Baked Chicken nuggets

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
The other day I shared this recipe for chicken nuggets.

Thread 'Chicken nuggets'
https://tvwbb.com/threads/chicken-nuggets.86534/

I promised to do a baked version since Annalee requested that info that.
For the nuggets I used chicken breasts. They worked just as good as the thighs. So if you prefer all white meat go for it.
One ingredient I didn’t add into the meat mixture from the original recipe was the powdered chicken stock. I just was lazy and didn’t want to bring up a cube. I didn’t miss it so probably will skip it in the future. I did a double batch again.
My plan was to use Panko and season it. Well we didn’t have Panko but we did have a can of Italian seasoned bread crumbs. So that’s what I used. I spread a couple cups on a sheet pan and toasted them in the oven (400°f) for theee minutes. Stirred and toasted for another 3 minutes. Let that cool.
Earlier I had run the meat through the processor and seasoned it. I let it rest in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
For baking I set the oven up at 400°f .
While the oven was preheating I shaped and coated the nuggets. I mixed up an egg with a bit of water. Dipped the shaped meat into the egg wash. Then into the toasted bread crumbs. Places on a wire rack over a sheet pan. I sprayed the nuggets on both sides with olive oil. Once all the nuggets were shaped and breaded into the oven they went. It took 20 minutes to get a good crisp crust in our oven. I flipped them at the ten minute mark.
These were super tasty and Annalee declared them to be superior to the fried version. I don’t know that I’d go that far but they are really good and since we don’t have to set up a fryer I bet we’ll make these more often than the fried ones.
115EE35D-E34F-44AA-BDE7-F5B7A891A26B.jpeg
Ready for the oven

4ED09847-474D-40B9-B4B6-C0F2A3E38809.jpeg
Out of the oven

A3865D4E-925C-49B8-AD17-33E1D47C4328.jpeg

Have to say I would be more inclined to do the baked rather than the fried. They sure look good. I copied your recipe for the fried, but will do the baked first and if all goes well I'll stop there.

Have to say I would be more inclined to do the baked rather than the fried. They sure look good. I copied your recipe for the fried, but will do the baked first and if all goes well I'll stop there.
I bet they will turn out great. Next batch I will use panko and season it. Whatever you used for the crust make sure to toast it. I have found it really helps getting that crispy texture.

Nice, Case. I make these about once/month but have never tried them baked. Appreciate the technique...thanks for posting this!

Nice, Case. I make these about once/month but have never tried them baked. Appreciate the technique...thanks for posting this!
Thank you. Baking will more than likely be our go to route. We really don't fry much, maybe 2-3 times a year.

Next up mass batches and freezing. Will be testing freezing with breading w/out breading and cooking freezer to oven and thawing then cooking. Also cooking then freezing and then reheating.

Very nice and on my to do list!
I wonder how this would do with pork?
Maybe run a loin or butt thru a FP to make Weiner schnitzel nuggets.

Very nice and on my to do list!
I wonder how this would do with pork?
Maybe run a loin or butt thru a FP to make Weiner schnitzel nuggets.
Sure it would be fine. Would even be good with beef. And could be adapted for ground seafood.
The sky's the limit!

We do oven baked nuggets with a store bought mix. We just cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts (BSCB) and bread them and bake them. The mixture is basically Shake n Bake. The problem is that the mix has all kinds of ingredients that I can’t pronounce. So we are going to try to make our own mix. This will be a good start. Thanks for the tip on toasting the bread crumbs. Never thought of that. Also never thought of processing the meat or using dark meat. I’m thinking a mix of white and dark meat might be good. Only problem is that just cutting up BSCB into bit size nuggets is just so easy. They’re not exactly uniform but pretty close. And all you have to clean is your knife and a cutting board.

Bottom line - thanks for the inspiration.

We do oven baked nuggets with a store bought mix. We just cut up boneless skinless chicken breasts (BSCB) and bread them and bake them. The mixture is basically Shake n Bake. The problem is that the mix has all kinds of ingredients that I can’t pronounce. So we are going to try to make our own mix. This will be a good start. Thanks for the tip on toasting the bread crumbs. Never thought of that. Also never thought of processing the meat or using dark meat. I’m thinking a mix of white and dark meat might be good. Only problem is that just cutting up BSCB into bit size nuggets is just so easy. They’re not exactly uniform but pretty close. And all you have to clean is your knife and a cutting board.

Bottom line - thanks for the inspiration.
Thank you. Any mixture of meat will work with this recipe. Heck you could use ground pork or beef.

as for ground versus cubed whole it’s a textural thing. These gave that processed nugget appeal. If you don’t want to dirty up a processor or grinder use pre-ground turkey or chicken from the store. Then you wouldn’t even dirty your knife.

I was thinking about the ground chicken.

When you used the Italian bread crumbs, did you add any other spices? Or, just the browning of the bread crumbs. The mix I’m trying to copy is a little bit spicy. I think some of that is the high salt and msg content in the mix so I’ll need to add something for that.

I was thinking about the ground chicken.

When you used the Italian bread crumbs, did you add any other spices? Or, just the browning of the bread crumbs. The mix I’m trying to copy is a little bit spicy. I think some of that is the high salt and msg content in the mix so I’ll need to add something for that.
I did not add any other spices since the bread crumbs were already seasoned. If I’d used plain Panko I would’ve seasoned them, after toasting.

Back