Anyone ride an electric bike?

Mark Silver

TVWBB Wizard
What do you have? Why did you choose the one you have? How much do you ride it? Likes and dislikes? I like to hear about your experiences before I tell you about mine (I just bought one).

I had an Bussetti electric folding bike. 40 volt, 20 in wheels, 700watt max hub motor. I used it to commute about 15 miles to work and 15 miles back. Then I used it on our boat to haul groceries. After about 4 years it broke, I could not figure out what was wrong and no one would fix it. It took me about 2 years to fix it. I got a new battery (not the problem) a new motor and controller (the problems). Then I sold it as I really don't have a use for one now. They are fantastic and fun! Mine had throttle and assist and I would go for both again. Buy a brand that is well known and have local shop support and a great warranty as I doubt you want to send a bike back when it has a problem. Be aware that most of them are quite heavy. Mine was over 50lbs. Also replaceable hopefully generic batteries that can be charged on or off bike would be nice. Hope that helps.

I started looking at at an Aventon Adventure 2 fat tire ebike. I went to a local shop to look at one and take a test ride but they didn’t have any built and it would have been the weekend until they did. This bike weighs 77 lbs. with the battery installed. I asked the bike shop owner what kind of rack was needed and he said the best was a Thule Easyfold XT2 for ~$1,000. I found one one FB marketplace used twice and after negotiating, got it for $400. This rack uses different straps for fat tire bikes which are sold separately ($29). The seller was selling for a friend who was working remotely but had to move back to KY and left it to be sold. I asked what kind of bike did he use the rack for, and she said “this one and it’s for sale, too. He only rode it 7 times before he had to move.” It still had the little tire spikes on it. It’s a Dutch-made Gazelle Ultimate C10+ HMB (H=hybrid, M=mid transmission (not hub) and B=Bosch). He had added a Garmin bike computer, a specialized shock seat-post, new seat, a chain that attaches to the built in cafe lock, a rear carrier bag that converts to panniers, and an under seat bag with tire repair tools including CO2 cartridges, an extra tire tube and a water bottle (I have the original post and seat). Approx. $800 worth of extras. After negotiating, I bought it for about $200 more than I would have on the Aventon. It’s max speed is 28 mph and it’s all pedal assist. You can’t just push the throttle and go. It has 4 modes, Eco, Sport, Tour and Turbo. I had it up to 18 mph in Sport mode. At speed, depending on gear, one manual pedal equals ~8-10 assisted. There are no big hills here but I’ll find one and check it out. That’s where ebikes are supposed to shine. Since it’s a hybrid, I can ride on pavement and dirt trails, but just not anything rocky or slippery. It weighs around 60 lbs. with the battery installed. I’ve only ridden it a few times in the am before the temp gets to the 90’s (105 degrees expected today), but what a blast to ride.

I have a Mokwheel ebike that I love! I didn’t want to spend a fortune, it was $1399, got it last Fall. I looked at dozens of different brands online but was hesitant to buy one without seeing it. Then I saw there was a Mokwheel dealer near me so I checked it out and came home with one! It’s a class 2, 20 mph max and has a twist throttle which I hardly ever use. The battery is 48v 16ah, I get 30 miles on a charge. The fat tire ebikes are heavy, if the battery dies or something else fails you’re going to have a hard time just pedaling it home! I’ve got about 500 trouble free miles on it.
1A56FE10-CE93-426A-AB3C-A8E3C69AE4EB.png
2D87379C-7ECE-40E1-BABA-B93426DA3DF2.png

I started looking at at an Aventon Adventure 2 fat tire ebike. I went to a local shop to look at one and take a test ride but they didn’t have any built and it would have been the weekend until they did. This bike weighs 77 lbs. with the battery installed. I asked the bike shop owner what kind of rack was needed and he said the best was a Thule Easyfold XT2 for ~$1,000. I found one one FB marketplace used twice and after negotiating, got it for $400. This rack uses different straps for fat tire bikes which are sold separately ($29). The seller was selling for a friend who was working remotely but had to move back to KY and left it to be sold. I asked what kind of bike did he use the rack for, and she said “this one and it’s for sale, too. He only rode it 7 times before he had to move.” It still had the little tire spikes on it. It’s a Dutch-made Gazelle Ultimate C10+ HMB (H=hybrid, M=mid transmission (not hub) and B=Bosch). He had added a Garmin bike computer, a specialized shock seat-post, new seat, a chain that attaches to the built in cafe lock, a rear carrier bag that converts to panniers, and an under seat bag with tire repair tools including CO2 cartridges, an extra tire tube and a water bottle (I have the original post and seat). Approx. $800 worth of extras. After negotiating, I bought it for about $200 more than I would have on the Aventon. It’s max speed is 28 mph and it’s all pedal assist. You can’t just push the throttle and go. It has 4 modes, Eco, Sport, Tour and Turbo. I had it up to 18 mph in Sport mode. At speed, depending on gear, one manual pedal equals ~8-10 assisted. There are no big hills here but I’ll find one and check it out. That’s where ebikes are supposed to shine. Since it’s a hybrid, I can ride on pavement and dirt trails, but just not anything rocky or slippery. It weighs around 60 lbs. with the battery installed. I’ve only ridden it a few times in the am before the temp gets to the 90’s (105 degrees expected today), but what a blast to ride.
I rode test drove a Gazelle, don’t remember which model, it had a belt drive instead of a chain. It was more than I wanted to spend but they are very nice bikes with excellent components.

