Anyone make there own SPG (salt pepper garlic)?

Tim K

TVWBB All-Star
I’ve heard a lot about people really loving the addition of a SPG rub on steaks, briskets, and just about anything else you can grill or smoke. I’ve looked up several different recipes, but they’re ratios are pretty much all over the board. Just wondering if anyone here males their own and what the ratio of salt, pepper, and garlic are.
Thanks,
Tim

I do 2 parts salt, 2 parts pepper, 1 part garlic powder, and 1 part onion powder. Absolutely love it. It's my grill salt, grilling seasoning, and I've actually starting using it instead of salt and pepper on my food when I eat.

I do 1 cup of Kosher salt and 1/4 cup each black pepper, granulated garlic and granulated onion. It's pretty much my house seasoning. I don't use salt in my rubs, I pre salt with SPG instead. Easier to keep track of how much salt I'm using.

1:1 kosher salt to course ground black pepper. I find that any other type of pepper grind isn’t right. The garlic powder needs to be more granular than powder. I typically put 1/2 of whatever I use to measure for my garlic. ie if I do 1Tsp each of salt and pepper then I do 1/2 Tsp garlic.

I too have gotten away from a cabinet full of various runs, I use mostly SPG for it all.

So as you see, you will just have to try some different ratios to see what is right for you. Now I do have to go and make some as I did run out. I put very little pepper in mine as I really only like black pepper on fries for some reason.

I have a pre made blend, although it's not called that, but the ratio I believe is 4:2:1 .

Salt : Garlic : Pepper

If I use on something like a big cut on beef like brisket, it always gets a lot more pepper added to it.
When using high doses it come off as pretty salty.

I'm also on a low salt diet and use 1 tsp of salt and 1 tbs. of garlic, onion and pepper in my SPOG.

I do 2 parts salt, 2 parts pepper, 1 part garlic powder, and 1 part onion powder. Absolutely love it. It's my grill salt, grilling seasoning, and I've actually starting using it instead of salt and pepper on my food when I eat.

This is my go-to ratio as well. I keep a shaker of it at all times, so easy to grab when needed.
For the world’s simplest rub, couldn’t see myself buying it, and I do like to manage the ratio myself. Thinking of even going lower on the salt, gotta keep my doc happy !!!

Back