Baby Back Ribs Membrane

Brad Rosenberg

TVWBB Member
I haven't made ribs in a while, and was struggling trying to get the membrane off the back of the ribs, before I relized that the membrane had already been removed (I think). The baby back ribs were from Costco (Swift). In the past, I've always had to remove the membrane myself. Anyone else had a similar experience?

In any event, the ribs are on the smoker now. And it is a perfect September day here in Northern Virginia, so we'll see how they turn out.

-Brad

Hi Brad -

Yes Costco started selling ribs with the membrane removed a while ago. The first slabs I got that way I spent at least 10 minutes hacking away trying to remove something that wasn't there before the light bulb went on!

Enjoy those ribs.

I did ribs for Costco(Swift) about a month ago and noticed the same thing, the membrane was already removed. It was the first time that I had bought ribs from there so I don't know if this is something new or if they were always like that.

I boy BB's from Costco and have never seen the member removed. I'm not sure but it seems strange that the butcher would take the time to do this. Which BB's are you buying the cryo with three in a package or the 2 pack that packaged at Costco?

I've purchased cryo packs of 3 from Sam's where part of the membrane was missing but never the whole thing. Swift, huh .. Are they enhanced?

Bill

I have never bought from Costco but have bought Swift cryo'd bb ribs. The membrane had been removed totally in some cases, partially in others. Go figure. Not enhanced, in all cases.

i cook mine membrane side down. the membrane just crisps up for the most part. cant tell it wasnt removed. i have tried removing em but its a lot of work for not much gain. being a lazy bbq'er i decided to just see what happens if i leave it on.

I also picked up some of the cryo ribs from Costco and frustrated myself trying to remove the membrane that wasn't there. Rob

Brad,

Great day for smoking in NoVa yesterday! I started a butt Friday night, and did some spares on the Performer yesterday afternoon. The wonderful smell of BBQ wafting in the air as I worked in the yard. Perfect day!

Agreed! And tonight should be just as nice. On the menu this evening -- spit-roasted Huli Huli chicken. No smoke, but still a live fire.

I read on another forum that some of the ribs Costco sells have membranes and some don't. You can tell buy the product number on the package but I can't remember which is which.

Any store selling quality bbribs will have the 'mem' removed... I've bought some spares already with the 'mems' removed...
almost like buying a house with a "BONUS" room.

Wow, this explains everything. I too have bought the Swift 3 pack of BB's at Costco and got very fustrated when trying to remove the membrane.
icon_mad.gif

My wife suggested maybe they had already been removed but I did not think it possible.

I have struggled with this same problem, I wish Costco would be consistent, because it makes me crazy every time! Did they? Didn't they?
icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michele p:
I have struggled with this same problem, I wish Costco would be consistent, because it makes me crazy every time! Did they? Didn't they?
icon_mad.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No need to get crazy. If it looks like a piece of wax paper, the outer membrane is still there. If it looks like a thin see through mesh, it is the inner membrane so leave it alone.

I just bought a pack of swifts BB last night. I usually buy this brand and have never had the membrane removed for me. I remove it myself and its not that hard. I use a butter knife and work it in under the membrane about 2-3 ribs from one end. Then I use my finger and just pull up and away, it comes off pretty easily.

Back