Apple-Brined Whole Turkey

Has anyone tried this recipe with a turkey breast? If so, what adjustments did you make? I have read through as much as I can and it looks like a lessened brine, drying and cook time are key. Any advice? I have an 8-pounder in the fridge ready to go.

Ed,

About a month ago I did an 8 lb turkey breast and shortened the brine time in half. Overall, the breast was only okay. I have done many whole turkeys and they have always turned out better. My wife wanted me to try the breast, so I did. In future I will do whole turkeys. It is no more trouble than a breast, and I get the breast (more moist IMO) and I get all the other turkey pieces that I freeze and use in other recipes (a smoked turkey thigh adds a wonderful flavor to a pot of beans).

Ray

Chris, Just tried the brine procedure and cook on a 13 lb. turkey.

The recipe says to cook at a temperature of 325 to 350 F. I assume this is at the cooker top lid vent. I used a regular thermometer to measure temp at the top vent and a remote reading thermometer to measure the temp at the top grate. For a 325 to 350 F at the top, I got about 250 to 275 at the top grate. I maintained about 325 F at the top grate with a top vent temp between 400 to 425 F. The bird cooked in less than three hours. The skin came out darker and drier than expected. When I now smoke, I always measure cooking temperature at the first grate and put the remote thermometer about half way up near as possible to whatever I’m cooking. I’ve learned the hard way of trying to cook using the top vent to maintain temperature at the first grate.

Thoughts/comments

I will definitely try this again. If I don’t succeed the first time, try - try again.

Biff

Originally posted by Biff Krekling:
Chris, Just tried the brine procedure and cook on a 13 lb. turkey.

The recipe says to cook at a temperature of 325 to 350 F. I assume this is at the cooker top lid vent. I used a regular thermometer to measure temp at the top vent and a remote reading thermometer to measure the temp at the top grate. For a 325 to 350 F at the top, I got about 250 to 275 at the top grate. I maintained about 325 F at the top grate with a top vent temp between 400 to 425 F. The bird cooked in less than three hours. The skin came out darker and drier than expected. When I now smoke, I always measure cooking temperature at the first grate and put the remote thermometer about half way up near as possible to whatever I’m cooking. I’ve learned the hard way of trying to cook using the top vent to maintain temperature at the first grate.

Thoughts/comments

I will definitely try this again. If I don’t succeed the first time, try - try again.

Biff
I always measure the temp at the grate i'm cookinging the food on. If you are using both grates then measure the temp at the top grate since it's the hotter of the 2.
icon_wink.gif

By George I think you may be right!!
Interesting thta Mverick list it at MSRP $14.99,
C&B has it forMSRP $9.95 and BBQ Galore sells it for $7.98? Was it on sale or is that the regular price?

Just proves that it pays to shop around. My problem was that i didn't even know this gadget existed before I saw it at C&B. I haven't been to a BBQ Galore store before. My daughter lives in Houston and they have stores there. I will have to give my wallet to my wife for safekeeping,though!!!

Originally posted by Biff Krekling:
Thoughts/comments...
Sorry, I missed this thread.

I measure temperature using a thermometer installed in the lid, not stuck through the lid vent. I don't worry about the temp at the grate, I just know from experience that 325-350*F measured at the lid works. Kind of like I don't put a thermometer on the rack in the oven when I bake...the oven's thermostat is located at the top of the oven, out of the way. Works just fine. But I will stick a probe thermometer into the turkey breast to monitor internal meat temp.

Anyway, if you were measuring 400-425*F at the lid, you probably overcooked the turkey.

Regards,
Chris

Phil, that is so cool! Any chance you could start off a new discussion with that post so that it can have its own trail of feedback?

I gotta try that!

Phil:

Could you expand on your experience with the bucket turkey; problems, successes, recommendations, etc. We go camping quite a bit and this is something the teenagers would get a kick out of.

Thanks, Ken

Hi Chris,
I smoked a turkey this past weekend exactly as you posted. I had a group over and I'm still getting calls raving about the turkey. This is the best recipe I have tried yet. Thanks so much.The turkey was so moist and and the flavour was amazing. Thanks so much.

Danny

Thanks for the recipe Chris. I've used Keri's apple bring the past couple of years and wanted to give this a whirl this year. I'm curious about the cloves. I almost didn't include them. Walmart was sold out of whole cloves except for the "premium" kind in the jar at $9.18. I had to go to Food Lion later and they had some on sale for $3.24. Do the cloves make a huge different in the end result?

Jane, just did an apple brined turkey this morning. Tweaked the recipe to include maple syrup, and honey. Smoked it with pecan wood at around 350. Came out tremendous. The skin was flavorful and edible
icon_biggrin.gif
. The meat was moist and had a slight taste of apple along with honey. This was my second turkey that I've done brined. I'm totally sold on it. If you've got the time brine.

Back