Attention: Kingsford users

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
I've tried a couple of overnight smokes with Kingsford now and I got a problem. I thought the Kingsford was supposed to be trouble-free, but I'm finding that ash is building up and suffocating the coals after several hours. Both times, a pretty standard "Minion burn"...one time an even lit layer on top, the other a lit pile in the middle layed in a little depression in the unlit.

What's the problem? Is it the humidity of these muggy southern nights? Whatever it is, no such problem with lump or hardwood briquettes.... No waking up to a 150 degree cooker...kicking the cooker or stirring the coals. Ugh, please don't shoot me: Also, I'm starting to think that Kingsford doesn't last so much longer than good dense hardwood lump or briquettes, either. (Gasps and shreiks) Please forgive the heresy. I'm not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Scouts honor! What's the deal?

I guess I'll go ahead give my reason why trying the K after using lump: I'm not that much into putting puzzles together, and that's sort of what it's like to pack all that lump in the ring tight. I don't call it fun, and I think that too many small pieces can limit your temps as well. Yep, I value the consistancy of briquettes and don't really care much for charcoal dust in my eyes and nose from all that shaking.

I've only used the natural briquettes (Stubbs) once overnight in my wsm. I made the apparent mistake of lighting with a torch in three seperate spots, then finding that the upwind side with the closed vent wasn't burning at all. I suspect that the mistake was the lighting method, and I don't see any problem with the Stubbs. They're just more expensive, but one heaping ring (one bag) would've lasted the entire pork butt cook. (This was my last cook with the OE oversized water pan. With the Brinkman pan I'll be able to pile the charcoal 2.5" higher.)

Regret you're not getting much response...

I'm not one of the experts here but I've been BBQ'ing for about five years(?.)

I have to say that despite all the hype that surrounds Kingsford I think that the ash build-up is simply something you have to put up with when using briquettes comprised of a large proportion of binders, fillers and non-combustables.

I understand that Trader Joe briquettes are made by the same folks who make Rancher. I've been using them mixed with some Royal Oak Lump for about three years now.

You still get ash but I personally think it's a cleaner burn and a cleaner taste all around than Kingsford...by a long shot. I know that flies in the face of the "scientific" evidence but hey, taste is taste.

Sure it will cost you more than Kingsford but if price is that much of an issue you would probably be cooking in an oven.

As for charcoal dust and the like...there is lump and there is lump. And the same can be said of briquettes. Some have more dust (no binders) some have less.

When using Rancher I have never failed to have almost a half a ring of charcoal left...usable charcoal...after the fire is completely out. Maybe in the long run it's actually cheaper...?

Bottom line is to consider your objective first and foremost and keep it firmly in mind--if saving money is your objective, you're in the wrong line of business. If taste and good food is your prime goal, the charcoal is a tool like any other. Buy the best you can afford that will do what you want it to do.

Using a quality tool is always a pleasure, however, esp. when compared to using a tool that is just so-so.

End of essay...

May be a stupid question, but are you starting with a clean charcoal bowl? I've used K from time to time, and I don't see how it is possible for the ash to smother your fire after "several hours". While many say that K leaves more ash than other charcoal, I am at a loss to explain how the ash can be affecting you in such a way. How many hours is several hours?

Originally posted by Dave/G:
May be a stupid question, but are you starting with a clean charcoal bowl? I've used K from time to time, and I don't see how it is possible for the ash to smother your fire after "several hours". While many say that K leaves more ash than other charcoal, I am at a loss to explain how the ash can be affecting you in such a way. How many hours is several hours?

I always dump ash and scrape out all the crud soon after a cook. By several hours, I mean after 8 or 9. It's not a issue with shorter cooks. I always check my vents to make sure they're not gonna be plugged with ash or anything, too.

the longest smoke here was 14-15 hrs with no problems using Kingsford.
I haven't ever had a problem using Kingsford.

Not sure what to tell you Dave. Mine is a 2009 as well and I haven't had your problem. I use a foiled clay saucer and a windbreak. I've gone 15 hours without having to touch the coals.

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
the longest smoke here was 14-15 hrs with no problems using Kingsford.
I haven't ever had a problem using Kingsford.

Jim, I'm sure you're not alone, thus the popularity. I kind of suspect it's humidity and damp, still night air that's worse here in the south. Thanks for the input.

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Not sure what to tell you Dave. Mine is a 2009 as well and I haven't had your problem. I use a foiled clay saucer and a windbreak. I've gone 15 hours without having to touch the coals.
I wonder if the added humidity from the water pan is a contributing factor. I typically use water for long cooks.

Can't say I've ever had a "bad" bag Kingsford.

Every once in awhile, one bag can seem to not burn as well as the next.

But not like this.

Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but I'm finding that ash is building up and suffocating the coals after several hours.
This works well for me: try the Minion method with an empty coffee can. The briquettes burn from the inside out, rather than from the top down, potentially smothering the fire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's my next try. Thanks, Gary

Personally, I'd ditch the water. As long as you use a small number of lit to start (12-15) and catch temps on the way up, you should be able to control temps without water. And cleanup will be easier too.

Dave,
My longest cook on the 18.5 WSM thus far is 11 hours using regular Kingsford and I've not experienced any real problems. Of course I live at 6000 feet above sea level with normally very low humidity conditions.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Personally, I'd ditch the water. As long as you use a small number of lit to start (12-15) and catch temps on the way up, you should be able to control temps without water. And cleanup will be easier too.

Sure it's easier to control the temps, but I don't want to "control the temps." I want to go to bed.

The water pan gives me some "forgiveness" and I've been amazed at how long I could leave the wsm alone, even when using lump. In my upright drum smoker, I don't use a water pan, and find it needs vent adjustments occasionally, unless conditions are perfect. It's amazing how you can control temps with the drum since there's one single opening. Open it...temp rises. Close it....temp falls. It's much more responsive than my wsm, water pan or not, and it's pretty tight...just not tight as a drum.
icon_biggrin.gif

The only 300 degree water pan is an empty one....so water's a great heat sink if you're trying to keep temps between 200 and 250....and want to get some sleep. I'm just sayin'
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Paul Mosher:
Dave,
My longest cook on the 18.5 WSM thus far is 11 hours using regular Kingsford and I've not experienced any real problems. Of course I live at 6000 feet above sea level with normally very low humidity conditions.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yeah, that's a completely different environment. My son just got back from being in Wyoming for two weeks. He's not a very happy camper since he came back to the hottest June the midsouth has had in several decades.

Regarding burn times, I've had much longer burn times than yours with both B and B lump and Stubbs hardwood briquettes...but who knows what they'd do up there.

Dave - my last overnight was on over memorial Day weekend and I remember it being plenty muggy here in the Chattanooga area. I used the newest Kingsford "Starts even faster" charcoal (regular blue and white bag). Seems like I put the butts on around 10:30 PM. I checked the temp at midnight before going to bed and it was around 250. At around 8 AM when I next checked, it was still at 250. Mid-morning the temp started going down so I gently knocked the ash of of the charcoal. I then was able to easily keep it as 250 until 3Pm or so when I took off the butts. A big factor in the steady temps and slow fuel burn was that there was absolutely no wind.

I use the pointed grilling implement that came in my Weber grill tool set to knock the ash down. It has become a must-have tool for my overnight smokes.

By the way, I use water in my bowl.

Back