Barbecue Season?

Wayne_R

TVWBB All-Star
I know summer is supposed to be the "official" season for barbecuing/smoking. But I find myself using my WSM more in the fall/winter aka "cooler months". Might have to do to the fact I'm so busy with work during the summer and also I feel like eating more "comfort food" during the cooler months.

Am I the only one that has a seasonally challenged WSM?
icon_confused.gif

Question is, What season do you all use your smoker the most? Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring or all the above?

Might be a good poll question Chris?

Wayne,

I was just thinking about this recently. I seem to use my WSM more in the non-summer months. Don't know if that's coincidence or not, but it just appears to be the case in the slightly more than two years I've had it.

I'm a four-season BBQ'er, too. I can remember several times carrying the rib roast from the smoker to the kitchen with several inches of ice on the deck for Christmas dinner thinking the whole time, "Please don't drop this, please don't drop this."

I Q pretty much year round. Living in Arkansas we have pretty days even in the winter. I cook more during the summer though. We have a pool and a passel of kids that have kids. They show up quite often on summer weekends and most come in the door asking "yall got anything to eat?" or "I see the smoker is going, what are we having and when will it be done?"

gimme a break Solak! What's winter in SD??!! a low of 42'F??!!
yeah, year round here in SE'ern Wisconsin, and I KNOW thar're folks in way up nort Canada that grill an' Que in breathtakin'BELOW 0 temps and LOVE it!

The coldest i've grilled in was -10'F (T-Bones NewYearsEve forget what year)
The coldest i've Que'd in was +5'F with a wind-chill of -15'F (double-butts)

Tip: do not open a cold bottle of beer outside in below 0 temps.
icon_razz.gif

i'm temperature challenged. due to my paraplegia i have to watch the lower part of my body as there is little temp control. so i q, grill, etc in reasonably decent weather. something like 50 to 95 deg. otherwise here in cent calif its good to go almost all year long.

Once the snow hits SW Ontario, I will switch to my drum. There is nothing like smoking a brisket in a blizzard.

I grill or BBQ a few times a week all year.... But not when it is 90+ degrees out. During the hot and humid days of summer, its usually 1 time per week or every other week. I absolutely love grilling and smoking in the dead of winter. Wind, zero degrees, ice, you name it.... I love the challenge, and I am crazy about the taste of good Q in the winter. The heat just turns me into a sissy.

I'm just the opposite, I never cooked outdoors after the temps fall below 40º.

I like to play in the snow ... for awhile but I just don't like getting cold in general.

Here's of photo of a forum member's WSM I saved. (now I can't remember who's. If you identify it, please claim it.)

While I haven't BBQed in that much snow, yet, I BBQ year-round - rain, freezing temps, you name it, the BBQing must go on!
icon_biggrin.gif

This is a reason why I probably will never move any farther North.

I'd consider NH for strictly the beauty and political reasons, but the cold weather...naw.

Originally posted by John Solak:
I cook outside all year long. Sometimes its excruciating out there but somebody has to do it.

I thought that it was always 72 degrees in SanDiego?

I smoke equally year around. Though I do prefer the fall and winter. I like warming my hands over the chimney starter and enjoying my coffee in the dark early morning. It's just my favorite time of year, something about the smell of fall and winter. And of course BBQ and football go perfect together.

Q season starts May 1st and runs right through April 30th. Like most here, I Q year round, but only grill spring summer fall for some reason. I got a thrill last winter when, the day after a big snowstorm I brought in pulled pork for friends at work. I used the piled up snow as a windbreak, sort of like the pic John Mason posted. It's a beautiful thing.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I BBQ and grill all throughout the year. I especially love it in the winter. The worse the weather the better for me. Some may think I'm crazy, but I love the whole man vs mother nature aspect to it.

Back