Apple-Brined Whole Turkey

Noticed in Keri's brine that it needs to be adjusted if frying the turkey. I'm doing one smoked and one fried using Chris' brine. Do I need to make any changes for the fried one?

Thanks!
Todd

Hi Chris,

Just pulled the turkey out of the brine to let it dry - brine and turkey smell a little like ginger - I only used 3 oz and followed yoyr recipe - how should it smell when done

thanks

Hmmm...I don't really pay attention to the smell, but ginger is very fragrant and probably stands out. If you're worried, though, don't be because I'm not a big fan of fresh ginger and the turkey turns out tasting good and not overly gingery.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply, I think you are correct. I have smoked birds before, but never used a brine, lookin forward to this one. got my cherry chips sokin in red wine and apple juice as well and the bird sittin airing out. I'm in D.C., it's snownin here.

On a side note I used to do whole hogs in South Carolina - I like the little stuff better.

Got another pointer for everyone. Instead of buying a special container to brine, I used the vegie drawer from the refer and put it back in it's place - worked perfect

Will let you know how I did.

Wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving

Darn, but that's an original idea, Scottie! And only your 4th post, too. Welcome to the group.

Now, where do I put those veggies...

Enjoy that turkey. Happy Thanksgiving,
Rita

Well, it is an excellent idea, 'cept my husband drilled a hole in my bottom meat drawer next to the freezer blower, so that when it cools, the cold air from the freezer blows onto the side of that drawer, and our beer stays at 29 degrees. Guess I don't have a meat drawer anymore, it's now the beer drawer, but the one above it is for veggies. It's my old SxS fridge, and it does hold an entire case of beer.

Do you think he would let me use his half fridge in his office for beverages? No!

Jane we're doing two 12 lb. birds tomorrow. I did try to tuck the wings but they must have move. I think he was still alive. How do you tuck them and do you have a pic of it like that? Thanks and Aloha!

Greg Kemp

Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
Well, you've convinced me to do one this way, another one in the fryer, injected with cajun butter. I have never used a pan, guess it's a good idea for the drippings. One thing I always do is tuck the wing tips under. The wings, just like Martha Stewart, are my favorite part, along with the dark meat.

Gosh, I don't have a picture, but if you have the breast side up, take the wing tips and fold them behind the joint they are attached to so that they stay down on the backside. The ends should fold behind the joint they are connected to on the wing. Does this make sense? Man, I don't know how else to explain it.

If you go to turkey selection and prep on the main site, it says the same thing. No pics though:

"For neat appearance, tuck the wing tips behind the back and pin the neck skin to the back using toothpicks or short skewers."

Thanks Jane. Next timeI'll try that. We did Chris A's brine again and it was a hit.

Aloha!

Greg Kemp

4510643570.jpg

Greg, imagine you are lying on your back at the beach with your hands at your sides. Now, raise your hands over your head and put your hands behind your head. Your forearms should now be perpendicular to your body and your upper arms should form a triangle to your body. Same thing for the bird, tuck its hands behind its back.

Thanks Ron, Great visual description! I'll try that next time!

Paul, the birds took 2.5 hours at 350 until I did a radical masectomy putting the breast meat aside to finish the rest of the bird and I rotated them to get the toching parts to be on the outside. Total for rest of carcass was another hour at 325.

My first brined was better several weeks ago but everybody loved it since they didn't try the first one to compare. I think 2 birds at one time was more challenging but I learned a lot. Managed to save some drippings for some real tasty gravy.
Everybody wants me to make Chris's Apple brined bird for Christmas too!

Aloha!

Greg

Hi Chris,

Wanted to let you know that this turned out most excellent. Did a 16lb bird, had 8 people over and the bird got devoured. Didn't do a practice run first, I had confidence from all others who posted their reply to you.

Thanks again, I will do this from now on

Greg, I was just looking at your outfit and noticed those bolts coming up through your grill. What are they for? If you removed them you probably wouldn't have had to do radical surgery.:)

That's my homemade adjustable raised grid which has carriage bolt heads resting in lower grate.

Homemade raised and multi-level grates

The one wing came missing. I removed the breast meat after 2.5 hours because it had come to the desired temp. but not the thighs especially the ones touching. After I cut out the breast meat I spun the birds 180 degrees to expose the sides that were touching. My first solo Apple brined came out much better. This one was drier, so thank goodness it was brined. All in all a great Thanksgiving. How was yours Paul?

Aloha!

Greg

I see someone asked earlier about deep frying the apple brine turkey...how’s this for scary!
That’s my buddy after we just pulled his apple-brined turkey out of the fryer! Makes a great smoked bird, to much sugar for the fryer! But then again, it was over a year ago and we still laugh so hard we cry…so I guess it’s a priceless holiday memory…can you imagine bringing that home to your wife!

Thanks Todd R! I just came back to update this thread as well re: frying with this brine. As you stated, too much sugar for the fryer. Mine also came out looking like a meteorite though I guess not as black as the pic you included. Meat was still delicious, but skin was a disaster. I still preferred the smoked one.

Back