Asked Weber a Question About Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBQ as we know it is also a luxury good in the UK so the color differentiation makes more sense. I can't imagine pastely kettles selling in volume here in the US.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
Anecdotal feedback is great, but business plans wrapped around that feedback do not scale.

Regarding europeans, no, they're probably not all enthusiasts. However europeans, in general, are significantly different than, once again in general, americans.

Europeans are classier, healthier, and more cultured. They tend to appreciate things like architecture, design, fashion and style.

Colorful kettles likely outsell black kettles there because more people CARE about the colors and it makes sense to produce and sell them.

I realize this is a strange mix of logic and opinion
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Troy, I agree with you more than my "arguing" might appear. I won't touch the "europeans are classier" argument, but most basically, if there were sufficient profit in colorful kettles, I agree they'd likley choose sell them here.

On the other hand, no company is infallible, and if I were in charge of product placement, I would certainly try a program that allowed color ordering in the US in front of releasing a product like the wood chip soaker to any market.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lawrence M.:
I can't imagine pastely kettles selling in volume here in the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can, and that is where we differ.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
Anecdotal feedback is great, but business plans wrapped around that feedback do not scale.

Regarding europeans, no, they're probably not all enthusiasts. However europeans, in general, are significantly different than, once again in general, americans.

Europeans are classier, healthier, and more cultured. They tend to appreciate things like architecture, design, fashion and style.

Colorful kettles likely outsell black kettles there because more people CARE about the colors and it makes sense to produce and sell them.

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Troy, I agree with you more than my "arguing" might appear. I won't touch the "europeans are classier" argument, but most basically, if there were sufficient profit in colorful kettles, I agree they'd likley choose sell them here.

On the other hand, no company is infallible, and if I were in charge of product placement, I would certainly try a program that allowed color ordering in the US in front of releasing a product like the wood chip soaker to any market. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I'm sorry if I came off as argumentative.
I thought it was more of a discussion. I guess I took note of a few people FINALLY listening to me for once and felt the need to keep going
icon_smile.gif

If i were in charge of colors at weber, i'd certainly do something to get some colorful kettles in the states as well
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lawrence M.:
I can't imagine pastely kettles selling in volume here in the US. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish Weber would release a limited run in the US to prove one of us wrong!
icon_smile.gif

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but we're better looking... and have...bigger guts...and never mind.
icon_wink.gif

I would guess that Weber (and the American BBQ industry in general) sees the majority of consumers in the U.S. to be guys and most guys are basic and like the color black. (Not that there arn't female grillers out there and there is ABSOLUTLEY NOTHING WRONG with a lady who loves to grill) I know a few myself. That being said, the stereotype is that the American male may see pastel colors (or to a much lesser degree, red) as not being manly enough for them. Obviously I don't hold this opinion as you can check out my "family portrait" of red grills in another thread. Of course, that's just my observation, I could be wrong!

Oh, I'm sorry if I came off as argumentative.
I thought it was more of a discussion. I guess I took note of a few people FINALLY listening to me for once and felt the need to keep going
icon_smile.gif

If i were in charge of colors at weber, i'd certainly do something to get some colorful kettles in the states as well
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Haha, not at all, just wanted to make sure you knew I appreciated your POV.

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish Weber would release a limited run in the US to prove one of us wrong!
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We agree there!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Schnell:

icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but we're better looking... and have...bigger guts...and never mind.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahaha, yeah, that we do. (and that's NOT a blind generalization
icon_frown.gif
)

Red is the exception to the rule. I'm sure Weber would sell quite a few if only they could still make the color. But it's environmentally impossible using porcelain enamel. It's got cadmium in it, deadly dangerous stuff, and too cost prohibitive to manufacture anymore. At least that's my understanding.

So then you have other colors. Remember that Weber sold copper-colored kettles a couple of years ago at Target. I remember they had to blow them out at discount prices, which tells me they didn't go over very well. The fact that Ace Hardware stores have a hard time selling blue or green supports the case that most people don't seem to care about color.

