Anyone smoke with pear wood?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So i have a pear tree in my yard that is not producing anything worth eating both in quantity and quality. Most of the lower branches have been cut off so there is a very little amount at the top of the tree that is "producing." I was thinking about cutting it down just to get rid of it and was wondering if I should save some to smoke with. Anyone ever us pear wood to smoke? Also would you ever consider selling some of it for others to use or is it not worth the extra time to cut it up?

Depends on if you like pears or not, I guess. You could devote your energy to improving the tree or cutting it up. I imagine pear wood is good for smoking. You could always prune some crossing branches or whatever and see what you can do with the wood.

I don't imagine that there is a strong market for a tree's worth of pear wood. If you do go this route, be aware of the ethics and legalities of transporting firewood re spreading bugs.

Depends on if you like pears or not, I guess. You could devote your energy to improving the tree or cutting it up. I imagine pear wood is good for smoking. You could always prune some crossing branches or whatever and see what you can do with the wood.
There is definitely no saving this tree i can guarantee you that

Cut it up and let it season pear wood is mild and great with poultry and pork and I would love to have a tree full.

There you go, Seth. I guess it's up to you on how much time and effort you are willing to put into it. It obviously has value as either smoke wood or fire pit wood. If it were my tree, I would cut it up and keep it. Or share it with friends and family.
I have a Bradford pear that will be coming down this year for fire pit wood only. What a POS tree!

I’ve never smoked with pear.
Seems like it would be similar to apple.
One of our best friends has a pear orchard so I will find out this summer.

I've used apple, pear, plum, peach, cherry & orange for smoking. All of which impart a milder flavour, grate for poultry, pork & delicate seafood.

My favourites at the moment are orange and olive wood. Mind you I don't mind the "heavy-hitters" of mesquite, hickory when the cook demands it.

I cut down a pear tree in my yard a few years ago. I stacked it for a couple of summer months. I smoked a pork shoulder and later a few ribs using the dried wood. It produced some of the best smoke flavor I have ever had. It was a relatively mild flavor. I normally use hickory, oak, or cherry depending on what is available. Pear is not readily available here. I prefer hickory for pork ribs, oak for brisket, and cherry for chicken. I would use pear for the pork if it was available. Try it. I think you will like it.

Good wood to add to the smoker or grill. Like others said, it’s mild. I like it with chicken and fish. Store it in a plastic tote, or at least up off the ground. Bugs love fruit woods.

Back