Attention: Kingsford users

Originally posted by john fravel:
I take a large coffee can (bottom removed) put in center of coal grate. Load rest of bag and wood chunks around it. Put chimney full of coals in can and then remove can with tongs, and if I use kingsford competition bricks (13.9) lbs. It is set it and forget it 225 degrees for 12 hours+. I also inject my butts and rub them and I never touch them again til they get to 195. I love the bark.

Thanks for the testimonial, John. I'm definately gonna try the coffee can, probably the next time I bbq.

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by k straker:
Never had this problem in SC. I would use more charcoal. I have cooked overnight on many occasions with no issues.

The only way I can use more charcoal is to ditch the OE (Smokey Joe bowl) water pan, and that's what I've decided to do. I've had a Brinkman pan for a while that I use as a heat deflector in my upright drum smoker, and that's what I'll be using from now on so I can heap the pile some.

That said, ninety something percent humidity, the possibility of charcoal that somehow got damp, all the potential ash.....who knows, but more charcoal wouldn't have helped with fire suffocation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I was thinking more charcoal=more heat. I forgot that it would also produce more ash.

I had an ash problem with my ECB. There wasn't much room for ash and I couldn't use K. I used Stubbs with good results.

With the WSM, I still prefer Stubbs, but there is plenty of room for a full ring of K and the ash it generates.

Originally posted by Lew:
I had an ash problem with my ECB. There wasn't much room for ash and I couldn't use K. I used Stubbs with good results.

With the WSM, I still prefer Stubbs, but there is plenty of room for a full ring of K and the ash it generates.

Yeah, plenty of room, but it problem is when it doesn't fall through the grate. It just accumalates in the pile of coals, starving them of oxygen, or at least this has been my issue.

It seems to me that I either need to tap the legs of the cooker ever so often to make the stuff fall through, open the vents some more some time in the night, or wake up to low temps and have to stir the coals.

Stubbs is super, though, so I'll probably just stick with it. I has only a fraction of the ash that Kingsford does and lasts plenty long.

Well, I don't know what prompted me to do it, but I just checked out Chris A.'s smoking logs for his long cooks as journaled in his cooking section here on his site.

In the first two long pork butt cooks he journals, "the Renowned Mr. Brown" and "Mustard Slathered.." as well as the "Midnight Brisket", Chris notes STIRRING THE COALS, TWICE, each of the cooks. He has temp dips, and his temps even fell to 180 on the "Mustard Slathered" cook, 12 hours into it.

So.....going by his rather meticulous record keeping, my own experiences, and as well as at least one or two posters here
icon_confused.gif
.....when using Kingsford, I guess ash is something you might just have to deal with, at least on long "low and slow" cooks.

My theory is that some of you folks that don't seem to have any problems with Kingsford ash are cooking a little hotter than 225-250, and the fire gets a better supply of air flow. For instance, if you are measuring 250 at the lid opposite of the vent, you're probably cooking at least 25 degrees hotter than Chris did on the average, as he tryed to keep it in the 225-250 zone, measured at the vent.

Thanks for all the input!
Dave

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:

Yeah, plenty of room, but it problem is when it doesn't fall through the grate. It just accumalates in the pile of coals, starving them of oxygen, or at least this has been my issue.

It seems to me that I either need to tap the legs of the cooker ever so often to make the stuff fall through, open the vents some more some time in the night, or wake up to low temps and have to stir the coals.

Stubbs is super, though, so I'll probably just stick with it. I has only a fraction of the ash that Kingsford does and lasts plenty long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I do have to open the vents a little more with K and can't use 2 grates (at 90 degree angles to keep lump from falling through). I couldn't pass up the sales and bought 160 lbs at HD on Memorial Day. It works OK but when it's gone, it's back to Stubbs and RO.

Back