Bacon, Keeping the Dream Alive

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Nothing really new to post here, but just wanted to thank everyone here that makes their own bacon for inspiring me to make my own. It's now such a regular thing with me, that I may never buy commercially made bacon again.
If you haven't tried it, do so. Couldn't be easier. I do recommend one using a recipe with pink curing salt (Prague Powder no. 1) "One of the most popular curing salts, Prague powder #1 contains 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% sodium chloride (salt) as per FDA and USDA regulations. A critical component in the meat curing and sausage making process, Prague Powder #1 is essential to prevent food poisoning. Additionally, Prague Powder #1 provides a distinct flavor and helps to prevent product discoloration."
You'll need a digital scale (one with a gram setting is easier I think), fresh pork belly, kosher salt, sugar, 2-gallon plastic bags and a smoker (any kettle grill will do). Here's a recipe worth trying. http://www.simplecomfortfood.com/2011/05/21/homemade-bacon/

Cooler weather seems to be settling in. Our first cool day with a high of 68 and a cool breeze. Feels good to me!
photo-4.jpg

Aiming for an internal temp of 145F. Nearly there. Very low smoke (190-200F) for about 4 hours with a few hickory chunks.
photo-5.jpg

Update: The sun is just beginning to pass behind the hill. Time to start dinner...
photo-6.jpg

Which includes sauteed homemade bacon, summer squash and yellow pear tomatoes with garlic and some good pecorino romano cheese. Enjoy!
photo-7.jpg

Be well all and thanks again! - G

Last edited:
I was just thinking that it's about time to find another pork belly, thanks for pushing me over the edge Gary. That's a neat dish, too. As much as I love eating the slices, the diced up ends make some seriously good eats.

Back