Baby backs and St. Louis ribs - First time without Foiling

W. Holder III

TVWBB Member
I smoked 3 racks of baby backs and 3 racks of St. Louis cuts over the weekend. I decided to try doing my ribs for the first time without the "Texas Crutch". They definitely took a lot longer than my previous cooks where I would foil them with butter, honey, apple juice etc after about 2.5 hours into the cook. The baby backs took a full 5 hours at 250 and the St. Louis cuts took almost 6.5 to reach toothpick tender. 1 rack of the St. Louis and 1 rack of the baby backs were a lot less moist than I usually get, but the overall smokey flavor and the bark were way better than any ribs I have ever cooked foiling. After about 3 hours, when the bark was set, I began mopping them every 30 minutes. I am sure that contributed to the longer cooking time as well. Opening the smoker that often can really slow it down. After the cook I am still undecided as to which method is better. Next time I will probably cook both foiled and un-foiled and then compare them side by side.

Here is the rub I used.

• 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup granulated garlic
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 3 TBS kosher salt
  • 3 TBS black pepper
  • 3 TBS packed light brown sugar
  • 2 TBS onion powder
  • 2 TBS celery seed
  • 2 TBS dried oregano
  • 2 TBS dried thyme
  • 3 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp mustard powder
  • 2 tsp coriander
  • 2 tsp allspice
  • 2 tsp cayenne
  • 1 tsp celery salt
  • 1 tsp ancho chili powder

pcejf3i.jpg

HMfOM2g.jpg

Samson supervising

iqNlcz9.jpg

jluumeb.jpg

3XBsDki.jpg

The 2 darker racks I sauced about 45 minutes before I pulled them and the last 4 racks were served dry Memphis style with sauce on the side.
t4Pq4So.jpg

StFWPWP.jpg

Those look great! I always foil, but I am going to try unfoiled next time just to see if I might like them better.

Great job on those ribs. The last brisket and butt I cooked, I did not foil, and liked them way better. I think I'll try it on my next ribs too. I've always foiled them. Thanks for posting that rub.

Man thast is exactly what they are supposed to look like! Love the color and bite. Great job!

Regards,

John

Great looking ribs WH, try bumping up the temp to 275 i think you will like it better. Saves time and the finished product is the same or better.

Trying ribs without foiling is on my To-Do list too. About how long would you expect no-foil St. Louis spares to take at 275?

The ribs look awsome. The last rack of St. Louis style I did not wrap and thought they were the best I made for the season. I agree it does take longer. Once they were tooth pick tender I sauced them and put them on the gasser at a higher heat to set the sauce. I need to figure out how to post pics I worked on my competition chicken thighs and smoked a turkey breast this weekend.

Back