Are there any smokers weber or otherwise that come with those probe wire pass-thru grommets factory installed?

Justin Hood

Or any type of functionally equivalent alternative. I have been smoking on a 22" kettle, so wouldn't even be opposed to a 26" if one of the premium versions have something like this. I don't like pinching the probe wires or running them through the vents, or drilling a hole.

grommet.jpg

The Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker comes with a grommet for the probes. I think on one of mine I had to pop the grommet in the hole, but that wasn’t that hard.

My 2013 22 inch WSM came with silicone grommet like that. It's easy to use kind of hard to put in though

^that is brilliant.

IDk how I missed the WSM has the silicon grommets already. Guess I just assumed they didn't, because I saw everyone grinding probe wire slots in them, and tjkoko's eyelet kit, must be a downside to using the factory grommets.

Amazon has 18mm (3/4") grommets and you can get an 18mm step drill bit there too. It's really quite easy to install the smaller grommet.

I bought the grommets that you pictured and installed one on my kettle and my Performer. Not too hard, just decide where you want it and carefully drill the hole using a uni-bit. Keep in mind the overlap of the top edge of the lid when it is in place. Deburr and install the grommet. I also have a small (1/8" I think) heat resistant grommet at grate level on the other side of my Performer, that I just install the probe in part way, just for a good temp reading at the grate. I got those from Mcmaster. Hope this helps.

Charlie

& my 22" weber grill grates with the hinges on the sides, can directly fit in a 22 WSM correct? Looks like they don't come with that stock.

I would just cut a (small) slot with a dremel or angle grinder and passwords through that, MUCH less chance of chipping the bejeebus out of the enamel and I don’t know about you but, I like having two probes, one “pit” one “protein” the smaller eyelet kit might make getting the probes through it more challenging.
The new thermopro probes I got have much more substantial terminal fittings which would most definitely would NOT fit through that fitting.
No dog in the fight, just an observation. The notch is pretty easy modification.
My WSM has been “slotted”(thanks Dave) and on the kettle, I really have not seen the need but, I might. Most of the time, my kettle cooks are not as temperature sensitive as many feel is critical so, for forty+ years, I’ve just learned how to pay attention to what I’m doing and fly by the seat of my pants. It’s an art, not a science...entirely. The science is in the basic design and understanding how these two (very different) units operate. When you see how they excel in their own rights, fire management becomes much more predictable and controllable.
I’ve used a thermometer on my kettle once in all my grilling life.
Sorry, that got a little off track but, I’m a believer in “If it ain’t broke...”

I just took delivery of a new Yoder 24"x48" charcoal grill. It already has a probe pass-through port, but the more that I think about.... not sure that I like it. I have extras of that Weber pass-through grommet listed above, I will have to see if that will fit.

I just took delivery of a new Yoder 24"x48" charcoal grill. It already has a probe pass-through port, but the more that I think about.... not sure that I like it. I have extras of that Weber pass-through grommet listed above, I will have to see if that will fit.
I would love to hear what you think of this grill once you start using it. That is a serious grill! On my dream list!

I would love to hear what you think of this grill once you start using it. That is a serious grill! On my dream list!
All I've done so far is roll it off the trailer into it's new home, I haven't started the burn-in process yet (probably 35 lbs. of Kingsford briquettes.) I've been spoiled by the grill that's going out in the trash, with it's infinitely adjustable charcoal grate height. The Yoder only has 6 positions, but that should be sufficient.

Go big or go home. It's no often I need that much grill space, but I can't use it if I ain't got it. It is a big 'un, no doubt about it.

Back