Anyone successfully able to cold smoke with the WSM

Another vote for the Amazen products. I have the 12" tube and the 6x8" pellet smokers. The only limitation I have is the ambient outdoor temps. These products do produce some heat, but thats is not really an issue if its cold out. I wait for winter time and have no issue at all keeping the temps below 85 degrees. I'd love to do some lox or gravlox, curious if it leaves a fishy smell in the cooker? Not sure I'd like that...

Before even thinking of cold smoking, I suggest anyone interested to read this first. It can be VERY dangerous with some foods. This is reliable information:

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cold_smoking.html

I regularly cold smoke cheese and I and my family LOVE it. I use an Amazen tubular smoke generator (the 6" works perfectly in the 14.5 and the Mini and while I haven't used it in the 18.5 I am sure it will do well there, also. I get two hours of smoke out of the generator and pull the cheese after one and one half hours. It is EXTREMELY easy to use. Basically, it is done all by time. You just load the generator with pellets (I prefer Apple wood pellets that I get from a Treager dealer - a fraction of the price from Amazen due to the large amount). If you have a smoking buddy, or two, suggest you split a big bag for economy...

I use my Maverick 732 to insure that the temp stays under 90 degrees or so. I prefer to do this in the winter, fall, or spring, due to the temperatures. However, I wouldn't hesitate to try it in the summer, either early in the morning or late at night when the temperatures are low. If outside temps are at 90 degrees you will find it difficult or impossible to run below 100 degrees and that is NOT good for the cheese.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back