Barbie's Down South Smoked BBQ Beans

Originally posted by Bruce H:
The beans turned out absolutely FANTASTIC!

I have a couple of questions. The recipe is so specific about the chimayo pepper, yet there is only 1/4 teaspoon for well over an 8 lb. recipe? Come on! How on earth can that little bit contribute? I wasn't able to get on short notice, so I used ancho chili, but still never tasted that. Same thing for Texas Pete sauce. I was fortunate to find it at local Kroger, on sale no less, but even that, at 3 tsp, why so specific?
Next time I will even consider part cooking the bacon first. Love the added flavor, can't stand excessive or uncooked fat.

I also avoided the drippings for the same reason. Appreciate the added flavor, but can't take the extra poundage. I will search for alternatives to the suggested pans which are alumnium, with all of the tomato and vinegar base, too much chance for reactive metal.

Thanks for the recipe, I look forward to trying again and posting any tweaks.

Oh yeah, one other thing. If you did put this on the bottom to catch the drippings, how the heck you supposed to stir ecvery 30 minutes as suggested?
Bruce, Glad to hear you liked them. If you read some of my posts in this thread you'll see I just do my own thing. First time making them, I didn't have the Chimayo, used Chipotle instead... I cook the bacon the whole way, never had a problem with the alumnium pans, last 2 times used whatever hot sauce I had, and I never stir them or put meat in except for the bacon. They come out fantastic everytime. I'm not one to really follow a recipe to a T. HTH

I just made the 3 28 oz can recipe this weekend. WOW is all I can say. All of my quests were wild about it too. I made enough for 25, or so the recipe said, but the 14 people at the BBQ ate it all! My wife and I both agree that this is a keeper.

John

John, I'm glad you liked the beans. I can see that I'm going to have to change the number of servings on the recipe. The last time I served the beans, one lady had three servings and each one looked to be about 3/4 cup. I saw it with my own eyes.

BTW, welcome to the group. It's the best group on the Web if I do say so myself.
icon_smile.gif

Rita

Tried to read the whole archive, may have missed this. I don't think I missed much though. I understand the convenience of using the somewhat shallow pans as well as the surface exposed to smoke. But I still have to ask, since we are talking about a really long time along with stirring - has anyone simply cooked with a cast iron Dutch Oven? The larger ones have good surface area, and if you are stirring anyway for such a long time by the recipe there is plenty of opportunity for smoke exposure. I know some folks are not stirring. I might give it a try with a major cook coming up to supply the shore vacation.

Originally posted by r benash:
has anyone simply cooked with a cast iron Dutch Oven? .
Ray, Shure you can use a DO to cook the beans. I don't stir mine and they come out just fine. I do cheat and use the Head Country Hickory BBQ sauce, but the smoke from the long cook def gets in there too.

I'm definitely going to try Bryan's no-stir option next time. I'll be making a double recipe in September; one to serve and one to freeze for October.

Thanks, Bryan!
Rita

Originally posted by Rita Y:
I'm definitely going to try Bryan's no-stir option next time. I'll be making a double recipe in September; one to serve and one to freeze for October.

Thanks, Bryan!
Rita
Rita, I have a special request from my Sister and Brother In Law for a double batch of these for their block party next Sat. I took a double batch of these over for my Nephews grad party last month. People went bonkers over them. Alot of their neighbors were there, and asked my Sis if I could bring some more for the block party. They paid for my ticket, as long as I bring the beans.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
has anyone simply cooked with a cast iron Dutch Oven? .
Ray, Shure you can use a DO to cook the beans. I don't stir mine and they come out just fine. I do cheat and use the Head Country Hickory BBQ sauce, but the smoke from the long cook def gets in there too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool - going to get out the CI pan as well for this to try Kerri's cornbread too. Trip to the shore is planned for a couple weeks from now. Going to make up some beans, cornbread, ham, turkey, and pulled pork.

Giving this another try tomorrow to go with pork shoulder going on tonight... won't be doing the dripping thing, beans will go on top. Likely will stir to maximize the smoke flavor... I typically like the smoke flavor more than most, often will add some chips during process in addition to chunks I started with. I will post my latest modifications once I figure out what they are! Instead of yellow onions, I will be using something called a candy onion from the Farmer's Market. If you haven't tried these, they are amazing just grilled by themselves, but it's the end of the season for them here in KY
icon_frown.gif

Okay, so I still don't see how 1/4 teaspoon of Chimayo Pepper can add... there was so much hype, I had to order some. So it won't be in this batch, but definitely the next! Ouch! The shipping & handling was so painful, I doubled the order just cut down the average, hope this stuff is good!

