Bacon made easy

Smoked up some belly a few weeks ago, finally got around to tasting. Smoked to 150* with KBB and apple wood. Followed Bob Correll's "Bacon made easy" before going on the smoker I coated in brown sugar. Couldn't have been easier!

Half way, I had to peek!

Sliced by hand after resting in the freezer.

Cooked some up for a BLT dinner.

Plated with some slaw and cottage cheese.

Turned out awesome! Very sweet, like Pig candy! Not salty at all like some have experienced. Wife and I thought it was the best bacon we ever had! If I can find a place to get it around me cheaper is going to be hard. But I'm still hunting!
Thanks Mr. Correll!

Great thread guys and ladies! Learned a lot by reading through.

My question is, we have a couple of people in the household who can not eat the nitrates that are present in the Morton's cure. Is there another way to naturally cure this without the nitrates?

Maybe I missed something along the way in the thread that covered it, but I didn't see anything.

Thanks for the help!!

With all kinds of respect-
I am not a professional, but please read this thread as a starter: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?45630-Bacon-Question-Curing-concern
Furthermore, recent studies shows that there is no statistical evidence between for example migraine and the intake of nitrites. I do not have the source at hand, but google it. It's not hard to find. Most medical personell won't make a diagnose like "nitrite intollerance", because the natural level in the fluids of grown- ups are like 500 times as high as the amount we manage to eat.
Do the same persons that can not eat foods with Morton's tender quick refrain from eating most kinds of vegetables? Or even worse, swallowing their own spit?

As I've written already in the thread I've linked to, yes, you can make bacon without nitrites. I've done it a lot of times over many years, several times a year for a twenty year period, mostly because I've had no access to nitrites. It is possible, but I can not really se the reason why.

If you want to make bacon without nitrites to keep everyone happy, please do so, but be prepared that some might be turned off by the fact that the meat is going to be grey, and not pink/red. The flavor is not the same, either, but it is'nt a big difference.

Last edited:
Well said, Geir.

Furthermore, if you make bacon using Cure #1 and see the actual amount of pink salt used, then consider what a small fraction of that is actually nitrate, it's practically insignificant (in terms of quantity, not quality) in the final product.

Geir, thanks for the information. I will look into it further. And no offense taken! Our daughter does have an issue with the nitrates though. I have seen it and it has been very severe at times. We are very careful as to what she has, as it does affect her very hard. So anything I can do to help alleviate any of those potential issues, I will.

Thanks again!

Now to try and find some belly.

You can add a certain amount of Vitamin C to smoked foods and meats with nitrites added. This prevents a chemical reaction where nitrite is broken down to nitrosamines.

I'm not saying nitrites are healthy. All the nitrites in processed food is a much larger source than than home made bacon. If not, you are eating way too much bacon.

Thank you Bob and Geir for inspiration!

Here in Bohemia/Slovakia sales mix salt with the addition of 0.6% nitrite. So for me it's even more more easy. Just add 3% of the salt mixture and 2% brown sugar / weight of meat, rubbed garlic, cracked black pepper and bay leaf. I then proceeded to dry curing by Bob's instructions

I will share with you about the course:

Here is 4.75 kg after 7 (+1) days

tmpA0CE.jpg

the exact size of the belly for my 22.5 OTG

tmpC659.jpg

resting a few days in the fridge

tmpA8EC.jpg

slicing after 5 days

tmp963E.jpg

I have enough space in the freezer, fortunately

tmpE4AD.jpg

on baking paper test batch goes into the oven

tmp9EA.jpg

I like it very much

tmp2FD2.jpg

and serve this

tmp7EBE.jpg

I must say that the results of 7 days dry is better than 3 days wet.
You got me Bob. Thanks again.

Edit: And yes, I sprinkled cumin on belly before smoking (sorry Bob:))

Last edited:
Wow!
Outstanding bacon Mildo!
I have never made any as beautiful!

No problem with the cumin brother, just no rosemary please. :)
Your photos, as always, are perfect too.
I do wish you had posted this in the Photo Gallery, since most members do not check this section very often.
And I do hope that you have the chance to post more often!

I do wish you had posted this in the Photo Gallery, since most members do not check this section very often.

OK Bob. But I'm embarrassed me to send my posts, if I do not respond to all the wonderful cooks in the photogallery. It's there.

OK Bob. But I'm embarrassed me to send my posts, if I do not respond to all the wonderful cooks in the photogallery. It's there.

I feel the same way, Mildo. Since we had a baby, I just don't have time to keep up with the photo gallery so I rarely post cooks over there. But your bacon is still gorgeous!

Please don't be embarrassed Mildo or Jon.
The Photo Gallery is a busy place, and several of us have given up on trying to view and/or comment on all of the posts.
Some folks post cook photos, and don't comment much on others.
Some comment often, but don't post many, if any, cooks.
It's all good!

Please don't be embarrassed Mildo or Jon.
The Photo Gallery is a busy place, and several of us have given up on trying to view and/or comment on all of the posts.
Some folks post cook photos, and don't comment much on others.
Some comment often, but don't post many, if any, cooks.
It's all good!

Yeah, thanks you for kick you to my butt and wake me again, Bob:).

Last edited:
Well, after a delay, I am finally jumping onto this band wagon. I know I had stated earlier in this thread about alternates to the nitrates in the MTQ, but after discussions with my family and looking into the alternates, which as Gier had mentioned, are basically all the same and contain the nitrates anyway, I have ordered my MTQ from Stuffers in B.C. Only place I can seem to find it in Canada that is willing to ship the stuff. Ordering from Morton's website is insane in the shipping charge. Will awaiti my delivery and then go to my local meat store, which I know has belly and can't wait to try this out!!

Happy that you found some MTQ Derek!
It's not found in all the grocery stores around here, but one local chain keeps it in stock.

Please post, with pics, when done.

First try....... Thanks Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bought the pork belly last week and cut the skin off, (Thanks Bob). Cured for seven days. I added a dash of light brown sugar and pepper just prior to smoking.
Done!
Bac1-L.jpg

After my butcher job of cutting it. We fried some up tonight and it was great! I’ll be going back next week for another pork belly.

As Always…. thanks for looking.

Bacon%20002-L.jpg

Bacon%20008-L.jpg

Back