Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

My Baratza Encore is loud. They're kind of known for it but it's just two dogs and me down there at 0630hrs. and the coffee is worth the noise. Besides, my hearing isn't the best from my years as a cop and surfing NJ in the winter most of my life(Surfer's Ear...it's a condition), so a loud coffee grinder, well, it's not as loud to me.
My wife hates the sound from our Baratza Sette 270wi……
Until she tastes the lattes that are made with the beans that are ground in it.

capresso infinity is fairly quiet and favorable reviews, the encore is loud but probably the best selling in the higher end coffee world and parts to repair are available

My wife hates the sound from our Baratza Sette 270wi……
Until she tastes the lattes that are made with the beans that are ground in it.
I can't blame her for not liking that sound. The Sette is a solid machine. My humble Encore sounds like an A320 spooling before takeoff.
But to your point, the coffe that it produces is worth it.

capresso infinity is fairly quiet and favorable reviews, the encore is loud but probably the best selling in the higher end coffee world and parts to repair are available
True. Something I didn't know when I bought it but was pleased to discover. Nothing has failed but I did replace the silicone funnel ring as a PM thing and the Baratza site has almost every crucial replacement part available for all of their machines. I learned they were purchased by Breville. Capresso is owned by Jura. It seems the only small players in the coffee business are local roasters.

Yeah, another thing I have noticed (I think due to the much more precise grind) IOW there is very little "dust" or "fines" everything is VERY consistent whereas with the flat burr KA my "medium" grind I could find to work best with the Moccamaster was kind of "all over the place" so I had to shoot for an "average" but there were still plenty of large pieces and lots of more "powdery" pieces. This OXO I don't see any of that to speak of. Everything is VERY uniform. And IDK if am imagining it but my brew tastes "richer?" but not the bitterness you might think. This may have opened up a whole new taste sensation for my coffee. Gotta say I am impressed as I did try the grinders "back to back" and the coffee from this is VERY nice.

Yeah, another thing I have noticed (I think due to the much more precise grind) IOW there is very little "dust" or "fines" everything is VERY consistent whereas with the flat burr KA my "medium" grind I could find to work best with the Moccamaster was kind of "all over the place" so I had to shoot for an "average" but there were still plenty of large pieces and lots of more "powdery" pieces. This OXO I don't see any of that to speak of. Everything is VERY uniform. And IDK if am imagining it but my brew tastes "richer?" but not the bitterness you might think. This may have opened up a whole new taste sensation for my coffee. Gotta say I am impressed as I did try the grinders "back to back" and the coffee from this is VERY nice.
I had a similar experience with the flat burr grinders I used for about 2 years before I blew the dust off the Baratza sitting new in my garage. They produced a generally uniform ground size but at a cost of dust and grounds flying all over the place. Although, I replaced the catch bin with a stainless cup that was shorter than the cheap plastic bin pictured. For sure an upgrade big time from ground coffee in a can, but learning is part of the journey 🙂Feima-Coffee-Grinder-600N-610N-_1_2000x.jpg

You know another couple things I noticed today that at first I thought I was imagining at first? First off "aroma". My ground coffee is MUCH more "aromatic" than from the KA grinder. I thought it was just me but did a back to back. Amazing difference. Secondly, my Moccamaster seems to "like" the grind from the OXO much better than from the KA.
When I first got the Moccamaster some may recall me asking about why the bed of beans did not look fully "wetted" and I tried all sorts of things and other than doing a full on "bloom" cycle (IOW letting it brew with no pot until about 1.5 cups) and then letting it sit a bit, then installing the pot and letting it finish.
Now (perhaps because the grind is so "consistent"?) the bed of grounds is fully wetted and settled. Without anything like that. Which I think is what is helping account for the much richer flavor I am getting and less bitterness. I mean to say my coffee has gone from good to "mmm-mmmm gooood" as Andy Griffith used to say. Just outstanding.
I think I found a "keeper". Now I just hope it lasts and holds up as well as the more robustly built KA

Well this wonderful OXO grinder bit the dust this AM. Was grinding up my fav San Francisco dark roast and it began making clunking noises. Then loud screeching noise, then simply motor running. No grind coming out. Took it apart, cleaned it. Managed to nurse it along by alternating between full coarse to normal grind settings and about 20 min later had enough for a pot.
I guess after the terrible disappointment the OXO coffee maker had been I should have known better and not sold my KitchenAid :( Now I am stuck back on the hunt for a good grinder, that A. won't break the bank, B. Won't send coffee fines all over the kitchen and C. Makes a GREAT cup o' joe for me
Was nice while it lasted

IDK, I bought it new off EBay, not at a regular "retailer". First thing they always ask about is a "receipt". I guess no harm in trying, but, I did so twice with my OXO Barrista Brain coffee maker. They replaced the carafe twice and once gave me an entire machine which of course also began leaking, before I finally gave up and bought the Tecnivorm Moccamaster.
So IDK, their track record of "quality" is poor at best. Thinking I might just cut my losses and give up on such a hopeless company

