Bank or Char Baskets

Matt Currie

Hey,

for chicken breasts, burgers and sausages etc how do you guys arrange your coals for direct/indirect.
I have char baskets I could fill and push to one Side. Or I could just bank on one side?
I am leaning towards to baskets just because I have them so why not use them. As long as I got high searing temps for crisping stuff up and a good temp over the indirect side It’s good.
thanks

I find it easier to handle the half burnt coals after they cool if I use the baskets, shake and reuse what remains. I was using 2 baskets at one side till I made a bigger one.

IMG_20191208_173820364.jpg
I use the baskets. Either in the middle or one on each side. Depending on the space I'm looking for, or the moot I'm in.

I have just made this after a YouTube tutorial. Hoping it gives me what I want

Attachments

• DB22E728-11EE-424A-8CE5-CD03610E2C80.jpeg
    DB22E728-11EE-424A-8CE5-CD03610E2C80.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 23
That's a new one to me. I've always just put the two baskets on one side. Here's can example I have a shot of IMG_20191229_165259212.jpg

For wings I always do my baskets in the middle with the wings around the edge. Matt looks like you made the bro and sear really curious if using that you can get more wings on it then ringing the outer edge.

For wings I always do my baskets in the middle with the wings around the edge. Matt looks like you made the bro and sear really curious if using that you can get more wings on it then ringing the outer edge.
For doing wings I will be using my vortex as it is really good for that! I made that purely to hold the bricks in save me piling them on the side and potentially cUing damage to the kettle. I’ll primarily be using this for quick chicken, burgers and sausages. Mainly for when I have people round to the house.

I'm a banker, used to have the baskets but gifted them to my son.
I guess if I had a Performer with gas assist I would have used them more.

Tim

I use baskets for just about all indirect cooking.

This is my wing setup. That's about 3 1/2 pounds of wings. The flame is from a few small chunks of pecan. Wings are very greasy, so I always use a shallow disposable aluminum pan between the baskets to catch the fat. Saves a lot of clean up.

Jeff

Wing setup by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I have just made this after a YouTube tutorial. Hoping it gives me what I want
Since the bottom is open it looks like a full-length charcoal rail; I like the rails because they seem less restrictive.

Also, if you buy another coal grate you can lay it on at a 90-degree offset and your coals will burn longer before they fall through.

I like the baskets, I use them 2 ways a lot. I’ll split them off to the sides if I’m doing something quick, I will put them on one side if going for a slower cook, for example a tri tip I want to take my time on.

Back