Anyone Here Using this Coffee Grinder?

That's the trouble with an online sale. The device was brand new. But, I have no idea if the seller was an online retailer or not. And EBay's sales records are not easily discernible to actually determine if you bought it from an actual retailer or Tony Soprano's crew. They can tell by the S/N it's under a year old. When I had trouble with the Barista Brain brewers they did not make me jump through all the hoops
Could not get through a CS line (actually could not even find one) so I had to do it with their email support
That's part of the problem right there. I'm in no way defending OXO, but it's "buyer beware" and can be a roll of the dice when buying from EBay, or any online retailer that's not authorized. It's kind of like Thermoworks. You might a few bucks buying them from Amazon, but Thermoworks will not provide warranty or technical services unless you purchase directly from them. In fairness to Thermoworks, they make that policy very clear on their site.

IMHO, EBay is sketchy. At least with Amazon, you always have a copy of the receipt and can easily tell if they're an authorized retailer.
Again, good luck and I hope that it works out for you!

Thing is when my Barista Brain brewer(s) kept crapping out they did not ask for ANY of this garbage. All they wanted was the s/n and yes that one too was bought from EBay. I gave them the s/n and they took care of business. As far as the TW policy? I don't agree with this at all. If you buy ANYTHING new, you send in the warranty card as asked you should have warranty period no ifs ands or buts. And I did all tat with both the brewer and with the grinder

Thing is when my Barista Brain brewer(s) kept crapping out they did not ask for ANY of this garbage. All they wanted was the s/n and yes that one too was bought from EBay. I gave them the s/n and they took care of business. As far as the TW policy? I don't agree with this at all. If you buy ANYTHING new, you send in the warranty card as asked you should have warranty period no ifs ands or buts. And I did all tat with both the brewer and with the grinder
I agree. Plus, that argument is out the window when an item is a gift.
What percentage of people actually get a "gift receipt " even if it's readily available? And how many of those that do actually provide it with the gift itself?
"I got it as a gift, of course I don't have a receipt nor do I know where it was purchased...end of story."

Well, here is a nice twist. Just now got email confirmation of my order for a new grinder. Honestly not sure if I will even use it. Maybe I'll just try the one out from Amazon. And if I like it simply keep the OXO as a spare or sell it

Well, here is a nice twist. Just now got email confirmation of my order for a new grinder. Honestly not sure if I will even use it. Maybe I'll just try the one out from Amazon. And if I like it simply keep the OXO as a spare or sell it
So Oxo is shipping a new one?

I admit to having two backup grinders...one for each house. Certain things I refuse to live without...fresh ground coffee every AM is one of them.

Agreed!

Yep, they sent me 2 emails. One with RA for the old one and the other notifying me of the new one coming. The new one I am buying is so inexpensive I may just give it a go since I already know how the OXO works, and then decide what to do. I don't have my hands on the one I just ordered but, from photos and such it looks awfully well built for the $$$$ and to be a solid performer.

Yep, they sent me 2 emails. One with RA for the old one and the other notifying me of the new one coming. The new one I am buying is so inexpensive I may just give it a go since I already know how the OXO works, and then decide what to do. I don't have my hands on the one I just ordered but, from photos and such it looks awfully well built for the $$$$ and to be a solid performer.
I bet it's going to be just fine. As you said, these things are coming out of several factories in China. Many are of similar...even identical design. Some add more technology...your touch screen feature for example. Looking at it and the Oxo side x side...you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

I admit to having two backup grinders...one for each house. Certain things I refuse to live without...fresh ground coffee every AM is one of them.
Like you, my whole day is ruined if there's no morning joe. I need to get some reserve grinders -- always be prepared.

.So what else is part of your "always gotta have coffee" back up plan in addition to back up grinders? Generator in case the power goes out? 50 pound bags of coffee beans in case of zombie apocalypse? Water cisterns?

;)

Last edited:
Like you, my whole day is ruined if there's no morning joe. I need to get some reserve grinders -- always be prepared.

.So what else is part of your "always gotta have coffee" back up plan in addition to back up grinders? Generator in case the power goes out? 50 pound bags of coffee beans in case of zombie apocalypse? Water cisterns?

;)
Something like that!!

