Bacon

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
For those who've made bacon. I reported a while back I bought a belly and made bacon. Overall not bad but pulled a hunk from the freezer today and realized WAY too salty. So, the question is this: What governs how much salt goes into the meat? Curing time? Actual amount of salt used? Wet cure vs Dry Cure? I want to make it again but somehow cut back on the salt. A lot. I sort of figured it was based on the same principal as "saturation". IOW a liquid can only absorb so much before it becomes saturated. So, given I saw online many people were simply taking handful of salt, no measure just toss it on, let it cure and call it day, then I saw all these "equations" of XX lbs of meat need XX amount of salt.
So, that is the question, how do you get an actual "cure" but control how much salt is actually absorbed into the meat?

Some recommend cutting off a little slice after the cure but before the smoke and if it's too salty, soak it in water a bit and try again. Repeat until you don't think it's too salty.

Did you rinse it well after curing?

Some recommend cutting off a little slice after the cure but before the smoke and if it's too salty, soak it in water a bit and try again. Repeat until you don't think it's too salty.

Did you rinse it well after curing?
Yes, I did. So if you cut off a little piece do you "cook" it up? Since doing that I think might concentrate it a bit. Anyway I got decent flavor just that I needed a second BP pill after eating it :D

Yes, I did. So if you cut off a little piece do you "cook" it up? Since doing that I think might concentrate it a bit. Anyway I got decent flavor just that I needed a second BP pill after eating it :D

Oh, yes. I left out the 'cook it' part. 😇

After having to redesignate a couple of slabs as salt pork, I learned to rinse well and then do a good soak before going into the smoker. About an hour, changing the water twice worked for me.

I use Meatheads recipe and have never had issues:
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/smoked-homemade-bacon/

His right up will answer your questions way better than I.
So I perused it quickly. Two things noted. He's making a "wet cure", and I am attempting a "dry cure". I noted one more thing he's using I was trying to avoid. "pink salt". I guess I can use his cure without the pink salt. IDK why I'm hung up on the dry cure thing. Not even sure if it makes a difference if you end up having to soak the meat to get the salt out anyway. IDK if I am over thinking this. Like I did when I made my first brisket :D

So I perused it quickly. Two things noted. He's making a "wet cure", and I am attempting a "dry cure". I noted one more thing he's using I was trying to avoid. "pink salt". I guess I can use his cure without the pink salt. IDK why I'm hung up on the dry cure thing. Not even sure if it makes a difference if you end up having to soak the meat to get the salt out anyway. IDK if I am over thinking this. Like I did when I made my first brisket :D
I’ve tried both. With dry cure, I had to soak the meat to lower the salt level. i Also found that the salt was heavier toward the outside of the meat.

Using the wet cure, I only rinse the outside well and dry it too. Never had any salt issues.

I always give an overnight in fresh water to draw out excess salt, wet or dry cure. Back when I was curing them briskets at a time for pastrami we used to have to tightly pack the boxes so needed a couple of water changes when desalinating because the water just got salty again!

I’ve tried both. With dry cure, I had to soak the meat to lower the salt level. i Also found that the salt was heavier toward the outside of the meat.

Using the wet cure, I only rinse the outside well and dry it too. Never had any salt issues.
Good to know. I gave away a couple of the pieces of bacon. And everyone really liked it except the overly salty. I guess I could forego using it as actual b/fast bacon and use it instead as flavoring or lardons
But, herein lies another question
Sometimes at the store I see "uncured" bacon. Does bacon actually HAVE to be cured? Could I just slap a pork belly on the smoker (maybe with a light rub or just plain) and simply smoke it? Then use it and season as I find necessary?

Try a dry equalization cure. Your input salt amount is what you end up with. I do a 2% input and my end result is never too salty.

Follow the listed "recipe" with 2% salt and 1% sugar. I guarantee it won't be too salty and you will really like.