Bruce, you are right. I think it should read 1/4 teaspoon Chimayo chile powder OR TO TASTE. I fortunately happen to have on hand some wonderful hot and mild Chimayo powder and I use more than that, but I think they mean that 1/4 teaspoon is a starting point.

Rita

Double batch of pleasure ready to go on the WSM in the AM before, I have to go to work.
icon_frown.gif
The Guru is in charge of tomorrows Barbie Beans cook.
icon_biggrin.gif

Beans.jpg

Okay, so I still don't see how 1/4 teaspoon of Chimayo Pepper can add...
Bruce, I'm up to 1 tsp per batch these days for the "Barbie Beans". The Chimayo chili powder is really great stuff. Use it in your chili sometime, in place of the standard/run of the mill grocery store chili powder.
icon_wink.gif

My Chimayo chili powder came in last week so I am anxious to try. I went up to a full tablespoon of chipolte powder last batch with no real notable difference. I have pics, but haven't had time to read the posting instructions yet. I used a stainless steel bowl that is about 13" wide and 6" deep, they took longer than they would in a more shallow bowl, maybe 8 hours. They were FANTASTIC!

My modifications on this batch: All sorghum instead of molasses & maple syrup, chipotle instead of chimayo, candy onions, purple skin/yellow flesh peppers (latter too because that's what I had from farmer's market!), I added 2 cloves of finely minced fresh garlic, and I fried the bacon to crisp first.

My Chimayo chili powder came in last week so I am anxious to try.
Bruce, Did you order the Chimayo from "Da Gift Basket"? If so did you get the Mild or the Hot? I got both of them, just curious. I have chipotle powder here that if I put 1 TBS of it in a batch of beans, not too many people would be able to eat them. Also have another batch from elsewhere, and 1 TBS would be just about right.

Bryan, I ordered from the Santa Fe School of Cooking referred earlier in this thread. I wonder if the heat level is the difference of why the original recipe only called for 1/4 teaspoon. I have to keep the heat down for my Dad, even left out shot of tabasco first time, but added this time, only a slight tinge of heat.

The chipotle I had was totally mild, no heat whatsover. My "benchmark test" is to try on cottage cheese. The Chamayo I got, to me, tastes similar to paprika, with a slight dash of cayenne. I actually think the chipotle has more depth of flavor, but I am holding out judgement until I cook with it. I bought 2 packages, so I have plenty to experiment with!

I love your sig line about "...how big my smoke ring is". Hilarious!

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Double batch of pleasure ready to go on the WSM in the AM before, I have to go to work.
icon_frown.gif
The Guru is in charge of tomorrows Barbie Beans cook.
icon_biggrin.gif

Beans.jpg

How many cans of beans fit into each of those pans? Going to make some for the family while on vacation. Just one of those pans would be enough.

Originally posted by Gerry D.:
How many cans of beans fit into each of those pans? Going to make some for the family while on vacation. Just one of those pans would be enough.
Gerry, I use a #10 can (117oz) of Bush's baked beans for each pan/batch. I'm making up another batch right now to go on the WSM before I go to bed tonight for work tomorrow.
icon_smile.gif

These beans time after time continue too please. The guys at work just love these things. I had to improvise lastnight as I was out of Maple Syrup. Grabbed the only other Maple things in the house. Maple sugar and Maple cinnamon pancake syrup. Worked great, everybody raved again.
icon_smile.gif

I guess you can all add me to the list of believers. I cooked a double batch in 2 extra deep 13x9 reynolds pans in the wsm for about 6 hours over apple wood. I had precooked all the bbq meats two days prior to the picnic, so my wsms were idle, and just about every other means of creating heat were going to be employed for other things. It was really nice using it to handle the beans since its so steady, all I had to do was stir once an hour. I wasn't planning on serving the burnt ends from the pre-cook so they went into the beans along with the required amount of pulled pork, and some nice bacon from a local sausage shop. Everybody loved looking in on them while they were cooking and they got great reviews from everyone who tried them. It turned out that one batch served approximately 80 people. Luckily they were so good that I won't have too much problem getting rid of the left overs to friend and family.

Back