Arc welding in the oven...

Frank in Colorado

TVWBB Super Fan
First time ever experiencing an element giving out... was wanting to heat up lunch today when this happened.
...it looked and sounded just like a stick welder!
Cannot find an element locally, need to order and will be over a week away. Good thing I have a grill for cooking dinner tonight.

2-IMG_2963.jpg

3-IMG_2964.jpg

6-IMG_2967.jpg

The hot spot looks like it's moving along the element - did it finally stop at the point where the element broke?

That sucks that you can't find an element locally. No decent appliance repair shops nearby?

Of course, your Man Card requires you to try to repair the element with duct tape at least once...;)

I think it broke at the point where I turned the oven dial off. It was really quite amusing as I was watching it. It got to the point where I figured best to turn it off... it is then when it broke.

There is an appliance shop/ dealer and a Lowe's some 40 miles away. The shop has not returned a call and Lowe's does not stock them. I like to try to buy locally (or at least local to me, living in the sticks) but it seems that Amazon will be the soonest delivery.

I googlied it and found this on yootoob which gives a realistic sound of it,
(seems to not an uncommon problem)

Yup.... had that happen 10+ years in the rental my g/f & I were in. Found a replacement element the next day in a rural hardware store one town away.

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU REPLACE IT. On some ovens, the element is always "hot", with the neutral/ground switched. You really do want to unplug the range when you replace it to avoid risk of electric shock.

Absolutely... I always trip the breaker.
Do you recall if it was soley replaceable from the front or did you need to pull it to perhaps access any fastening or wiring from behind?

Long time ago, I lost an element in an oven the day before Thanksgiving when I was gonna cook turkey for the whole family. Was able to find a new one quickly.

Just watched a video on replacement... the element comes out from the front... they advised to not let the wires, when disconnected, don't let them drop else I will be pulling it out.

Absolutely... I always trip the breaker.
Do you recall if it was soley replaceable from the front or did you need to pull it to perhaps access any fastening or wiring from behind?

When I replaced the element, after removing the screws, the element disconnected with a pair of fixed spade connectors. I don't recall a drop hazard with the connectors behind the cavity. I do recall that the only reason I pulled the range forward was to pull the plug. We were living in a farmhouse converted to a duplex, and I did not have access to the breaker panel.

Got it, thanks. I have a breaker that I tripped and took the bad element out from the front. The insulation stabilizes and keeps them apart and in-place. At least I can use the cook top until the new one comes in.

First time for everything... the joys of home ownership.

Ha. Appliance problems, electrical issues (I'm chasing a GFCI issue,) plumbing, heating..... crud, that reminds me, I've been meaning to order a spare hot plate ignitor and a spare flame sensor for our furnace.

That happened to me once. I'd never seen anything like it before and I have to say, it kinda freaked me out when I looked on the oven and saw what was happening.

Back