The pink salt (Curing salt #1) is a mix of table salt and sodium nitrite. It is needed to keep bacteria from growing in processed foods like hams and hot dogs...and cured bacon. It is recommended for meats that require short cures and will be cooked and eaten relatively quickly. It is not to be used as table salt, hence the pink coloring. Also, do not confuse curing salt with pink Himalayan salt...one is a mix of sodium nitrite/sodium chloride and the other is sodium chloride with naturally occurring minerals.

Note that eating a teaspoon of curing salt can kill you, per this article.

Try a dry equalization cure. Your input salt amount is what you end up with. I do a 2% input and my end result is never too salty.

Follow the listed "recipe" with 2% salt and 1% sugar. I guarantee it won't be too salty and you will really like.

I have added this to my reading encyclopedia on MS Edge. I will be making good use of all the materials I gather here for reference to try it again.

Ed, yep I do know about the nitrite salt (curing salt) which is a reason why I don't want to use it. If it can be avoided. Since once I do it it will be split into smaller hunks, vacuum sealed and deep freezer bound only in large enough pieces to use quickly

The pink salt (Curing salt #1) is a mix of table salt and sodium nitrite. It is needed to keep bacteria from growing in processed foods like hams and hot dogs...and cured bacon. It is recommended for meats that require short cures and will be cooked and eaten relatively quickly. It is not to be used as table salt, hence the pink coloring. Also, do not confuse curing salt with pink Himalayan salt...one is a mix of sodium nitrite/sodium chloride and the other is sodium chloride with naturally occurring minerals.

A teaspoon of Cure #1 contains only 6.25% sodium nitrate. The rest is salt. It's not enough to kill you. A teaspoon of pure sodium nitrate on the other hand would harm you severely.

I have added this to my reading encyclopedia on MS Edge. I will be making good use of all the materials I gather here for reference to try it again.

Ed, yep I do know about the nitrite salt (curing salt) which is a reason why I don't want to use it. If it can be avoided. Since once I do it it will be split into smaller hunks, vacuum sealed and deep freezer bound only in large enough pieces to use quickly

Investigate adding sodium erythorbate to your curing mix. It is a cure accelerator that works with Cure #1. Its a derivative of vitamin C. It also works to drastically reduce the production of nitrosamines produced when cooking bacon. Nitrosamines are thought to be carcinogenic. Commercially produced bacon is required to contain it.

This is the calculator and method I use. I prefer a pork loin joint to belly for the UK equivalent of our Back bacon. Cure joint for 10-14 days depending on size of joint (usually 1-2kg) put it in a vacpac bag and turn every other day to let juices and cure cover all the meat thoroughly to ensure fully cured, wash the salt off and pat dry, once cured and then do 14 hours cold smoke 2x7 hour mazes of wood dust on consecutive nights, in cold smoking cabinet (usually when outside temp is below 10°C during those 14 hours) .

Store in the fridge for a couple of days to let smoke settle. Then slice and vacpack for freezing, with what I won't use 10 days after intital cold smoking.

I Use and experiment with many different spices with my bacon this one had Telicherry Peppercorns, Sumac and Bayleaves mixed with the cure

IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.381c0701c4bda76ab26d5b86b04377ee.JPG

IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.f5276c84830b95e7db11d1eb5b34443b.JPG

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.4a3efd1f6501591f49c5da7044dff9f3.JPG

After Curing and washed off

IMG_0714.thumb.JPG.e1f0038b8e5d5816a675b79012a47149.JPG

Cold smoking with wood dust maze

IMG_0718.thumb.JPG.371b1260a52b79c740ad30f8a36dad24.JPG

After up to 16 hours smoked

IMG_0724.thumb.JPG.4ea288859f271e4ec29a1b5a80832888.JPG

Sliced and ready for vacpaccing

IMG_0726.thumb.JPG.b4388c4f90fcf92930ba1d67dd675b86.JPG

Fried the raw slices of bacon in a frying pan for a bacon cob with tomato ketchup mmmm or part of a good English Fried breakfast

IMG_0732.thumb.JPG.944fe60ba59ac32e56df6e0539a580f3.JPG

Cold smoke sides of salmon also, but only use normal sea salt flakes and various flavourings and alcohol for that