Well this wonderful OXO grinder bit the dust this AM. Was grinding up my fav San Francisco dark roast and it began making clunking noises. Then loud screeching noise, then simply motor running. No grind coming out. Took it apart, cleaned it. Managed to nurse it along by alternating between full coarse to normal grind settings and about 20 min later had enough for a pot.
I guess after the terrible disappointment the OXO coffee maker had been I should have known better and not sold my KitchenAid :( Now I am stuck back on the hunt for a good grinder, that A. won't break the bank, B. Won't send coffee fines all over the kitchen and C. Makes a GREAT cup o' joe for me
Was nice while it lasted
Baratza Encore. Top rated for good reason. Consistent grind...perfect companion to the Moccamaster. Easy to clean...I take the hopper off and put the vacuum or stick vacuum to the burrs.Be interesting to see how Oxo responds.
Although, there are so many on Amazon these days. That Oxo is top rated though. Wonder what failed??

Well I have reached out to OXO, and of course even though the thing was only bought in March they're making it VERY difficult to get any type of warranty "send us videos, send us pictures, send us receipt ad infinitum.
I guess like so much they sell they put more effort into features than into quality. I took it apart today. Inside a small DC PWM motor and control board. Then on top of the motor a small double planetary gear set with plastic housing, with some strange spring loaded pin coupling.
I am unsure what is wrong with it. I did not find any stripped or broken gears. The motor hums right along (seemingly the highest quality part in the unit other than the SS burrs) but even the top part of the burr set is plastic. So it spins along but when coffee beans are in it, the burr barely turns.
I guess I will try and buy the Baratza but it's a bit spendy for me right now. May have to resort to buying (shudder) pre-ground coffee :unsure: I took a couple photos so folks can see what is in there. Beginning to think maybe putting up with grounds all over the kitchen wasn't so bad after all with the KitchenAid. At least that thing was all solid metal. No plastic in there. The photo in the cup shows only about 2 tbs of grounds after a full minute of grinding. Normally if I do 2 cycles of grind the cup is filled So something is definitely broken. Link to video of it running as well.

20230802_100725 1.jpg20230802_163833.jpg20230802_163841.jpg

Well I have reached out to OXO, and of course even though the thing was only bought in March they're making it VERY difficult to get any type of warranty "send us videos, send us pictures, send us receipt ad infinitum.
I guess like so much they sell they put more effort into features than into quality. I took it apart today. Inside a small DC PWM motor and control board. Then on top of the motor a small double planetary gear set with plastic housing, with some strange spring loaded pin coupling.
I am unsure what is wrong with it. I did not find any stripped or broken gears. The motor hums right along (seemingly the highest quality part in the unit other than the SS burrs) but even the top part of the burr set is plastic. So it spins along but when coffee beans are in it, the burr barely turns.
I guess I will try and buy the Baratza but it's a bit spendy for me right now. May have to resort to buying (shudder) pre-ground coffee :unsure: I took a couple photos so folks can see what is in there. Beginning to think maybe putting up with grounds all over the kitchen wasn't so bad after all with the KitchenAid. At least that thing was all solid metal. No plastic in there. The photo in the cup shows only about 2 tbs of grounds after a full minute of grinding. Normally if I do 2 cycles of grind the cup is filled So something is definitely broken. Link to video of it running as well.

View attachment 76059View attachment 76060View attachment 76061
Great investigative work, Sir. Pretty weak response from Oxo. Noted.

This is rather unfortunate about OXO. Their products seem to be generally well designed for use. I'd have rather expected a better response for customer service. Guess I'll have to revisit my thoughts about OXO when buying kitchen gear now.

Well for :poop: giggles and grins I just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN1LDYQR/?tag=tvwb-20 if OXO comes through for me then it will simply be returned. If not, we'll see how this works. Seems well reviewed and better made than the OXO. I think anyway all these machines pretty much come out of the same few factories in China anyway

Well for :poop: giggles and grins I just ordered this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN1LDYQR/?tag=tvwb-20 if OXO comes through for me then it will simply be returned. If not, we'll see how this works. Seems well reviewed and better made than the OXO. I think anyway all these machines pretty much come out of the same few factories in China anyway
I've seen that one before looking at them on Amzon. I think you're right about production of these things. It really comes down to the power and torque of the motors and the quality of the burrs.

View attachment 76059View attachment 76060View attachment 76061
That's a shame and I had the opposite experience with customer service. I have the same grinder. After a year, I had an issue where some of the grinds leaked out of the bottom. I contacted OXO and, if memory serves, I did have to send them a them a copy of the receipt and a pic. They replaced it. No hassle at all. I do find that, with oily beans, sometimes I'll give the hopper a couple of taps on the top, if the beans aren't completely ground on the first go-around. It doesn't sound like that will help, but you never know!
I'm sorry that it's not working out for you, because I've been really happy with mine. I hope it gets resolved.

That's the trouble with an online sale. The device was brand new. But, I have no idea if the seller was an online retailer or not. And EBay's sales records are not easily discernible to actually determine if you bought it from an actual retailer or Tony Soprano's crew. They can tell by the S/N it's under a year old. When I had trouble with the Barista Brain brewers they did not make me jump through all the hoops
Could not get through a CS line (actually could not even find one) so I had to do it with their email support

Back