Bachans Japanese Barbecue Sauce.

CPine

TVWBB Member
Anyone have experience with these? They are new to me. I saw them advertised on FB and it sounded good. They are more of a flavored soy sauce but I can see it might be good as a marinade etc... I tried it on a burger and its very good! 3FE4C2EB-8409-418F-AFB2-53EB8CB76B32.jpeg

I've tried it. And you're right, its very much like soy sauce. Its OK, but I've got too many sauces I like better.

Cpine, please keep posting, I love looking at the picture of your cute little boy!!!!

I tried it and I like Mr Yoshida sauce better. Bachan's sauce is very similar but may have ketchup added to it.

I belong to a church with older Japanese lady members that are good cooks. They all now use Mr Yoshida sauce and stopped making their own home brew teriyaki sauces. The squirt bottle that Bachan's comes in is pretty nice FYI.

I’ll giver ‘er a shot.
I am a sucker for yoshida.
That’s my go to soak for tri-tip and sometimes even chicken.
My regular go to bbq sauce is a modified sweet baby rays.
I find that to be a good base.

I've used it as a wing marinade with decent results. We prefer using it as a dipping sauce for potstickers.

I’ll giver ‘er a shot.
I am a sucker for yoshida.
That’s my go to soak for tri-tip and sometimes even chicken.
My regular go to bbq sauce is a modified sweet baby rays.
I find that to be a good base.
What do you modify sweet baby rays with?

Had some decent results with it.

This sauce causes some major arguments amongst my friends. Some love it. Others thinks it’s bland and boring.
I think is better than average but not great.

I like Sweet Baby Rays but I find it way to thick and a tad off when it comes to flavor.
Depending on what I’m doing is how I mod it.
As an example my go to mod is to thin it with something like ACV, apple juice or just water.
I also like to add minced garlic to it some times
Once again depending on what I’m doing or what mood I’m in I might even add some habanero heat to it.
When I mop with it I normally warm it up too.
Just out of the jar is to thick for me and messing with it is rather easy.
Heck I’ve even tossed in some sriracha before.

Anyone have experience with these? They are new to me. I saw them advertised on FB and it sounded good. They are more of a flavored soy sauce but I can see it might be good as a marinade etc... I tried it on a burger and its very good! View attachment 61849
I have the original version... tried it with some tuna steaks and grilled red bell peppers and snow peas over rice. It was a five star experience. I've been a little hesitant to try it on anything else but after this encouragement I may give it a whirl.

Not a fan of thick sweet teriyaki sauces. I prefer a thin marinade style of teriyaki, then grill. You get that small but flavorful seared sauce along with the deep penetrated flavor. No glaze type sauce for us. Wife whips up her own if we do beef teri skewers or chicken teri. Not sure where she got her recipe. Most her Japanese recipes come from the Orange County Buddist Church cookbook "Generation to Generation". But some from her mother. We marinate but don't add sauce after grilling. Plenty of flavor without the thick sticky sauce.

One of our few exceptions to the thicker glaze type teri sauce, is Pit Burger in Gardena CA https://www.yelp.com/biz/pitburger-gardena?osq=pit+burger . It's a bit of a dive, run down old burger shack. But their sliced teri beef (or chicken) "Teri-burger" is killer. They're wet and sloppy, and you get it all over. When I'm in the area, I make a point to stop in. But they don't travel or keep well for re-heating. So, the wife isn't home, I don't get her one and I can't tell the wife I've been there. The only giveaway is the sauce on my collar. But, I keep one of those tiny WD-40 spray cans in the glove compartment and use it like cologne, so she thinks I've been working at a friend's machine shop and not cheating on her.

Last edited:

Back