Article About Kingsford Prices: "Greedflation gone wrong"

in my opinion, Kingsford's "shine" is long gone and has been for quite some time.

however, i do use their "professional" brand on occasion.

Our local Walmart has 2, 16# bags of Kingsford for $17.92. Not a bad price, but they also have 2, 20# bags of Cowboy for the same price. Picked up a Cowboy twin pack and will be trying it out as soon as I exhaust my supply of Royal Oak 100% natural briquets (brown bag), which I can't find anymore. Used Kingsford back as far as the early 70s when it was about the only quality brand out there. Now there's a lot of quality brands with competitive pricing. Thinking their market share is going to tank if they think they can charge for the name in today's market.

I essentially refuse to buy Kingsford. No reason to, doesn’t do anything better than most of the other brands and they want gold for it.

Two brands in BBQ I refuse to buy; Kingsford and Traeger.

I essentially refuse to buy Kingsford. No reason to, doesn’t do anything better than most of the other brands and they want gold for it.

Two brands in BBQ I refuse to buy; Kingsford and Traeger.
I agree 100%. I do have an older Traeger grill, without any bells and whistles, that I love but wouldn't consider buying a later model or any of their pellets, rubs or sauces. There are many superior products out there that are realistically priced.

Welcome to the 202x's...

The local grocery conglomerate here is advertising like crazy that they are not price gouging consumers...but have now made yet another quarter of record profits. Meanwhile, the farmers are showing an only slight rise in their sell costs into the chain. We are being robbed by greedy business interests with their only concerns being stock price.

And I guess it makes total sense...when you have a business model where the CEO is paid and makes bonuses purely on profit, you know they are going to do any/everything to increase stock price to line their own pockets. Personally it's highly conflicting for me even as I see what is happening as I have to both purchase these products, and I also (like many others) have investments too.

I think consumers need to revolt and target specific products, such as what happened with the Clorox charcoal post from the OP. If consumers could get together and stop purchasing product A, they will be forced to lower their prices. This in turn, will force their competitors to lower their prices to stay even. Unfortunately, when all the competitors get bought up and all fall under one corporate umbrella, we lose this option as a consumer - i.e. it's a legal form of price fixing IMO.

I guess we will agree to disagree about MSN as a news source but an eight pound bag of Kingsford has always been about $8 at any local grocery store here, Publix, Kroger or Food Lion. I always get better deals this time of the year at Lowes and stock up.

I like how they sell different sized bags everywhere. 2 packs of 12lb, 16 lb, 20lb. Have to check the price per pound everywhere or it gets confusing.

One of the reasons they offer so many different weights is so the stores can avoid price matching. If Lowes sells 16 lb bags and Home Depot offers 18 lb bags, neither one has to match their competitors price. TP and paper towels come in a wide array of different sheet size and count .

Back