Are there Summit models with updated stainless panels?

Lance-DjL

TVWBB Member
Hi, I read on this forum that apparently some Summit models have "updated panels" made of stainless. Does that corrects the issue with the rusted out area where the burners come through the fire box? Does anyone know if this is correct and if so, what models would have this updated panel? I ask because I have a 2nd gen Summit Platinum C4 and wonder if my fire box is safe.
Thanks.

Hi Lance, I think what you are referring to are the stainless steel panels that member Jon Tofte had made made to fix the firebox in his 1st generation Summit grill because Weber no longer offers replacement fireboxes for that grill. I know he is offering to sell those panels to other members to help fix their own issues. I do not know if those panels will work on a 2nd generation Summit or not.

Example of patch here:

Discussion of 2nd gen patch here:

Thank you so much Steve and Chris. I have seen the SS panels and I'm very excited to see the outcome from those who have installed this modification. What a great contribution for us who still love our Summit grills.

What I was referring to was a discussion about "Summit tables vs Platinum tables". After a mention about the fire box (with photos), a member added "That Summit has the updated panel made of stainless like the one my brother has. So honestly it's a good one in that regard".

He must have been talking about some other panel. Wishful thinking on my part I guess.

Some have posted seeming to suggest that their 2nd generation Summit (Silver/Gold/Platinum models) has a stainless reinforcement of some type vs. just the porcelain plated steel on the front of the firebox. I am not sure we have conclusively proven this to be true. I know the two 3rd generation Summits I bought with the idea of working on (and later junked) did NOT have any reinforcement. The one had very clear signs of burn-through, and I think the other did as well.

Jon, IDK why but I have seen 2nd gen Summits both ways and it does not seem to be dependent on the "model". Ex, my brother has a plain jane Summit 4 burner 2nd gen. It has a SS panel where burners go through. Yet he's got friends who have asked me to rebuild their grills some with upper end type 2nd gens. (rotisserie, smoker burner, etc) and no panel so I simply turned them down. No way I am going down that rabbit hole

Thanks for that information Jon. Here's a photo of what I have on my Summit Platinum C4. There is a porcelain panel in the front of the fire box that has rusted out somewhat. There is an extra panel where the SS tubes go through. I don't know if that panel is SS. There are no signs of rust on this panel, just baked on grease.

I was under the impression that this panel was on all fireboxes.

PXL_20220801_221408257.jpg

PXL_20220801_225948816.jpg

PXL_20220801_230313332.jpg

I cleaned off a bit of the crud.

Last edited:
My guess is that the panel with the burners is Stainless as it looks in great condition while the upper panel is ceramic coated steel and has the cancer.

This is what I did on my 05 Summit Platinum D6.

Attachments

• A07DF818-82E4-4339-AD7D-9C663282AE4F.jpeg
    A07DF818-82E4-4339-AD7D-9C663282AE4F.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 45278FC8-FAB4-4275-AF89-0FDF7736E818.jpeg
    45278FC8-FAB4-4275-AF89-0FDF7736E818.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 22
  • CD221E73-B10E-453C-8B86-DA05C3185A4C.jpeg
    CD221E73-B10E-453C-8B86-DA05C3185A4C.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 22
This is what I did on my 05 Summit Platinum D6.
Bill,
So, I see where you reinforced the back part of the firebox. The front picture shows that there is what appears to be stainless around the burner tubes. Is that original? But then above that are apparent burn-through holes. Do you have a stainless plated in front of that as well? Sorry if it should be clearer, but I am very interested and trying to better understand.

On the 1st generation Summit the firebox is simpler, so my shields will just attach to the walls.

I made panels to exact fit over the original panels and bolted them to the inside of the front and rear panels.

The front picture shows that there is what appears to be stainless around the burner tubes. Is that original?
Bill, I think Jon is referring to this piece highlighted by the red arrows. Is that piece original to the grill? It appears original to me, it has a small amount of surface rust.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hi guys, I brought up this subject because as you can see from my photos I have a rust problem with my Summit cook box.

I keep reading up on this issue and it has been said several times that this situation is unsafe. Can someone please tell me why it's concentered unsafe?

Thanks

I imagine that at some point the holes will get big enough so that the grill no longer holds in the heat or will be able to contain a grease fire. Until then I wouldn't necessarily condemn your grill.

Hi guys, I brought up this subject because as you can see from my photos I have a rust problem with my Summit cook box.

I keep reading up on this issue and it has been said several times that this situation is unsafe. Can someone please tell me why it's concentered unsafe?

Thanks
I guess the safety factor depends upon how much risk is worth taking. This was the line I wouldn’t cross.

Attachments

• 36C4B9E4-CADB-4809-9F74-76C879977F8F.jpeg
    36C4B9E4-CADB-4809-9F74-76C879977F8F.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 30E7F6E3-376D-4761-861E-840BC1FA05DD.jpeg
    30E7F6E3-376D-4761-861E-840BC1FA05DD.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 0F9FC60E-9C5D-4F60-832D-47947D53B224.jpeg
    0F9FC60E-9C5D-4F60-832D-47947D53B224.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 11
  • CB1F7B01-C1C1-41E4-B496-3DE7DE4D301C.jpeg
    CB1F7B01-C1C1-41E4-B496-3DE7DE4D301C.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 11
Thanks to all for you insights. I feel more comfortable holding out a little longer before I replace my cook box.

Weber sent me a new cook box a few years ago when the rust started. It's in storage. I'm thinking I will use the one I have now until it's no longer safe to use.

By the way, this is a great forum!

Lance, I hear ya. I bought a roll up tonneau cover for my truck when I first bought it in 2013. Three years later, there was a tiny hole in it where it binds when rolling it up. I contacted the company about ways to fix it and they asked for photos of the problem. They sent me a new cover. That was in 2016. I just put that new cover on a month ago, six years later. They old one was still serviceable, but had several of those holes by then. Now, I hope to get another 8 or 9 years out of the new one.

Just a thought - if the aluminum pan will hold up in the front of the fire box for a few months, I’d put one in place even if my box was still in good shape. Having the air gap between the foil and the wall will certainly protect from burn-through. Even if the pan only lasts a month, it’s still cost-effective preventative maintenance.

Back