Bacon made easy

Looks good, Jim! I can't wait to try this! I thought for sure I wouldn't be able to do this on my WSM without ducting smoke to a box outside of the WSM, but it seems that lots are doing it right on the WSM. I guess just very little coals and little wood you can achieve cold smoking right on the grates.

thank you Tim! and Thank you Bob!
I think next batch, before cutting, i'll toss the slab in the freezer to firm it up a bit so it cuts nicer.

Ok, so I've had a pork loin curing in the fridge for 7 days now (first time to try this). I was planning to rinse/dry/smoke this weekend but I've had some family stuff come up and I'm not going to be able to. How long is too long to let it cure? Or should I just go ahead and rinse it and let it sit in the fridge until I can smoke? I did use Morton Tender Quick (1 T. per pound to cure). Thanks.

Ok, so I've had a pork loin curing in the fridge for 7 days now (first time to try this). I was planning to rinse/dry/smoke this weekend but I've had some family stuff come up and I'm not going to be able to. How long is too long to let it cure? Or should I just go ahead and rinse it and let it sit in the fridge until I can smoke? I did use Morton Tender Quick (1 T. per pound to cure). Thanks.

I wouldn't worry if it goes a few more days.

Awesome. Thanks guys! I'll just continue to cure for a few days. I used MTQ, brown sugar, garlic powder, and onion powder. It smells seriously good. Can hardly wait to finish it. Thanks to Bob C. too of course for sharing his method!

Do most of you slice your bacon the long way or across? Most of my slabs are 7"x12" and I slice along the 12" side. I've found my slices to be too long...

After reading all the posts, my mouth is watering and I have a very strong urge to make some bacon! Could someone please tell me what temps are best for smoking (cold, warm etc) and what the finished temps should be?

Thanks

Al

Run your smoker on 180- 200 degrees. Internal finishing temp 140-150 degrees. Read the post from the beginning, and there are lots of advice to be found.

After reading all the posts, my mouth is watering and I have a very strong urge to make some bacon! Could someone please tell me what temps are best for smoking (cold, warm etc) and what the finished temps should be?

Thanks

Al

I prefer cold smoking, smoke penetrates better and the flavor is far superior.

~Martin

Ok I have read this post so many times and I'm in for doing Canadian bacon but the question is do you mix all the spices together first then rub the loin or do QT first then spices

Keith,
I would put the Tender Quick on first, rub it in, then add any additions.
Personally I don't think spices, or sugar, make much difference in taste if put on with the cure.
Remember, the meat gets rinsed and or soaked after the cure.

Go for it, it's only a piece of meat! :)

Thanks guys. I have it in the cure now so it is going to be a long 7 days. Bob your right it is only meat what do I have to lose

Last edited:
Bob, I have to say that this very easy to do and the finished producted is awesome. My Canadian bacon and bacon was a big hit with the family. I will not be going back to store bought anymore. So I say Thank you very much

Back