amount of a liquid component from the recipe and pulse it until the pieces separate?

Just some ideas.
Rita

I think I'm going to do another double batch on Sunday. Stopping by BJs tonight to pick up some big cans of beans (and fill the gas tank).

I've only done this recipe once, I liked it, but it was on the sweet/syrupy side for me. I'm thinking instead of removing the "sweet", that I'll up the "spice" and see if it helps even it out for my personal tastes.

In my infinite laziness, my plan was to simply double all the hot stuff like the chimayo, texas pete, tabasco, and ground pepper. Maybe add a dash of Dave's Insanity to one batch if I'm feeling chilly.

Anybody have recommendations for a spiceier and hotter batch?

Thanks,
Todd

Originally posted by Todd Randall:
Anybody have recommendations for a spiceier and hotter batch?
I double the black pepper and Chimayo always. Kicked up version, Tabasco is about 1.5-2 tsp and I add some chipotle powder. You have to know how hot your Chipotle powder is and figure out how much to add. I have 2 diff ones here. A mild/med one, and one that is smoking hot.
icon_eek.gif
Just depends who I'm making them for on which powder I use. HTH

I think I'm going to do another double batch on Sunday.

Todd-this seriously damages your "meat only, no sides" image.

I agree, I tried to reheat and eat a big bowl of these and it wasn't possible. as a side I thought they were good though. I'm going to back down on the sugars next time, and I'm certainly going to add more burnt ends.

WOW. This recipe really has me jumping with desire to try it. Just the descriptions you've all given are giving me problems with saliva control. However, here's my problem with preparing the recipe.

You all talk about getting cans of beans of different sizes. Has anybody tried making the beans from scratch? In Spain I can't get these cans of beans but have a very wide selection of fresh beans (ones you typically have to let soak in water overnight and then take a good 4 hours to cook slowly on the stovetop).

I really miss baked beans so it would be great if any of you can give me some advice on making them from scratch. For example, what types of beans are used. Since the names of the beans would be different here in Spain a brief description of the bean (uncooked size, color, etc) would be really helpful. If you had a picture of them that would be fantastic. I could just go down to the local market and match the picture up with what they have.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave, I'd prefer to cook these beans from scratch myself, but the question is how to flavor them to imitate the canned Bush's brand, which are not bad for canned beans, IMO.

I've put a request in the RECIPE REQUESTS FORUM.

The ingredient label on Bush's Original Baked Beans states:
Prepared white beans, water, brown sugar, sugar, salt, mustard (vinegar, water, mustard seed, salt, turmeric, paprika), bacon, modified food starch, onion powder, caramel color, spices, garlic powder, natural flavor.

The 7-pound, 5-ounce (3.32 kg) can contains 26 (1/2-cup) servings, so the volume should be 13 cups.

The beans are small white beans, probably navy beans. I never soak my beans and cook them on the stovetop, but generally cook them in a pressure cooker.

Here are some pretty good photos of different varieties of beans:

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/i-beans.html

Rita

Thanks Rita. You hit the nail on the head with the navy beans. I just came across this recipe http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/BAKED-BEANS-233992 and yep, they use navy beans. Don't know why I didn't think of looking on Epicurious earlier.

Am I right in assuming that the canned Bush's are already cooked (you could eat them straight out of the can without heating)? If that's the case, then I'd need to first prepare the basic bean recipe as shown on Epicurious and then use that as the base for the recipe here.

As you mention I also use a pressure cooker sometimes just to reduce the cooking time for the beans, but still always go with an overnight soak to soften them up before the cook.

Dave

Yes, Bush's are cooked and seasoned and ready-to-eat. I don't think you need to make a baked bean recipe first, though. See here.

Todd-this seriously damages your "meat only, no sides" image.

LOL, ya I suppose. Don't get me wrong, I love to eat sides, I just like it when somebody else is cooking and coordinating them to be done with the meat. I suppose I use the excuse of "so I can concentrate on the meat" to my wife, when really I just want to sit out back with the cookers and smoke a cigar and drink a Blue Light.

I have nothing much to do tomorrow, no main cooks planned, so was gonna whip up two batches of these and vac seal / freeze to have on hand. Recently scored a chest freezer off craigslist, plus replaced my old Norge garage fridge with a Kitchen Aid also from Craigs so I have lots of freezer space now
icon_smile.gif

Todd

I suppose I use the excuse of "so I can concentrate on the meat" to my wife, when really I just want to sit out back with the cookers and smoke a cigar and drink a Blue Light.

love it. and the ironic part is we get all the credit and the wife usually ends up doing 90% of the meal prep.