The Gazelle belt drives are the Ultimate C8 HMB ($3,200), the Ultimate C380 ($3,600), and the Arroyo C5 HMB Elite ($4,000). Too rich for my blood, too.

Be safe. I did 4k (fortunately accident free) miles last year riding to/from work on a non-electric bike. I understand that injuries on e-bikes can be much more serious due to the higher speeds involved.

I started out with a HeyBike Mars $999 inc. shipping and tax. It’s a good little bike too. Much smaller with 20” wheels but with the seat and handlebars in the highest position I felt very comfortable on it. (6’4”-265lbs.) My wife (5’4”) uses it now. It’s very versatile and folds in half for transporting. No mechanical problems with this one either.
9BBC8095-8D57-47EF-A310-8D8B3A91AECC.png

Be safe. I did 4k (fortunately accident free) miles last year riding to/from work on a non-electric bike. I understand that injuries on e-bikes can be much more serious due to the higher speeds involved.
I used to be a huge bike rider during and after college. I was working for The Eugene, OR Parks and Rec Dept. leading small bike tours (around the rim of Crater Lake was the most fun-the only problem for most because of the elevation changes was you climb for an hour to get to the top of the hill, race downhill for a minute or two and then you’re climbing again- not to mention the “Beware-Loose Gravel” signs speeding downhill.) They wanted me to lead an across the USA bike trip for the bi-centennial in 1976 and I was planning on it, but my plans changed when I joined the Police Department in 1975.

I bought a specialty ebike helmet with MIPS (to help protect your head from oblique impacts) because of the increased speeds.

Last edited:
I started out with a HeyBike Mars $999 inc. shipping and tax. It’s a good little bike too. Much smaller with 20” wheels but with the seat and handlebars in the highest position I felt very comfortable on it. (6’4”-265lbs.) My wife (5’4”) uses it now. It’s very versatile and folds in half for transporting. No mechanical problems with this one either.
View attachment 74886
I looked at these too, and liked them. My neighbor bought a similar looking and style one for his wife at Costco. It’s a little small for me. I’m 6’2” and 255-ish.

Last edited:
Wow, that’s a lot of miles! I always keep mine in PAS (peddle assist) mode 2 which cuts the motor off at 15 mph, I don’t need to go any faster than that. I have tried 3, (20 mph), it’s a little fast for me. Can’t imagine doing 28!
We’re just casual bike riders, we ride our regular ones as well. I have a Giant Cypress 1, my wife’s is a Canondale Adventure 1
03B03ADB-9452-4D48-80F5-4B916F70CC4E.png
A4A2A6FE-5EB7-4E61-BE0E-2BBB487F878B.png

Last edited:
My buddy, who I ride with, bought a QuietKat. He spent over $6000 for it, I told him he was nuts. Of course, if you look at the Trek, Specialized etc. brands their electric MTB’s can be $12,000. But then again, you can pay that much just for a frame for a regular bike!
672754BD-9369-41B3-96AE-89171C39986E.png

My buddy, who I ride with, bought a QuietKat. He spent over $6000 for it, I told him he was nuts. Of course, if you look at the Trek, Specialized etc. brands their electric MTB’s can be $12,000. But then again, you can pay that much just for a frame for a regular bike!
View attachment 74907
There’s an older model medium frame of this bike with an extra battery and 405 miles on it for sale near me for $4,300. They look like they can go anywhere.

I like them. I want one for the beach house...not on the beach but around town. I was waiting for them to nail down the technology a bit, like no self-igniting battery fires. It looks like they have improved in the last 2 years. I'm thinking $1200 or less though.

I always keep mine in PAS (peddle assist) mode 2 which cuts the motor off at 15 mph, I don’t need to go any faster than that. I have tried 3, (20 mph), it’s a little fast for me. Can’t imagine doing 28!
My experience is on a regular '90s style mountain bike with the radar speed trap signs. I can do 25-28mph in my highest gear, downhill, peddling with high effort, in my highest gearing. That is pretty much top speed for a regular bike, without higher gears, aero, and a fit rider.

I like them. I want one for the beach house...not on the beach but around town. I was waiting for them to nail down the technology a bit, like no self-igniting battery fires. It looks like they have improved in the last 2 years. I'm thinking $1200 or less though.
You should be able to find plenty at that price. Costco has a full size e-bike around that price range + checkout FB Marketplace for a used one.

Back