Asked Weber a Question About Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Schnell

TVWBB Member
I asked a question about color selection on charcoal grills on the Weber Facebook page. Here's the answer I got back from a representative:

Me: I love my Weber grills. I have two charcoal and one gas. Why don't we get all the cool charcoal grill colors in the US that they have in the rest of the world?

Weber Grills Hi Mark:
As a global manufacturer, our goal is to make the best possible product for the markets we serve. As a result, our grills and color options are customized to match regional preferences and trends.

Me: Thanks for answering. I know the goal of every business is to make a profit. I also know you are a major corporation that does all the market research. I'm just surprised that your findings are that Americans don't want the color choices the rest of the world gets. Of course, this doesn't change how much I love Weber grills, just would be cool though.

I don't want to sound negative, or start a bashing session, but that's a stock "corporate mission statement" answer If I ever heard one! Basically they think that Americans could care less about color options. Either that or there just using the Weber version of Henry Ford's philosophy here, stateside. "You can have any color you want as long as its black". Having said that, i still love the company, don't love all the decisions and strategies.

Here's a bright idea, why don't they just sell factory direct for the oddball colors? Then the buyer can special order whatever they want, and Weber can still ship the standard fare out to the retailers...

Great idea, they used to charge a premium in the old days for the color and who can say no to extra cash, besides that little girl on the insurance commercial..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sonny Roach:
Great idea, they used to charge a premium in the old days for the color and who can say no to extra cash, besides that little girl on the insurance commercial.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where's Cheech?
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sonny Roach:
Great idea, they used to charge a premium in the old days for the color and who can say no to extra cash, besides that little girl on the insurance commercial.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weber has always (dating back tho the '50s and '60s) charged at least $10 more for colors then for the black kettles. Its still the case with buying blue, green, or red brick grills. I see no reason why Weber couldnt offer custom colors to be ordered direct and built at time of order for a premium price. On the flip side to my old Weber reps point... average consumer just wants a grill, their not necessarily interested in colors. Maybe so, but it seems more people opted for reds, browns, greens, back in the day than they did black, but that's just my observation. I could be wrong.

While I truly agree with all the points above ... what fun would it be if all the whales were white?

Agree. Having those extra colors available via special order direct from Weber would be a great idea.

Seems like it would be a win-win for everyone.

I know one of our local Ace hardware stores now only carries black because they couldnt sell the color ones.

I do think that the factory direct approach would work. They make all the special color models for overseas sales right here in the US.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
I know one of our local Ace hardware stores now only carries black because they couldnt sell the color ones.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This blows my mind Tim!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This blows my mind Tim! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's simple really.

While I feel that colorful kettles are far more appealing than black kettles, and you and pretty much everyone here feel the same way - our audience is still statistically insignificant when compared to the actual people buying brand new weber kettles.

Enthusiasts want color. Enthusiast Join this site.

Casual grillers want black (or want the norm).
Casual grillers aren't in our society. (there may be a few cross-overs)

Basically, we're surrounded by people who want colorful kettles. And we illogically accept that our relatively small community is an accurate representation of the real world.

Well said, Troy. I think the reality is that Kettle/charcoal bbq's are a budget item in the US and providing colors won't make them as competitive.

It does blow my mind though that you can't get the overseas versions direct no matter how much you pay.

Come on, Troy! Not everyone has Weber fever/addiction/disease? As much as it sucks to say it, I think you are right on. Most people don't put the time into cooking and grilling like the group here. Most of my friends have no idea what the difference is between a Weber and a budget grill. My father has used charcoal for years on grills that rust and look terrible in a year or less and sees no point to buying a Weber.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lawrence M.:
It does blow my mind though that you can't get the overseas versions direct no matter how much you pay. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too, to an extent.

I understand there are a lot of hurdles, like UPC and product registrations, warehousing, shipping, additional customer service and sales channels. It's possible that the financial benefit they'd receive wouldn't provide an adequate return of the investment taken to make it happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:

Casual grillers want black (or want the norm). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what you are saying, and the reasoning you are trying to apply. I disagree somewhat.

I just asked an aquaintence who owns 0 weber products the following question: If You were going to buy a webber kettle grill, would you want black or red.

His answer was "red". Statistically meaningful? No way. Anecdotal feedback that disputes colorful products are not desired by casual shoppers? Yes.

I get the point your point that we have a myopic view of all things weber. I agree. But your logic does not explain why the European market has more color choices. Is it a continent of Weber enthusiasts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd H:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This blows my mind Tim! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My buddy, Mark, who is now on this site, got a new Grill for Father's Day. He wanted a blue one. His family went to the local Ace and no color grills to be found. They asked and were told they no longer carry them as they couldnt sell them and had to discount them to the point they lost money just to get rid of them.

Strange but true. However, I know of 2 other Aces in the extended area that has an awesome selection. Mark ended up going to the Reedsburg, WI Ace. 2 aisles of Weber grills, accessories and PARTS. He got his blue Weber there. I did notice it is 2 years old (AD date stamp). Still new in the box though.

My buddy, Mark, who is now on this site, got a new Grill for Father's Day. He wanted a blue one. His family went to the local Ace and no color grills to be found. They asked and were told they no longer carry them as they couldnt sell them and had to discount them to the point they lost money just to get rid of them.

Strange but true. However, I know of 2 other Aces in the extended area that has an awesome selection. Mark ended up going to the Reedsburg, WI Ace. 2 aisles of Weber grills, accessories and PARTS. He got his blue Weber there. I did notice it is 2 years old (AD date stamp). Still new in the box though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this Mark and his family's first Kettle?

icon_smile.gif

Strange but true. However, I know of 2 other Aces in the extended area that has an awesome selection. Mark ended up going to the Reedsburg, WI Ace. 2 aisles of Weber grills, accessories and PARTS. He got his blue Weber there. I did notice it is 2 years old (AD date stamp). Still new in the box though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this Mark and his family's first Kettle?

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes and no. I have known mark for about 20 years now and he has always used charcoal. Usually in some cheapo WalMart grill. Last month he needed to replace yet another one. I convinced him to go Weber. He picked up a black OTG. There are times when we all get together and need more space than it can provide so he decided to get another. I did not know about this one until I went over last weekend. I am waiting to see when the Ranch Kettle shows up. He could use it some weekends.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:

Casual grillers want black (or want the norm). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand what you are saying, and the reasoning you are trying to apply. I disagree somewhat.

I just asked an aquaintence who owns 0 weber products the following question: If You were going to buy a webber kettle grill, would you want black or red.

His answer was "red". Statistically meaningful? No way. Anecdotal feedback that disputes colorful products are not desired by casual shoppers? Yes.

I get the point your point that we have a myopic view of all things weber. I agree. But your logic does not explain why the European market has more color choices. Is it a continent of Weber enthusiasts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anecdotal feedback is great, but business plans wrapped around that feedback do not scale.

Regarding europeans, no, they're probably not all enthusiasts. However europeans, in general, are significantly different than, once again in general, americans.

Europeans are classier, healthier, and more cultured. They tend to appreciate things like architecture, design, fashion and style.

Colorful kettles likely outsell black kettles there because more people CARE about the colors and it makes sense to produce and sell them.

I realize this is a strange mix of logic and opinion
icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back