Applewood Smoked Beef Back Ribs

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
Beef back ribs were on sale at one of our local butchers for $3.99/lb, so I couldn't resist and picked up a rack.

Some photos of the uncooked ribs, unseasoned and seasoned. When I bought them, I tried to pick out the meatiest rack, but it was pretty obvious that the butchers were trimming these to maximize yield on rib-eye steaks rather than beef back ribs...which is also what I would totally do if I were a butcher :D.

Action shots. This cook was done on the Performer using lump charcoal and applewood at 275°F, with a nice thin blue smoke throughout the entire cook.

Finally, some plated pics of the sliced up rack. The flavor was good, but the tenderness wasn't optimal, as I probably pulled the ribs off the grill too early. My instant-read thermometer was consistently showing an internal temperature of 200°F, and I didn't feel much resistance when inserting the probe into the meat, but when it came time to actually eat the ribs, some sections of the rack were still a little chewy. Oh well, at $3.99/lb, I'm not complaining. Thanks for looking!

Great cook Jerome, wish I could find some beef ribs around here would really like to give them a try.

Back