Doesn't bush's make a big deal about how their recipe is top secret?

I'd be up for modifying this recipe to eliminate the bush's. I dont see why it cant be done. I felt the beans were a bit watery even after a 6 hour cook at 260*. Maybe that problem could be eliminated by starting with dried.

I felt the beans were a bit watery even after a 6 hour cook at 260*.

Ya, the last time I did them they went 8 hours before I was happy with the consistency. I can already tell (been 5.5 hours so far) the batches I'm doing today are going to take that long too probably.

I'm ok with starting with Bush's, because I'm lazy and in no way at this point care to know how to do beans from scratch. I'm hoping my doubling the hot stuff will give this batch some bite. I don't want to be sweating eating them or anything, I just don't care for them being syrupy sweet.

Todd

Originally posted by j biesinger:
I'd be up for modifying this recipe to eliminate the bush's. I dont see why it cant be done. I felt the beans were a bit watery even after a 6 hour cook at 260*. Maybe that problem could be eliminated by starting with dried.
If I'm pressed for time, I just drain some of the liquid off of the Bush's beans. You can drain as much as you want to shorten the cooking time.
icon_wink.gif

I'm getting ready to do a double batch later today and I'll check the consistency out again.

Just remember that the beans will thicken quite a bit when they are reheated, so I'm looking for them to be a little soupy when I cook them. I like them served in small bowls, a little too thin to serve in a pile on the plate. I find thick baked beans very heavy on the tummy. I'm going to cut back on the sweetness this time too.

Rita

You can drain as much as you want to shorten the cooking time.
You really can. The beans are cooked so you are essentially cooking to blend flavors. It doesn't take all that long to do this. You are also adding some smoke, so some time is necessary there if you are going that route, but time can be shorter. I usually just add liquid (water, whatever) as needed when I do beans so that when they are nearing done I can just leave it alone and it won't be too soupy. (Another thing you can so to immediately diminish soupiness: plunge a handlblender into the pot several times, or removes some of the beans, purée, then return to the pot.)

Stews (which is what this is) benefit flavor-wise by cooking ahead, cooling, chilling then reheating for service.

Here's how I do them these days. It's subject to change though.
icon_biggrin.gif

Ingredients

1 Can of Bush's Original Baked Beans - undrained (#10 can - 7 lb 5 oz can)

1 large sweet onion - chopped

2/3 cup BBQ sauce

1/3 cup maple syrup

1/3 cup Sorghum molasses

1/4 cup muscavado sugar or brown

3 tsp dry mustard or 1 Heaping TBS of Mister Mustard Hot prepared mustard.

1-1.5 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp Chimayo chili pepper

1 lb cooked bacon break into small pieces if not putting beans under ribs, brisket etc. add 2-3 TBS of bacon grease to the beans when mixing up the sauce.

2 TBS Texas Pete Hot Sauce

2 tsp Tabasco Sauce

My Notes:

BBQ sauce I use Head Country Hickory. I pre cooked the bacon just to eliminate some of the bacon fat. I leave out the green peppers.

I was running late, so I did a double batch in 2 (14") pans for 4 hours at about 285°F (lid) and they were just right. Somewhat soupy but thickened as they cooled. Pans are easier to clean at the recommended lower temperatures.

A note about the amount of the powdered Chimayo chile: I used 1/2 teaspoon per large batch and it gave a pleasant, mild tingle after eating a few bites, just enough to know that there was a little chile in the beans. Definitely would not knock your socks off.

Rita

So excited after all the rave reviews to try a double batch of these for a retirement party this weekend.

Couple questions. We have the Spice House and Penzeys store here in Milwaukee and it looks like neither one carry chimayo. Could I please get some suggestions on a suitable substitute for it. I would like to keep the beans with a pretty low heat factor for the guest also.

One more thing, is the Texas Pete's Hot sauce found in Grocery stores. We have a Woodmans here and I think I remember seeing a pretty vast selection of Hot Sauces on the shelf. If I can't find it is there another brand someone could suggest please.

Thanks so much in advance for any and all help
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Here's how I do them these days. It's subject to change though.
icon_biggrin.gif

Byran,

Would using your recipe with a substitute (still not sure what to use yet) for the chimayo be mild enough to serve at a party where I don't want much of a zing at all?

Thanks much for sharing your way of making these and any help you can offer.

Back