Anyone wash and re-use alum. foil?

Jamie Berry

TVWBB Fan
The amount of alum. foil i use for each cook is getting kind of ridiculous. Not to mention detrimental enviromentally speaking. I've read that you can wash and reuse but not sure if this works or not. Any of you do this?

Is it really worth wrapping the water bowl in foil just to save time for clean up? I've found that pouring off the goop and wiping with a clean sponge does a great job and my water bowl is now seasoned and the sludge just slides off and is less work than wrapping the bowl then unwrapping and trashing 2 lbs. of foil.

any ideas on how to do a foil free que?

Why change the foil every cook?

I use mine untill it looks so bad i dont wanna cook over it again.

And thats far from everytime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamie Berry:
any ideas on how to do a foil free que? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your cooler is clean, you can preheat with hot water, dry, and put butcher paper wrapped meat inside with wadded up newspaper or similiar to eliminate air space.

If you're talking about pre-resting, although I prefer the bark of not wrapping in foil, I admit I sometimes do. It's certainly not necessary though if cooking at temps under 300.

Regarding the pan, I used to not foil my pan at all unless doing hi heat. Now, if using water, I only wrap the inside of the Brinkman pan, from the edge of the rim down around halfway down so drippings won't bake on. I wouldn't recommend cooking with a dry pan and no foil, though.

It does not have to be detrimental environmentally. You can take the aluminum foil along with your aluminum cans and recycle them. Its only pennies on the dollar if your lucky but it does not go into the landfill.

real simple save foil I don't foil it
icon_biggrin.gif
to each his own .I just wash mine out with dawn and the water hose when Iam done looks as good almost as new .But I use water in all cooks but poultry.so no gunk gets burned on the pan . I use a caly saucer for poultry and foil it but that foil since it is poultry I change every time . but then I don't do much poulltry on the WSM .

I've been using those cheap aluminum pans with wire grates in the bottom for several reasons. I'm finding that if I spray the pans and grates with PAM before getting underway then I can wash them out really easily and reuse. It also keeps the grease out of the water bowl (I run dry) so the aluminum there stays clean for a long time.

They also work great for transporting. I can prep in the same pan that I'm going to cook in and carry it right to the cooker. Also, I can foil/unfoil in a matter of seconds.

Russ

I wash and reuse foil, zip locks, old rags, dirty socks, foil pans, why waste a perfectly good product and spend money you don't have to ? I need all my money for MEAT! Coals and more useless gadgets.

Back