1kg salmon side , toast the spices and crush. Blitz the zest, spices, dill and 100g of the flaky sea salt to a coarse consistency in a food processor and transfer to a bowl. Fold through the remaining salt, sugar and gin.
  • 20 Black Peppercorns
  • 30 Coriander Seeds
  • 20 Juniper berries
  • 2 Limes zested
  • 2 lemons, zested
  • 1 bunch of dill
  • 375g of sea salt
  • 50ml of gin
  • 100g of sugar
  • 1 kg of salmon side
Cure for 10 hours and thoroughly wash all the cure off, I run it under the tap for 15 minutes to make sure and then throughly pat it dry. Then cold smoke for 12 hours store in fridge for 24 hours to let the smoke settle before slicing

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.468878566c73dead76d21fbb15bcfb31.JPG

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.48298e99ea4f418cd6e35d0cbba57f66.JPG

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.d7c370830727fce5757aa914fc6bed3c.JPG

The pork almost looks like a speck ham. Ever since the bad bout of food poisoning caught from chicken contaminated salmon body won't let me do salmon anymore. :( Which is a shame as I love it. (well "loved") it

This is the calculator and method I use. I prefer a pork loin joint to belly for the UK equivalent of our Back bacon. Cure joint for 10-14 days depending on size of joint (usually 1-2kg) put it in a vacpac bag and turn every other day to let juices and cure cover all the meat thoroughly to ensure fully cured, wash the salt off and pat dry, once cured and then do 14 hours cold smoke 2x7 hour mazes of wood dust on consecutive nights, in cold smoking cabinet (usually when outside temp is below 10°C during those 14 hours) .

Store in the fridge for a couple of days to let smoke settle. Then slice and vacpack for freezing, with what I won't use 10 days after intital cold smoking.

I Use and experiment with many different spices with my bacon this one had Telicherry Peppercorns, Sumac and Bayleaves mixed with the cure

IMG_0663.thumb.JPG.381c0701c4bda76ab26d5b86b04377ee.JPG

IMG_0664.thumb.JPG.f5276c84830b95e7db11d1eb5b34443b.JPG

IMG_0665.thumb.JPG.4a3efd1f6501591f49c5da7044dff9f3.JPG

After Curing and washed off

IMG_0714.thumb.JPG.e1f0038b8e5d5816a675b79012a47149.JPG

Cold smoking with wood dust maze

IMG_0718.thumb.JPG.371b1260a52b79c740ad30f8a36dad24.JPG

After up to 16 hours smoked

IMG_0724.thumb.JPG.4ea288859f271e4ec29a1b5a80832888.JPG

Sliced and ready for vacpaccing

IMG_0726.thumb.JPG.b4388c4f90fcf92930ba1d67dd675b86.JPG

Fried the raw slices of bacon in a frying pan for a bacon cob with tomato ketchup mmmm or part of a good English Fried breakfast

IMG_0732.thumb.JPG.944fe60ba59ac32e56df6e0539a580f3.JPG

Cold smoke sides of salmon also, but only use normal sea salt flakes and various flavourings and alcohol for that

1kg salmon side , toast the spices and crush. Blitz the zest, spices, dill and 100g of the flaky sea salt to a coarse consistency in a food processor and transfer to a bowl. Fold through the remaining salt, sugar and gin.
  • 20 Black Peppercorns
  • 30 Coriander Seeds
  • 20 Juniper berries
  • 2 Limes zested
  • 2 lemons, zested
  • 1 bunch of dill
  • 375g of sea salt
  • 50ml of gin
  • 100g of sugar
  • 1 kg of salmon side
Cure for 10 hours and thoroughly wash all the cure off, I run it under the tap for 15 minutes to make sure and then throughly pat it dry. Then cold smoke for 12 hours store in fridge for 24 hours to let the smoke settle before slicing

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.468878566c73dead76d21fbb15bcfb31.JPG

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.48298e99ea4f418cd6e35d0cbba57f66.JPG

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.d7c370830727fce5757aa914fc6bed3c.JPG
What are the gold cardboard pieces in your vacuum bags called? Thanks 😊

Back