Having said all that, I wish you could order the Euro colors from the Weber parts store at corporate. Why not?

Regards,
Chris

Personally, I think its a marketing problem. Weber grills have a higher up fromt cost. Most people don't think, "Oh, I am buying a grill that will last me 30 years." Ace Hardware and other specialty stores are overpriced. (IMO)
If they priced colored grills at a lower cost,
they will fly off the shelves. I still think the big box stores do a terrible job at marketing Weber products of any kind. Just my 2 sense.
AJ

My understanding is that Ace also has a difficult time selling the brick red grills. Maybe we could ask Weber corperate if they would consider selling us a few euro colored kettles as a one time thing. They would make thousand$ off of the members at this site alone.

I like the C.O.T.B, colors other than black too and am still on the hunt for more COTB but, from my experience, the black ones hold up much better than the COTB. I have 3 reds from the late 90's and one from the 70's before the date stamp. All 3 of the 90's have flaked from heat damage. No dents, no dings, just began with a crackle look and started flaking. The one from 1970s isn't so bad...the porcelain finish looks to be thicker and is holding up much better than the ones from the 90s. I also have a green 2006, bought new. The bottom bowl started to show the same crackle within 2 years. Weber sent replacements for both lid and bowl of course (they are a great company). I have 6 black kettles. They have dents and dings that may have chipped the finish but none have crackle and flake from heat. That said, I think if I were in the market to buy a new kettle from the store, I would get black because I think it will last longer. But, I still look for deals on used COTBs all the time because I'm crazy and just want to collect

I had to buy my green Performer online as the only color available locally was black. I can understand local retailers not wanting to stock a variety of colors, but why can't the large online retailers like Amazon have access to the same colors available overseas? I don't understand why Weber doesn't make the same colors available on both sides of the ocean. kinda makes you wonder if maybe European Webers might be produced in another facility overseas?

I believe that the truth behind the Color Controversy is:

In the U.S., the grill market is VERY COMPETITIVE. If they offerred more colors - the average American would not be willing to pay more for it (even if most of us on this site WOULD).

I'm sure that making (nearly) ALL of the US-Market units in a single color allows them to achieve the economy of scale (bang 'em out in HUGE volume) in order to be able to sell them, even at a slight premium price vs many of their competitors, while still making a few bucks.

We may all think that, essentially, Porcelain is Porcelain - but from a manufacturing / production standpoint; that is not necessarily true:

-As Chris stated, some colors contain potentially hazardous pigments and need different handling / firing / curing procedures.

-There is cost involved in maintaining inventory of different glazes / space for different colored bowls & lids.

The main difference with the European market is that American-Made chacoal-grills are somewhat of a novelty that Europeans are willing to pay a premium for (did you ever see what they CHARGE for a garden-variety Weber in most E.U. countries? If not, prepare to have your mind blown.) Since they can charge a premium and there is not as much price-pressure - they get more choices.

THAT, Virginia is the reason that for reasons of Corporate "Political Correctness" they will not, or are not allowed to state in writing.

I'm not trying to be overly-critical of Weber. It's the reality of the marketplace. On the other hand:
-They still make a solid product
-They stand behind it with Top-Notch Customer Support.
-Their stuff works like it should and lasts
-They employ more than a few Americans.
In short, "Hats-Off Salute" to them...

The factory-direct option would probably not fly as well -- they probably do not want to compete with their own authorized dealers (bad for biz). Plus their business model / pricing structure probably also saves cost by only selling to wholesalers. This way, in the US, they sell big batches / truckloads to distributors who divvy the shipments up & get them to a store near you. This process "streamlines" the amount of work, effort (man hours & money) that Weber needs to spend in order to deliver their products in our marketplace.

So, where do I go to pick-up my "Honorary B.S." in Economics?

I just want to point out that there are several other bbq makers making red cookers. Bright red I might add, not brick brown. In fact I think Weber might be the only company not selling red these days. If they can do it, why can't Weber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back