Bacon

Wolgast

TVWBB Olympian
I smoked(apple wood)some bacon and a part of a loin a few weeks ago. The belly(on sale) was pre cured(salted).

Everything turned out great!

Will try to cure my own bacon soon but this commercial/store "cured" was great.

Loin: rolled in Thyme,salt,black pepper.

Well nothing more to say i guess.

Everything on the wsm

Done

Why You Need a Meat Slicer! i have to get one ASAP!

The loin.

It turned out great,will cure my own bacon next time. And the loin as lunch meat was Fantastic.

Thx for your time.

Daniel,
Your bacon and loin look Super Good!
Great pics too!

In a couple of days I'll be smoking some bacon that's presently been in the cure for 6 days.
Fingers crossed that it will be as good as yours!

You dont need
thfwp-smiley-09.gif
if you cured it yourself Bob. I bet it will be perfect and what cure did you use?

Still waiting for a good price on some belly to make a BIG batch of great bacon.

Daniel,
One third of the whole, 16 lb., belly is still frozen.
One third is being cured with the Ruhlman maple recipe.
One third is with Tender Quick, brown sugar, coarse black pepper, and a little Penzey's Mural of Flavor.
and yes, the ingredients state rosemary too
icon_smile.gif

I love that crazy belly, it looks like they yanked the ribs right out of it. I'm guessing euro pigs aren't bred for bacon like ours are and they have to sacrifice the ribs to get a piece of meat worth selling.

nice work! loin looks great.

Well thanks for the comments everybody
icon_smile.gif

But i really have to get a hold of a big belly not these small pices like they sell in the supermarkets,i have to go to a butcher to get a big piece of meat.

And ontop of that i really need to make a real cure like Mr Correll

And for the store bought "cured" belly it has only a salty flavour,so the only thing i add is the smoke.

And i think a cure like "Ruhlmans maple" would be great.

Until next time take care!

Back