Baby Back Ribs

RogerPrice

Hello,
I'm trying to perfect my baby back ribs recipe and I just about have them where I want them.
Right now I'm working on timing so that I consistently turn out a rib that I would proud to enter in a competition.
I threw a slab on over the weekend and my cook went a little too long. They were on for 4.5 hours and I feel like if I had pulled them at the 4 hour mark they would have been pretty damn good, but at 4.5 hours they were just starting to get dry.

I think next time I will go with a 2 - 1.5 - .5 method at 250º and see if I can retain some more moisture.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Don't go by time. Stick the middle of each rack with a toothpick to see if tenderness is to your liking. They'll never take the exact same amount of time.

It was VERY windy here yesterday and I did some while doing another cook. For the first three hours the temperature never went above 228F. I became concerned and added some charcoal. I was using lump to start. Final time was almost five hours and the ribs were still very moist. I don't foil by the way.i have to agree, time is not the determining factor.

Back