Well the new one from Amazon came today. I gotta say right outta the box I am VERY VERY impressed. Workmanship is excellent, it's heavy too. Lots heavier built than the OXO which has a VERY tiny motor running through a double planetary. And the whole thing is plastic including the coupling holding the planetary set to the center burr.
The Shardor is very heavy, and I turned it on with no beans, whisper quiet. And runs at much lower speed than the OXO which likely explains the weight. Which may be in the motor and drive train.
Threw in some of my beans and gave it a whirl. Not only still whisper quiet, but fast on a mid level grind as well. Plus 2 year warranty. Also not sure how it works but the anti static measures work better than on the OXO as well.
Even more impressed thanks to the price. Honestly I think if you just approached it blind, ran it used it. You would easily say it's at least a $200 unit. Not a $59 one.
Now the question is will it hold up. We'll see. It will get used. The new OXO will stay in the box until I am sure of this one and may just end up on EBay

Well the new one from Amazon came today. I gotta say right outta the box I am VERY VERY impressed. Workmanship is excellent, it's heavy too. Lots heavier built than the OXO which has a VERY tiny motor running through a double planetary. And the whole thing is plastic including the coupling holding the planetary set to the center burr.
The Shardor is very heavy, and I turned it on with no beans, whisper quiet. And runs at much lower speed than the OXO which likely explains the weight. Which may be in the motor and drive train.
Threw in some of my beans and gave it a whirl. Not only still whisper quiet, but fast on a mid level grind as well. Plus 2 year warranty. Also not sure how it works but the anti static measures work better than on the OXO as well.
Even more impressed thanks to the price. Honestly I think if you just approached it blind, ran it used it. You would easily say it's at least a $200 unit. Not a $59 one.
Now the question is will it hold up. We'll see. It will get used. The new OXO will stay in the box until I am sure of this one and may just end up on EBay
Outstanding, Sir!
The coffee geek world is full of reviews for the usual suspects but there are so many other machines available now...like the one you just got...and likely many others on Amazon too. Also, you have to wonder if the Baratza(Breville) and Capresso(Jura) don't compensate for multiple favorable reviews over the lesser known brands that arecevery bit as good and quite likely better and far less expensive.

Does anyone use a manual grinder? I have this one. The grind is fantastic and adjustable. Its not physically taxing and you can take it on the road or use it when the power is out.

Almost did a spit take when I saw the price. Been thinking about buying something like that to use as a pepper grinder

Noticed something this AM. Wife was up before me, (she has to work to support me :D ) Anyway she made the coffee this AM. Anyway the coffee she used is a batch I just did in the new grinder yesterday to test it out. (I always grind about 2 or 3 days worth and seal in airtight container). Anyway Mocca Master is clear on the other end of the house, yet the aroma of the brewing reached all the way to me. Maybe my imagination but coffee was "richer" tasting as well. One thing I noticed about the OXO I don't notice about this one. When you check the burrs after grinding a batch, the burrs on the OXO were always "caked". While on this one they grind "clean". Not quite sure how else to describe it. But, I think where the OXO was basically "smashing" the beans between the burrs this one actually "grinds" them.

Noticed something this AM. Wife was up before me, (she has to work to support me :D ) Anyway she made the coffee this AM. Anyway the coffee she used is a batch I just did in the new grinder yesterday to test it out. (I always grind about 2 or 3 days worth and seal in airtight container). Anyway Mocca Master is clear on the other end of the house, yet the aroma of the brewing reached all the way to me. Maybe my imagination but coffee was "richer" tasting as well. One thing I noticed about the OXO I don't notice about this one. When you check the burrs after grinding a batch, the burrs on the OXO were always "caked". While on this one they grind "clean". Not quite sure how else to describe it. But, I think where the OXO was basically "smashing" the beans between the burrs this one actually "grinds" them.
So thumbs up thus far?
Also, how's the static with this one?

So thumbs up thus far?
Also, how's the static with this one?
Yep definitely a thumbs up (y) especially when I throw in the pricing point of only $59.
Static is nearly non existent as well.. WAY better than even the so called "non static" of the OXO. Honestly don't know how they do it, especially since it does not use a grounded power plug, and the catch tub is plastic. I think, it may have to do with the (what sounds like) much lower speed of the motor/burrs. Thinking by not whipping the beans to a pulp static buildup is kept to a minimum

Yep definitely a thumbs up (y) especially when I throw in the pricing point of only $59.
Static is nearly non existent as well.. WAY better than even the so called "non static" of the OXO. Honestly don't know how they do it, especially since it does not use a grounded power plug, and the catch tub is plastic. I think, it may have to do with the (what sounds like) much lower speed of the motor/burrs. Thinking by not whipping the beans to a pulp static buildup is kept to a minimum
I read somewhere that the plastic they use is treated to reduce static. I've found that the Baratza Encore does well with static...plus I use the wet spoon method and it works. I had to "modify" the Ariete a bit...I took a utility knife to the rubber "seal" they had that the grounds bin squeezed under...Royal PIA to wrestle it out after grinding and it made a mess...don't know why they put it there. Now it's great. Clean...each time no mess.

Last edited:

Back