At which temperature are ribs done? (if you could measure it)

Albert E

Hi,

I was wondering at which temperature ribs are done?

I am thinking about cooking swedish cut thick ribs on the wsm. They are basically a thick St Louis cut with an extra 1-2 inches of meat. Although always cut from the most forward ribs. Traditionally cooked hot and fast, so they get dry and chewey. Never liked them that way... I am going to cook them low'n'slow with nice rub and sauce. But when should I pull them of the smoker? Don't suppose a bend test will work, so which temp will be best?
:wsm:

Sounds like some nice eatin.:) I've never temped or would take a guess on what temp ribs are truly tender at.
Bend test gets you in the ball park, probing wit a skewer or toothpick will truly tell you when tender.
Edit: Should add have you tried the 321 method?
http://virtualweberbullet.com/rib5.html
That might be the ticket on those thick cut ribs:wsm:

Tim

Last edited:
I've used a thermopen on mine as I pulled them off, tested with a bend test, probe test, and got plenty of pull back from the bone. I really can't remember the temp but I think it was 190*F. To me the probe test is most important.

They'll be done somewhere about 185-190*F. I would try the 3-2-1 method or some variant where I applied smoke for a few hours until maybe 160*F, then foiled until about 180*F, then unfoil and finish to 190-195*F. Let us know how they turn out.

Before:

Straight out of the package. About 2 1/2 lbs.

After:

Cut them in half to get more surface for sauce and rub, and shorter smoking time.
Pulled them off at 186 after about 7 hours at 225, did not bother with the texas crutch, since I am hoping to cook 10 lbs of them (and 9 lbs of roast beef) for my overdue birthday party. I used 4 oz of hickory and 4 oz of apple. Think I will switch to apple and cherry.

Although not as good as baby back's, I prefer them to the pulled pork I did. I will add some chili flakes to the rub next time, and use more of it!
:wsm:

Thank's for for the help!

I have never used a thermometer on my ribs, but I have been watching a few episodes of BBQ Pitmasters and some the pitmasters checked and was pulling them at 195. Hope that helps

Back