Baby Back Ribs Membrane

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Dace:
I just bought a pack of swifts BB last night. I usually buy this brand and have never had the membrane removed for me. I remove it myself and its not that hard. I use a butter knife and work it in under the membrane about 2-3 ribs from one end. Then I use my finger and just pull up and away, it comes off pretty easily. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are you saying that the membrane has not been removed on the pack of ribs you just bought? I can attest to the fact that the membrane was removed on the last couple of packs of Swift ribs that I bought at Costco.
Very interesting and not very consistent.

Dont know if they have these up north but I recommend catfish skinners for removing membrane..kind of look like pliers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MarkB:
Hi Brad -

Yes Costco started selling ribs with the membrane removed a while ago. The first slabs I got that way I spent at least 10 minutes hacking away trying to remove something that wasn't there before the light bulb went on!

Enjoy those ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny
I could see myself doing the same thing

I use a paper towel. Grab a corner, put the paper towel between you fingers, grab it and roll it back. Simple---5 seconds max.

Bill

Picked up a 3 pack of BBs at Costco over the weekend. Swift brand, all three racks had the membrane removed this time. Hopefully this will be the way Costco sells them from now on.

They cook up nice too
icon_wink.gif

Brad L.

Just got my Costco Connection magazine, and they state that they are now removing the membrane or "silver skin" from their BB's.

Pick the edge of the membrane up with a fork. Then grab it with a paper towel and you'll have all the grip you need to pull it off easily.

-Sorry, looks like someone just said this.

there's a smokehouse in my area of Toronto (highway 61) and I saw the cook remove the membrane afterwards using a knife.

I also saw in the Costco Connection magazine that they are removing the membrane from their baby back ribs.

I am smoking some spares that I purchased at Costco over the weekend. The membrane was *not* removed from the spares.

It is interesting that Costco's suppliers are removing the membrane from the baby backs, but not the spares.

The other thing that I noticed, was that Costco is also removing the bone from all their butts. At least I haven't been able to get one that wasn't boneless. I like the bone in so that I don't have to tie it up.

Just cooked Costco baby backs this weekend... no membrane on the ribs, they were removed before purchase. This was a 3-pack.

First time I encountered membrane less ribs it was also from Costco, maybe 2-3 years back. Not knowing anyone bothered to remove it, I peeled and peeled until the top rib fell out. I realized there was no membrane. Now I can spot it easily.

Back