Bacon

What are the gold cardboard pieces in your vacuum bags called? Thanks 😊
Gold/Silver backed Vacuum Boards or Vacuum backing boards even seen them listed as Salmon boards. I get mine from a Butchers Sundries company in the Uk, but have seen them on Amazon over here also. I get mine a couple of cm smaller than the width of the bag so they comfortably fit in the bag when the salmon/bacon is on it for ease of sliding them in to the bag

Gold/Silver backed Vacuum Boards or Vacuum backing boards even seen them listed as Salmon boards. I get mine from a Butchers Sundries company in the Uk, but have seen them on Amazon over here also. I get mine a couple of cm smaller than the width of the bag so they comfortably fit in the bag when the salmon/bacon is on it for ease of sliding them in to the bag
Thanks. I need them for vacuum packing my smoked fish and sliced smoked products.

Do you ever smoke mackerel, haddock or pollock?

Thanks. I need them for vacuum packing my smoked fish and sliced smoked products.
They a
Do you ever smoke mackerel, haddock or pollock?

Not cold smoked, I have hot smoked cod and haddock on a plank. I do like mackerel but don't trust myself to do it food safe like you get in the supermarkets so stick to grilling it like Sardines.

Cold Smoking I do Salmon - bacon - Cheese - Butter- Garlic & Nuts in the winter months when the outside temp doesn't go above 10 Centigrade mainly. I have tried Breseola but wasn't succesful.

They a

Not cold smoked, I have hot smoked cod and haddock on a plank. I do like mackerel but don't trust myself to do it food safe like you get in the supermarkets so stick to grilling it like Sardines.

Cold Smoking I do Salmon - bacon - Cheese - Butter- Garlic & Nuts in the winter months when the outside temp doesn't go above 10 Centigrade mainly. I have tried Breseola but wasn't succesful.
I cold smoked cod and haddock using my Nova Lox recipe and it turned out great. I recommend trying it.

What are your food safety concerns regarding smoked mackerel?

I cold smoked cod and haddock using my Nova Lox recipe and it turned out great. I recommend trying it.

What are your food safety concerns regarding smoked mackerel?

Quite a few parasites in raw mackerel unfortunately, when cooked properly no problems, they're killed. But would rather it went above 145F and I feel safe then, than cold smoking them @ home.

Will google them and have a look at those recipes

Ed, yep I do know about the nitrite salt (curing salt) which is a reason why I don't want to use it. If it can be avoided.
Agree. Completely with you on this.
When I made beef jerky, (unbelievably awesome) I do not use any cure. But, I do fully cook it, and I do mean fully. And I keep it refrigerated.
Bacon, (no experience) I would have to folllow the esteemed guidance here. Again we agree. With so much salt in all our food, (along with so many...) limit it where we can. Why ruin such a perfect piece of perfection.

Last edited:
Agree. Completely with you on this.
When I made beef jerky, (unbelievably awesome) I do not use any cure. But, I do fully cook it, and I do mean fully. And I keep it refrigerated.
Bacon, (no experience) I would have to folllow the esteemed guidance here. Agan we agree. With so much salt in all our food, (along with so many...) limit it where we can. Why ruin such a perfect piece of perfection.
Well, I think I will be tossing that last hunk of bacon :( Yesterday with the Bomb Cyclone on us I was out at first light after some coffee, breaking my back on that heart attack snow with that POS Toro Snowblower I wasted $1000 on. And funny also, I was listening to a health segment on the radio. They had a Dr on who was saying that anyone born in the 1970s should not be out shoveling snow. Hah! WTH does he think is gonna do it? Not to mention those of us who still remember celebrating VE day and VJ day as separate Holidays :D Anyway after a couple hours of being soaked, back breaking work and frustrated with my new machine, I came in and figured a scrambled egg and bacon taco was in order. So I made lardons from a thick slice of my bacon, scrambled an egg in there as well, warmed a taco shell and had some breakfast while the snow piled up again. Dreading having to do it all over again multiple times. Anyway, last night I discovered the slab of bacon on the counter from that morning. IDK if it would be safe to use or not but having survived 2 VERY serious food poisoning events, I think I will err on the side of caution instead of a hospital trip :oops:
I guess had I actually "cured" it with the pink stuff it would more likely be safe. But even then I would still wonder

Quite a few parasites in raw mackerel unfortunately, when cooked properly no problems, they're killed. But would rather it went above 145F and I feel safe then, than cold smoking them @ home.

Will google them and have a look at those recipes
If you freeze them before cold smoking you will kill them. This is what is required in Canada when making lox with wild pacific salmon.

Well, I think I will be tossing that last hunk of bacon :( Yesterday with the Bomb Cyclone on us I was out at first light after some coffee, breaking my back on that heart attack snow with that POS Toro Snowblower I wasted $1000 on. And funny also, I was listening to a health segment on the radio. They had a Dr on who was saying that anyone born in the 1970s should not be out shoveling snow. Hah! WTH does he think is gonna do it? Not to mention those of us who still remember celebrating VE day and VJ day as separate Holidays :D Anyway after a couple hours of being soaked, back breaking work and frustrated with my new machine, I came in and figured a scrambled egg and bacon taco was in order. So I made lardons from a thick slice of my bacon, scrambled an egg in there as well, warmed a taco shell and had some breakfast while the snow piled up again. Dreading having to do it all over again multiple times. Anyway, last night I discovered the slab of bacon on the counter from that morning. IDK if it would be safe to use or not but having survived 2 VERY serious food poisoning events, I think I will err on the side of caution instead of a hospital trip :oops:
I guess had I actually "cured" it with the pink stuff it would more likely be safe. But even then I would still wonder
The sodium nitrite in the pink salt will set the color (pinkish) and help prevent bacterial growth but does not contribute to curing. BTW, a pink dye is added to let you know that is cure #1 and not just salt. Too much can be not such a good thing. I use it when the cured meat will be cooked only.

Anyway, last night I discovered the slab of bacon on the counter from that morning. IDK if it would be safe to use or not but having survived 2 VERY serious food poisoning events, I think I will err on the side of caution instead of a hospital trip :oops:
Same boat! Life altering food poisoning. Twice. And I am paranoid. When in doubt throw it out.

Back