Anyone else think meat prices are too high?

Seth Boardman

TVWBB Fan
So i wasn't quite sure where to put this but anyone not bbqing as much due to expensive meat prices? I used to be able to get racks of baby back ribs for about $10-15 but now they are close to $30 if not over! Even pork shoulders used to be .99 a lb now are well over $2 a lb. I still have 3 shoulders in the freezer so I'm good with those for a bit but want some ribs! I want to make a few things but don't want to pay double or triple for the meat. Anyone else in the same boat or am I being too cheap?

I just posted in "just conversation" that at one of our local chain grocery's had chicken wings for $10.99 a pound $33 and change for a little over 3 lbs. That's just nuts. I was getting chuck roast on sale for $1.89 a while back now it's $3.89 on sale.
Only thing that's still a bargain here is about every week one of the stores has chicken thighs, quarters or whole birds for $.99 a pound.

I think everything is too expensive, lol, always have.. but pork and especially beef is kinda crazy high at the moment, and here's the craziest part, sausage is fairly cheap....
just got a bunch of .89 cent chicken thighs, so eating a lot of chicken....

Yea, the last three times we went shopping was for legs, thighs, quarters., and sausage.
I'm set on moo and oink. Went in on a cow for 5 bucks a pound and have plenty of butts, ribs, and chops in the freezer.
Frozen pizza is pretty cheap.:D

Yes, prices are very high. Worry is they will stay high for a lot of items. Whatever the new normal they can squeeze out of all products and services.
Pot roast 6.99 on sale...
77, 99, 1.xx for shoulders, now close to 3.00.
Brisket, 549 packer and 899 for the flat.
Burgers, 399, sale...
Costco chicken still the best deal

The thing I can't hardly find regardless of cost are wings. I prefer the wingettes, already trimmed into the two edible pieces & the tip is discarded. I spoke to a butcher & he claims there's a shortage & the majority of them are being purchased by restaurants.

The thing I can't hardly find regardless of cost are wings. I prefer the wingettes, already trimmed into the two edible pieces & the tip is discarded. I spoke to a butcher & he claims there's a shortage & the majority of them are being purchased by restaurants.
Weird. Normally that's around the Super Bowl?

Don't get me wrong, I can still find them, just not when I want them! So when I do find them, I buy them & into the freezer they go.

Well I haven't smoked 1 thing yet this year. Just been in a funk for some reason. I had a bunch of meat go bad after a tornado hit then again after derecho 2 years apart from one another. Just never built up my supply and then the shortage of meat hit and now the price gouging. The best thing so far is I've rebuilt my wsm and got 1 for my oldest son and rebuilt it. I'm in a holding pattern waiting for a few parts. I haven't even grilled as much as normal. I've bought 3 new grills and haven't used any of them yet.

Crazy prices, I normally shoot 3-5 deer every year but had Covid last august and lost a lot of my drive, never shot any and grandson shot 1. may jump in this year and shoot a few for ground meat, the loin cooked any way is great and hard to mess up lol

Yeah....definitely too high.
Chucks are ridiculous. I just can’t pay that much for a chuck. Pork seems to be the most consistent and lower priced option where I shop with the exception of ribs which are at least $20 a rack. Not good.

I want ribs so bad but there's no way I'm paying that kind of money for them. I wish I would've bought like 20 racks back then but who would've known this was going to happen. I think I like ribs better than pulled pork to be completely honest. Don't get me wrong I love a good PP sandwich but there's just something about some super saucy fall off the bone ribs!

I feel the pain, but what are you going to do (eat)? If you think those prices are bad, I just took DW out for our anniversary and spent way too much on two prime rib dinners. Then add a nice gratuity and bam, anything coming off of a WSM looks down right cheap.

We don’t eat enough that it matters. Per Tony (above), if pot roast is 6.99/lb, that’s about $20 for a three pound chuck. Me ad DW will get a couple meals from that and maybe even have some left over to make some soup. Not like it used to be, for sure, but cooking good food at home is still the most economical way to eat.

I keep an eye out for sales and throw a bit in the freezer if I catch a good sale. Can’t deny that I’d jump on some .99/lb pork butt in a minute if it comes around again.

My wife and I don't go out to dinner much, so we haven't seen the prices on menus lately. I'll get the occasional pizza from my favorite joint, but his prices are still very, very reasonable.

We prefer to cook on our kettle, sit in the back yard and just relax while the Weber does its magic. I have a Galaxy Tablet that I set up when a good ball game is on, and we'll watch that outside. The idea that I'm going at my own pace, with my back yard for ambiance, is exactly what I want.

Since we'll more than likely be moving in the near future, we'll also have a new perk during our cooks. My father in law will smell it as he'll live across the street. He'll be over with a plate! Will I share? Gladly.

I always shop sales and keep my freezers well stocked. Still finding decent prices on most everything except some beef cuts. Just looked at an ad for a local supermarket, They have Choice chuck roasts or steaks for $3.99/lb. Another local store has Smithfield BBs for $3.34/lb. Not bad for a small city.

Yes, its super expensive now. I just paid $50 this past weekend at Costco for a 3 pack of Smithfield St Louis spares, so that worked out to around $16+ per rack. I smoked them for 6 hours at 225F and they turned out great.

The price for ribs is ridiculous. Friggin' ridiculous. At our Costco, the average price for St Louis ribs is $45.00.
I can't bring myself to pay that much. Yet:(

Back