Apple-Brined Turkeys

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
Each year my wife prepares a turkey dinner for her students and their parents. Her preparation involves me smoking two turkeys for her. ;)

Last evening was the annual session. On Monday I purchased two Walmart specials (enhanced for $0.88/lb. . . . these were 14-pounders). I spent the day defrosting them. That evening I prepared the brine. Normally I use Bryan S.'s apple brine. This time I used Chris's from the cooking section (both are similar). I had used this one last weekend for our own turkey. Good stuff!

I pulled the birds Tuesday evening and let them air dry in the refrigerator. Last night I was organized (unlike most years). As my wife noted, I didn't complain once about this. :)

I should have taken more photographs, but allow me to say: these were fabulous! I used apple wood, 300-325 for a little less than four hours!

Great color...I bet was good.

Did you foil once you got the color you wanted ? Or no foil ?

I smoke one bird in each WSM . . . less hassle, although more fuel. No biggy.

I do not foil my poultry.

I have read all the posts regarding brining enhanced birds . . . those results have not mimicked mine. I always purchase the cheapest birds (which tend to have the higher salt solutions). I cut the salt a bit in the brine, but not a whole lot. Birds do not taste salty to us or our guests.

Gald to see this, I am doing a 325* T-bird for the first time Thurs AM. I've done a Kettle bird but not on the WSM at 325* yet. Looks fantastic.

Back