Anyone eat snails?

We have a clamming get together coming up this weekend.
I will see about snagging a big snail this weekend for a cook.
Isnā€™t there a recipe expert here that could help me out ? ;)

As far as frog legs go I had great ones when I was in the Midwest.
Spiced/Battered, deep fried and stacked on a big plate. Yum.
They were like crispy chicken wings.
Iā€™ve also had some from a French Chef and I couldnā€™t get one down. šŸ¤®.
The gourmet ones looked raw.
Yes they were sautƩed but they still looked raw.
Yeah NO!

I understand one must cage the snails and give them corn meal to ā€œpurgeā€ some of the excreta before roasting with garlic butter. No, Iā€™ve never done it but, I spend way too much reading!

I understand one must cage the snails and give them corn meal to ā€œpurgeā€ some of the excreta before roasting with garlic butter. No, Iā€™ve never done it but, I spend way too much reading!
Article in the original post describes this. It sounds like yard snails can work.

I'm not sure I want to.

Best I can remember I've not had a snail before. Maybe in the 70s, someone shared a bite at a fancy rest, but it might have been sea urchin :sick:

Last edited:
1. BROOKS RESTAURANT'S ESCARGOT PROVENCALE
2. SNAILS WITH SHALLOTS IN PUFF PASTRY SHELLS
3. SNAILS IN GARLIC BUTTER
4. ESCARGOT TRUFFIERE
5. SNAILS
6. CRAPAUD (Mountain Chicken of Dominica) (Frog Legs)
7. FROG LEGS CALVADOS

A medium (~5ā€) sea moon snail shell I collected from the tidal flat beach when I lived next to Puget Sound in Edmonds, WA. I had one almost twice as big but I gave it to my friendā€™s daughter. Most shells are empty when I find them, but not always. I donā€™t think theyā€™re considered safe to eat because of potential accumulated poisons from the clams they eat. Iā€™m sure @Andy Kaminski has seen many of these on WA beaches
1711828957812.jpeg
1711828984026.jpeg

I was almost thinking this thread maybe should have been in the "humor" section? :D Hats off to anyone who can actually put one in their mouth LOL

Mark those are the ones we have around here.
I always see them alive but have never messed with them
I will have to look into the safety and legality of eating them.
That said,
I raise clams/oysters/mussels and have no problems eating them or the wild ones but I know about them and I donā€™t know anything about snails.
I always thought that the moon snails were like abalone and were kelp eaters
I use to dive for abalone when that Fishery was open.
We stay safe by looking up DNR bio-toxin reports prior to collecting and never collecting from warm shallows regardless of any reports.

We harvested razors yesterday at the ocean and will be going for steamers tomorrow in the Hood Canal.
There is a gazillion ways of eating the critters up here.
I think my favorite is walking around with a knife, some Tabasco and a lime squirter in my pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_4665.jpeg
    IMG_4665.jpeg
    71.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2105.jpeg
    IMG_2105.jpeg
    189.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3023.jpeg
    IMG_3023.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 4

Back